Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #76
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Found another purpose for the Yota. We recently bought a sous vide device which you can control using a smartphone. You can see the water temperature and the remaining time on screen. That e-ink screen is very handy for that! No need to turn on the screen to see the data again
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #77
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
genial sweetpea!
Really hope Samsung, Apple, Amazon Google, or even Kobo, will start to look into the possibility to gave us even more models exploiting this fantastic technology, are years I am advocating that, really cannot understand why companies do not do! On one of the above brands forums, I have been patronized and criticized really hard on one single post of 4 pages by 6 of their brand evangelist that were publishing there, instead I really think major companies have been really myopic so far without trying lcd/eink, is life changer to not losing the battery in the middle of a google map trip or to read under the sun, to offer the bookwormers an all inclusive product, to make fashionable the phone cover, to have an always on screen, to not cause eyestraining, to find new app synergies as sweetpea did and a lot of developers could do.

I really think some managers and marketing departments are so stuck into statistics that do not see the reality, that is why there are not too many steve jobs out there, daring to change the rules, impose an idea and take a small risk, after all what would happen if one of the companies mentioned would do 1 and i repeat 1 out of houndreads of models with an lcd/eink. Maybe with few advertise as test, maybe just an eink cover really responsive...
then if goes well and i do not see any reason why should not, they could introduce backlight eink screen, better definition and so on.
why why why?

Last edited by trocchietto; 12-21-2016 at 06:06 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2016, 01:22 AM   #78
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
why why why?
I think I have half the answer to that question: no major manufacturer makes a dual screen device because Amazon has a U.S. patent on this technology. (The credit for this discovery goes to user Xtech, who did the research). I think that's why Yota did not come to the U.S. after all, and why only Chinese companies have announced such phones.
What baffles me is why Amazon did not use the patent. Instead of the flopped Fire phone and the outrageously priced Kindle Oasis, they could have made a dual-screen phone and a larger dual-screen tablet. Those would be unique devices for Amazon to push their content on, and without fear of competition. They could make a killing.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #79
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OH Jmirko thank you very much for your efforts and your enlightening answer. It is pity for me to hear that, because I received really hard replies on their forum, is the kindle forum the one I was mentioning above.( just I hope they did not buy after my post )

According to their evangelists, they think this technology is not good is an outdated technology. I see now instead why they do not want to do it. it would be killing as you say but in a negative sense for them, really negative for their bottom line.

I do not say more because I respect the company, but is really easy to understand if one knows their genial model of business

Last edited by trocchietto; 12-28-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #80
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
For those in the U.S., it appears that the phone works on either AT&T or T-Mobile towers:

T-Mobile: I tested it out on the T-Mobile MVNO MintSIM. Yes, 3G is not as speedy as 4G/LTE, but it's ok.

AT&T: An Amazon review reported that it works on AT&T towers using MVNO Cricket Wireless:
"Americans beware that you can only use 3G on our networks, but it hasn't seemed to be a problem. Benchmark: I am able to listen to youtube videos in traffic with only a few buffering hiccups."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #81
trocchietto
Addict

at the moment is a rumor eink/lcd motorola https://www.slashgear.com/moto-z-mod...play-02466210/
Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 AM   #82
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Eh that's just some random guy listing off things he'd like to see
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #83
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I am using the YP2 since long time now, and resolved all the problems.
The minus points are
- to set a good battery length you have to hack a lot the settinga
Quote:
... only important thing you should manage some optimization, that the get calls are too aggressive with android.
I'm experiencing a bit too much battery use. Can you suggest some of the settings you've changed?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #84
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I find the headphone volume is a bit too low, even at maximum volume. Is there some limiter I need to remove, or is there some way to boost the volume with an app?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #85
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I find the headphone volume is a bit too low, even at maximum volume. Is there some limiter I need to remove, or is there some way to boost the volume with an app?
mine volume is really high, strange, did you notice that there is a pop up that advice you if you want to pump up the volume, even if is dangerous? Could be that you did not notice this pop up?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #86
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I'm experiencing a bit too much battery use. Can you suggest some of the settings you've changed?
the first thing to do is to go in settings, apps and deactivate notifications you do not need.
The major sources that drains battery on Android phones are screen and internet background.

switching the light to lower settings is essential, and to read on the night in the bed or dark places, a pub etc, you MUST install a night mode light, that allow you to bring the luminosity really down, much more than the fabric settings( is even a pleasure reading from the screen).
Then consider when you are in sunny places to use the other side of the screen. the eink one.

