Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
dsimbiriatin
dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Inkbook Lumos
[E-Ink launcher, 4.2+] Simple Ink Launcher

Hi there,

Some time ago I started development of a lightweight launcher which could replace the default one on my InkBook Lumos. The goals I set were to have something which is lightweight, fully adapted to E-ink screens and allows to select a reader application of choice as the default one.

The launcher codebase is licensed under GPLv3 and freely available here:
https://bitbucket.org/dsimbiriatin/s...cher/wiki/Home

The current version is 1.1 and has such features as:
- Ability to define default reader application
- Run reader application automatically during device startup
- Hide some applications, so they are not visible on the launcher
- Apply custom icons theme (ADW launcher themes are currently supported)
- Wi-Fi, backlight toggles available on the launcher toolbar

In theory, supports any Android device with version 4.2 and higher.

Screenshots (more of them are available on project's Wiki page):
Spoiler:

Downloads:
version 1.1

Last edited by dsimbiriatin; 06-21-2019 at 12:30 PM.
dsimbiriatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
So far mostly good on my Likebook Mars. I do however get an error message "Write permissions to system settings are required to control brightness level." Clicking OK freezes the launcher. Any help as to how to give that permission would be appreciated. Mars runs Android 6.

Hitting the Home button on the top bar while in the launchers settings does nothing. Hitting the back button there takes me to the home screen.

I would like to see an easier way to get to my hidden apps. Perhaps a tile on the home screen?

If it wasn't for the settings button in the launcher's toolbar I could see getting rid of it; that would allow another row of apps on the home screen. Can the settings button be moved?

Calibre Companion allows for the creation of book shortcuts onto a home screen, at least when using Nova Launcher. Is there any way to add this functionality?

Overall I'm very happy and Simple Ink Launcher has replaced Nova as my default launcher. Nice.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #3
dsimbiriatin
dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dsimbiriatin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Wow, thanks for the great feedback!

Writing permissions to Android system settings is something which became required in Android 6+, (on the devices with lower versions it will not be shown). After you click on OK button in this pop-up it supposed to navigate you to a default android system permissions screen (I assume, that's why it freezes because for some reason it's not available on your system). Anyway, I'll try to double check this scenario.

Regarding other items, it shouldn't be hard to implement. I'll prioritize them, starting with hiding the toolbar and making the home button work while on the settings screen (it's something which should be pretty straightforward).
Old 06-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
orangpelupa
Enthusiast
orangpelupa began at the beginning.

Device: none
can i make the icons grid smaller?
orangpelupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
dsimbiriatin

No, it's not possible yet but I do plan to add this in the next release.
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
dsimbiriatin

Happy to announce a new release! (version 1.2)

What's new:
- Long press on application grid's empty area opens launcher settings
Spoiler:

- Long press on a grid item opens an action menu allowing to hide or delete selected items (multi-select is supported)
Spoiler:

- New preference section to control application grid's look (number of columns, size of icons)

As usual, download sections
Spoiler:

- Now it's possible to hide toolbar completely (Preferences -> Toolbar Location -> Hidden)

Bugs fixed:
- Quitting preference screen on home button click
- System settings permission screen is not opening on Android 6 (should be still clarified)

As usual, the downloads section is available here:
https://bitbucket.org/dsimbiriatin/s...her/downloads/
Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
These are very nice additions to the launcher. It's nice toi have a launcher that's out of the way on what is really a simple device. I mostly just use Moon Reader, Calibre Companion and a chess program.

The permissions screen now comes up when needed. Adjusting the brightness however causes the launcher to crash. As I intend to hide the toolbar this really isn't an issue for me however.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Awesome job @dsimbiriatin, three questions:

1. Could be possible to have a mirror on github and accept future pull request there?
2. Could be possible to add support for old Android Ice Cream Sandwitch?
3. (related to 1) Are translations welcome?
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
dsimbiriatin

Hi, thanks!

I do not see any issue with having a GitHub mirror (as well as additional translations).
Regarding ICS support, looks like no code changes are needed to have it but I would like to spend some time on smoke tests.
If it goes smooth, I'll prepare a dedicated .apk.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
dsimbiriatin

@pazos, I've uploaded a new .apk which should be compatible with ICS (it has '-ICS' suffix in the file name), please let me know if it works for you. Here is direct link.

And here the GitHub mirror for the project:
https://github.com/dsimbiriatin/simple-ink-launcher
Feel free to contribute
Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #11
Ryogo
Enthusiast
Ryogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
dsimbiriatin,
have you considered changing license to something less restricting, like MIT license?
Ryogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
dsimbiriatin

Ryogo
Hmm, copyleft license usually is an issue when applied for libraries, which are meant to be used as part of other projects (then there is a problem to use it in proprietary software or in the projects with less strict license) but for a standalone app, what use cases do you see to use MIT/Apache etc. here?
Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
thanks dsimbiriatin! You made my life easier. I've installed your launcher on all my emulators, starting from API15.

It is really useful to hide all that junk installed on emulator to focus on the task!!.

The day I'll get an android eink device I will install your launcher without doubt.

BTW, I see you have an Inkbook Lumos and you use KOReader. You can go to https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ssue-406883935 and test if one of the already implemented eink routines work on your device (and report your results if it works). That way you can get rid of ghosting each x number of pages.

Last edited by pazos; 07-04-2019 at 06:11 PM.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:29 AM   #14
Ryogo
Enthusiast
Ryogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to beholdRyogo is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
dsimbiriatin,
well, not only using it as thirdparty lib, but reusing parts of code too. But I have nothing I mean nothing in particular.
Ryogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #15
Millimole
Millimole began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
Excellent! Works perfectly on an Inkbook Classic 2.
Millimole is offline   Reply With Quote