Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 AM   #91
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Yes, I read it. Since the text is the same, it illustrates that it is their prejudices that trigger their poorer reading, not the material itself.
Well, those prejudices didn't just come out of the blue. They don't even make sense on a cursory level. But the research indicates that they are there. The interesting question is why, and whether it is in fact the fault of the material itself. But those are questions for further research.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Absolutely agree.
As I mentioned in earlier posts, given the "science fiction" version of the text used (or more correctly, misused) several military terms, it makes it hard to decide what was the reason for the poorer comprehension. Prejudice against science fiction? Prejudice against the military? "I hate reading something where I have to remember or know what an airlock is?"
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #93
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As I mentioned in earlier posts, given the "science fiction" version of the text used (or more correctly, misused) several military terms, it makes it hard to decide what was the reason for the poorer comprehension. Prejudice against science fiction? Prejudice against the military? "I hate reading something where I have to remember or know what an airlock is?"
In my case I was stuck trying to figure out if the author of the text actually had a coherent setting in mind and why they decided to use military titles. If I hadn't read the plain Jane text I'd likely have shown poorer comprehension if tested simply due to split attention. Who cares about a stupid person insulting the people he has to live with when I could be pondering why a waitress has military rank
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 AM   #94
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
In my case I was stuck trying to figure out if the author of the text actually had a coherent setting in mind and why they decided to use military titles. If I hadn't read the plain Jane text I'd likely have shown poorer comprehension if tested simply due to split attention. Who cares about a stupid person insulting the people he has to live with when I could be pondering why a waitress has military rank
Especially when the military rank of ensign in most navies was the lowest level of commissioned officer. I tend to think of them as a larval lieutenant. Why would anyone have a commissioned officer working as a waitress? Assuming that she was in uniform as she was designated by rank, do I have to salute and wait for her to return the salute before asking for a coffee refill?

I found pondering such questions very distracting.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #95
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Especially when the military rank of ensign in most navies was the lowest level of commissioned officer. I tend to think of them as a larval lieutenant. Why would anyone have a commissioned officer working as a waitress? Assuming that she was in uniform as she was designated by rank, do I have to salute and wait for her to return the salute before asking for a coffee refill?

I found pondering such questions very distracting.
I think it may be from Star Trek where Ensign Eye Candy was Kirk's secretary.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert