Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
berklee46
berklee46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 Picture Help?

I'm hoping someone can help me since Amazon customer service offered me nothing...

The pre-loaded screen savers in my Kindle 2 look fantastic, but any photos that I add end up looking terrible. They seemed to look much better on my Kindle 1.

The pictures have these splotchy shadow looking things all over it and not at all crisp like the pre-loaded screen savers. I've tried using large size .jpg files, small ones, color, black & white, 800x600, etc., but all seem to look the same. It also doesn't matter if I have the dithering option on or off on the Kindle. I've attached a screenshot of one of the pictures that really shows off what I'm talking about.

Can anybody offer me some help on how to fix this? I'm sure it's a picture file issue since the screensaver pictures look fine.

Thanks for any advice.
berklee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Do you mind attaching the original image file so we can play with it?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
berklee46

Sure, I left it as a relatively large file so you can edit it as you see fit, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindlePicture1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	26205  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to tell you that she's a very cute little girl!

I saved the 5 MB jpeg and made 600x800 jpeg and png files from it (no other adjustments). I then used all the images (orginal, jpeg and png) files to make a photo album with MobiPocekt Creator (I did not load the images as screen savers but the results are similar except for the border around the images).

I'm attaching the photo album along with screen shots of how all 3 versions of image looked on my K2. All of the images look good to me, No splotchiness.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	original.gif
Views:	338
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	26207   Click image for larger version

Name:	jpeg.gif
Views:	341
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	26208   Click image for larger version

Name:	png.gif
Views:	333
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	26209  
Attached Files
File Type: prc Baby Test.prc (225.2 KB, 271 views)
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that kid is way too cute for a Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
berklee46

Here are 4 photos of pictures as they appear on my Kindle. The first is a picture that someone on another board spent a lot of time editing and said appeared great on his Kindle. The last three I edited to 600x800 and made to greyscale in Photoshop on my own.

I still think something isn't quite right. The blotches never looked like this on my Kindle 1...

Does it seem like a hardware issue or just me expecting too much?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Well, I didn't do anything to the grayscale. I only reduced the size. I even install color images "as is" (except for size) on my Kindle. I don't convert them to grayscale.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did try this photo on my 505 and it looked fine. It looked similar to what Daffy posted. I too have not converted it to gray scale. But maybe if you did, it might look better?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Based on what is in this thread, screensavers are processed differently from standard images. This makes sense in a way, because the standard screensavers are stored in system storage some where and there is no reason to re-process them every time they come up.

I see that with the screen saver hack you get copies of the standard screen saver images. What format (size, color/grey scales) do the standard screen savers use?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Based on what is in this thread, screensavers are processed differently from standard images. This makes sense in a way, because the standard screensavers are stored in system storage some where and there is no reason to re-process them every time they come up.

I see that with the screen saver hack you get copies of the standard screen saver images. What format (size, color/grey scales) do the standard screen savers use?
It looks like that only works for people who are using the hack for the first time. I installed .0.04 over v0.03 and it did not add the original screensavers to my "screen_saver" directory.

If someone else doesn't come along with the info, I'll remove mine and start from scratch to see if this can be figured out.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklee46 View Post
I still think something isn't quite right. The blotches never looked like this on my Kindle 1...

Does it seem like a hardware issue or just me expecting too much?
I agree, this photo renders very blotchy and poorly dithered on my K2 as well, and enabling/disabling dithering appears to do absolutely nothing?!

Simply resizing didn't help it on mine either. I had to actually go into photoshop, resize it, and then manually dither it by using "Save for Web & Devices..." and manually loading the K2 15 (well, 16 with two whites) color table (attached). After this, then the photo rendered as expected.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	remap-resize.gif
Views:	283
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	26316  
Attached Files
File Type: zip PhotoShop-Kindle2-ColorTable.zip (188 Bytes, 245 views)
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Here is a zip file of the original images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip K2 original screensavers.zip (2.54 MB, 3937 views)
Old 03-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It looks like that only works for people who are using the hack for the first time. I installed .0.04 over v0.03 and it did not add the original screensavers to my "screen_saver" directory.
That's OK, that's how it's supposed to work. Since you have .04 loaded, if you want to get a copy of the originals, simply delete or rename your current screen_saver directory and reset the kindle. When the kindle comes back up, it will create the screen_saver directory with the originals in it.

Apologies to OP for off topic post.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
berklee46

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
I agree, this photo renders very blotchy and poorly dithered on my K2 as well, and enabling/disabling dithering appears to do absolutely nothing?!

Simply resizing didn't help it on mine either. I had to actually go into photoshop, resize it, and then manually dither it by using "Save for Web & Devices..." and manually loading the K2 15 (well, 16 with two whites) color table (attached). After this, then the photo rendered as expected.
(Edit - I just figured out how to use the Kindle color table and will play around with that and see how it goes...)

Thanks again for all the help. I apologize for all the questions. I'm just hoping to eventually use my own photos as screensavers, but can't see wasting my time doing it if they are going to look terrible!

Last edited by berklee46; 03-24-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
They aren't screensavers as eink has no burn-in. These should be called battery wasters. 8-}
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote