Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #406
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think you understand what Calibre Companion actually does. It's not a replacement for Calibre on your Mac; it's a companion for Calibre (hence the name) which you install on your Android device, and which then synchronises with your main Calibre library. You can then do library browsing, searching, etc (all offline) on your tablet, and once you've found a book which interests you, open it in your chosen reading app. It's a wonderful tool. Do take a look at it.
I will take a look, but actually I don't particularly want to use 2 apps to do all that; I really want a reader app that supports the collections functionality I've got used to in the Kobo (and to a lesser extent, the iOS Kindle app), and to be able to display any series information recorded in Calibre. The Kobo collections functionality is managed via Calibre - I set a metadata 'tag' in a specific column and that 'tag' is the collection/shelf that shows up on the Kobo when the book is sent to the Kobo.

I use Calibre purely to manage my ebook library; this is duplicated in LibraryThing where I also log my print books. Currently, I have over 4600 print books, and over 1600 ebooks. (There's some overlap: some titles I have both print and ebook versions, some of the ebooks are omnibuses which have been split into individual titles within Calibre.) LibraryThing is my master catalogue; that's why I'm keen to get the LT Browser app working again to use it as a checklist. That's where I will do the bulk of my searching - to check whether I own a specific title, and if I do, in what format as I'm trying to reduce the number of print titles I own.

So that's why I was asking about reader apps that can also import and display Calibre metadata rather than a separate app to do that. I'm too long away from Android to remember specific functionality from the Nexus; all I remember was that I copied everything to DropBox and FBReader linked to there to access my books, and I would basically see my directory structure (by author) and that was it (hence why I used to add series information as a prefix to the title). I'm hoping Android reader functionality has moved on from that.

I hope all this makes sense!
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #407
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I found a simple way to track series order. I created a doc in Google Docs that has all the series I read (87th Precinct, Rabbi Small series, etc) listed. I simpy copied and pasted lists from fantasticfiction.co.uk into my doc file. Then at the top I have a list of series that the doc contains, which I then convert to links pointing to the list for that series. This is my table of contents.

I save it as a doc file and send it to Amazon to send as a mobi file to my Kindle. I also have a copy of that on my Kobo.

It took about 15 minutes to make the thing up to begin with since I had to figure out how to do it and it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to add a new series to it. The longest part of the process is waiting for Amazon to convert it and send it back.

When I use it I find the series in the TOC, tap it's name and it takes me to the series order list for that series. It's all dead simple.

I don't really read series as such. If order really matters much I don't bother. Still, when there's a continuing character and a chronology I like to go in order and I find this very useful.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #408
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I will take a look, but actually I don't particularly want to use 2 apps to do all that; I really want a reader app that supports the collections functionality I've got used to in the Kobo (and to a lesser extent, the iOS Kindle app), and to be able to display any series information recorded in Calibre. The Kobo collections functionality is managed via Calibre - I set a metadata 'tag' in a specific column and that 'tag' is the collection/shelf that shows up on the Kobo when the book is sent to the Kobo.
Using Calibre companion (CC) paired with Moon + Reader looks to be one app. I simply navigate to the book I want to read in CC, using all of the metadata that I normally see in Calibre then click read or long press on the book and the book pops up in the reading app. Next time I want to continue reading the book I simply click on the book in the widget on my desktop and the book opens to the ple place I left off.

In my opinion it doesn't get any better then using CC paired with a reading app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 AM   #409
gabaldini
Enthusiast
gabaldini has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi, I just bought a new energy pro hd reader and I'd like to know what reader app is the best for learning languages, I'm actually using moon reader+ , is fine but I want to know if there is something better in android, something with translation and fine dictionaries. Thanks
gabaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #410
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaldini View Post
Hi, I just bought a new energy pro hd reader and I'd like to know what reader app is the best for learning languages, I'm actually using moon reader+ , is fine but I want to know if there is something better in android, something with translation and fine dictionaries. Thanks
Without a doubt the Kindle App. It has both translation (requires an Internet connection) and superb dictionaries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #411
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
In your research don't forget our wiki as a source E-book_software#Android. Many of the apps have their own page in the wiki and of course anyone can add more.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #412
Mike98058
Mike98058 began at the beginning.