For internet background you should deactivate the notifications, you can also find a widget that allow you to have the 3g phone function activated( receive and make calls, sms) but deactivates internet on touch, this is a life safer feature. The google services also are quite aggressive with the base settings, I would work out also there.
then in the settings you find on a page exactly what is consuming in terms of percentage. for instance you could find whatsapp consuming a lot, so you should also work on this aspect etc.

All in all, just find on the internet tips to optimize android battery life, you will find million of pages.
Last consideration, depends by the version of android you have, some are more optimized than others

my K advice is look the option in setting that indicates what consume more and work hard on the first 5 ones. Then deactivate notifications, or put them less frequent. If you have email in real time for instance is normal that you are going to consume the battery really fast..

I repeat combining your personal experience and trying the hundreds of tips you can easy find in internet you are going to optimize the phone. Last consideration consider to put some book you are busy in the default yota reader, it consumes almost nothing, is made on purpose.

If you are lazy and do not want to think too much on how optimize you can always use the areoplane mode really easy activating with the side hardware button and putting internet out, but working on notifications and tips is much better.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #87
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
mine volume is really high, strange, did you notice that there is a pop up that advice you if you want to pump up the volume, even if is dangerous? Could be that you did not notice this pop up?
and of course you cannot compare this i guess 2013 model with the new standards, there are some phones that are really powerful like a common iphone 6 or 7 etc made in the last two years
. I use the best isolating phones in the market the bose, and if i put music and press the cancelling button, i really do not hear nothing from outside

ps is coming a bigger screen phone
http://www.dailytech.com/Debuted+at+...ticle39995.htm

also I can see some possibilities the great Amazon could think as profitable a proper phablet/ tablet eink
because...
http://www.justpublishingadvice.com/...a-rapid-death/

Last edited by trocchietto; 01-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #88
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even after seeing and dismissing the pop-up, my volume is low even when set to the highest volume. In more than one set of headphones, and in the input to my car system. (My car system has volume 1-30. From radio I have it around 16 when driving. With input from the Yotaphone, I have it at 30, and would still like it a bit higher. And yes, this is with the Yotaphone volume at maximum too.)

It sounds like it might be my device, rather than a generic feature.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #89
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Even after seeing and dismissing the pop-up, my volume is low even when set to the highest volume. In more than one set of headphones, and in the input to my car system. (My car system has volume 1-30. From radio I have it around 16 when driving. With input from the Yotaphone, I have it at 30, and would still like it a bit higher. And yes, this is with the Yotaphone volume at maximum too.)

It sounds like it might be my device, rather than a generic feature.
that's strange to me. I mean if you use an external amplifier the signal depends by an EXTERNAL amplifier, so is with my headphones, I could not manage to hear things at a maximum volume, and I hear classical music on the street!

If you speak about the internal amplifier, let's say opening up the volume I can really easy hear a video in a calm environment, even from a decent distance. I am sure is not the most powerful device I ever heard especially compared to the new models, but I do not see your point. I am wondering if you have a defected unity, or if you are used to modern standards much more impressive, even with the sound quality.

Does somebody else the feeling that the audio is low? Did you try to hear the phone from an headphone with noise cancelling at maximum volume? are you sure you did not drop in the water the phone?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #90
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I am wondering if you have a defected unit
I'm not talking about the internal speakers. Only with sound through headphones or from the headphone jack to an external speaker system.

And yes, since no-one else seems to have this problem, it looks like it might be my unit.

I do have another unit - with a broken screen. I shall test the volume output on this one and see if it's different.