Device: Moto G5+
Menestrello: Android, Free, epub3 support

Finally found an app which supports multimedia epub3 format. epub3 allows the reading (text) to be synchronized with listening (embedded mp3 of a human reader). This is much better than the text-to-speech (TTS) found in other ereaders. TTS relies on the robot voice, lacking the dramatic impact of a human reader, not to mention questionable pronunciation of some words. I haven't tested it with embedded video.

Highly recommend, even if you use it only to supplement a newer ereader. Also, the software was developed under FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software). So it's ...well, free!
Mike98058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #413
emma88
emma88 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle,Moon+,Calibre
Thanks Great list
emma88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #414
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
In your research don't forget our wiki as a source E-book_software#Android. Many of the apps have their own page in the wiki and of course anyone can add more.

Dale
Considering that the initial post is now over 7 1/2 years old, maybe you can put a link to the wiki at the top of it. Especially as this is a sticky thread.

A lot has happened in this field in the last 7 years.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #415
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
So having been a Marvin fan, but still awaiting my used iPad replacement.. via someone.

I now have a Kindle Fire HD 8 - 8" - Light and inexpensively got during post NYE sale.

Whats the closest thing to Marvin that one can get on Amazon Fire HD / Android Tablet for ePubs/ Mobis/ PDFs?
(I dont mind installing Play Store on it using XDA toolkit or Sideloading an APK)

Currently I am using the default Kindle reader & like the highlighting etc. but this is mostly some few books I have on Amazon cloud & would prefer not to rely on it.

Much rather push pull books via Calibre and/ or a Cloud drive with folders.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #416
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Which ones work well with e-ink, without scrolling or swiping, etc.?

And work with searches.

I currently use Orion Viewer for most pdfs, but haven't found a good alternative for epub and mobi. Boyue's software has trouble finding and/or opening some of my epubs. And then with searching them.

Librera might be an option, but the search interface doesn't work well on mid-sized screens.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:27 AM   #417
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Which ones work well with e-ink, without scrolling or swiping, etc.?

And work with searches.

I currently use Orion Viewer for most pdfs, but haven't found a good alternative for epub and mobi. Boyue's software has trouble finding and/or opening some of my epubs. And then with searching them.

Librera might be an option, but the search interface doesn't work well on mid-sized screens.
I prefer Alreader
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:37 AM   #418
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Six-seven years ago I downloaded them all, and without a shadow of doubt preferred FBReader. For various reasons:

• Good layout
• Syncs to the cloud
• Read on multiple devices with sync
• Highlight your favorite quotes, and access them from you PC
• Translate with the dictionary you prefer, with ColorDict (install any you'd like, but scrape first)
• Translate with Google Translate

What's not to love? Well, it ain't that good at reading a books CSS it's been said, and I believe that. But I don't care much about that. What app is best today, I don't know. Maybe I'd prefer another today, could very well be, but I think I'd still go with FBReader, if I had to start fresh.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #419
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I check FBReader out once in a while to see if it has been updated. Perfect for me, except it does NOT have multi touch zones on Android, a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Six-seven years ago I downloaded them all, and without a shadow of doubt preferred FBReader. For various reasons:

• Good layout
• Syncs to the cloud
• Read on multiple devices with sync
• Highlight your favorite quotes, and access them from you PC
• Translate with the dictionary you prefer, with ColorDict (install any you'd like, but scrape first)
• Translate with Google Translate

What's not to love? Well, it ain't that good at reading a books CSS it's been said, and I believe that. But I don't care much about that. What app is best today, I don't know. Maybe I'd prefer another today, could very well be, but I think I'd still go with FBReader, if I had to start fresh.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:35 AM   #420
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
What do you mean by multi touch zones?
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one