Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 10-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
I'm Italian as well and I'm evaluating to buy it.

@Igaru
I assume you didn't buy in the bookstores you mentioned (IBS.it, Libraccio.it and INDIeBOOK.it). Did you buy on amazon.it? And I assume also that if you buy it in one those Italian bookstore, it will be configured for that store.
If what I'm saying is confirmed, thank you for let me know... If I decide to buy it, I'll do it on ibs.it for sure.
I want to use the Cloud and I believe that side-loading you can't do that.
Ciao!

Last edited by CyberPaul; 10-08-2016 at 05:51 PM.
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #17
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

@igaru
Please, may you help me?
Advert
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
strico
Enthusiast
strico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-600
Joining this conversation a bit late, but was impressed from some videos I saw on Youtube about the new Tolino.

It seems like there are very few owners out there, but my question is for owners of Kobo Aura H2O. Does it worth an upgrade? Is the resolution of the Tolino better than the H2O?

Another question is about a dictionary - Is there an english-english dictionary, or an ability to side load custom dictionaries?
strico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 AM   #19
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by strico View Post
Joining this conversation a bit late, but was impressed from some videos I saw on Youtube about the new Tolino.

It seems like there are very few owners out there, but my question is for owners of Kobo Aura H2O. Does it worth an upgrade? Is the resolution of the Tolino better than the H2O?

Another question is about a dictionary - Is there an english-english dictionary, or an ability to side load custom dictionaries?
I have both the Tolino and the H2O. I use the Tolino all the time, but that is because I prefer its smaller size and lighter weight. My Tolino screen is excellent, and the best I have used, but I was very happy with the H2O screen.

The Tolino has a decent English to English dictionary, (it uses Wiktionary).

The Kobo reading software has more fine tuning functions and extras (particularly if you use Kepubs) but, now that the Tolino allows user added fonts and a way of maintaining Collections via Calibre, the Tolino serves me very well. That said, one failing another poster found a deal breaker is that it has no way of expanding any images within a book - so a book full of diagrams, plans etc would be very hard to read easily on the Tolino.

I tried the Tolino because my Macbook and Kobos were not happy partners - resulting in frequent database corruptions on my Kobos. As soon as I started using the Tolino I loved the screen, and the ergonomics of it, and it is a very good alternative to a Kobo, but that is all it is - it is not a Kobo killer.

Be aware that, as an English user, one is cut out entirely of the Tolino book store, cloud support environment - it is impossible to even register the Tolino with my UK address. This is not an issue for me, since I side load everything with Calibre, but would not suit those who like to buy and download directly to their reader.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #20
CyberPaul
Groupie

Not a Kobo killer why? What are the important functions Tolino missed?
Since you are side-loading, did you give up the Tolino Cloud? I think that you can still register on a German site (or Austrian or Swiss), even if you upload ebooks bought somewhere else. Cloud still works. It is important to me to be able to use their App on iPhone or iPad and be always synchronized when I'm without the eReader. Side-loading ebooks you can't do it.
Advert
Old 10-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #21
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
Not a Kobo killer why? What are the important functions Tolino missed?
Since you are side-loading, did you give up the Tolino Cloud? I think that you can still register on a German site (or Austrian or Swiss), even if you upload ebooks bought somewhere else. Cloud still works. It is important to me to be able to use their App on iPhone or iPad and be always synchronized when I'm without the eReader. Side-loading ebooks you can't do it.
I could not register because it would not accept my UK address. There may be a way around that, but I wasn't bothered enough to try.

In my opinion, Kobo's reading functionality is superior in how it allows the user to fine tune fonts, and in margin and spacing adjustments. The Tolino is more basic but ok. Kepubs also handle footnotes in a much better way, and calculate page numbers based on your reader settings rather than a fixed number.

My Tolino is smaller, lighter and more reliable - those factors are more important to me.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #22
CyberPaul
Groupie

I have just tried on Thalia.de, and it looks like it allows to register a UK address...
You can select as "Land" Großbritannien = Great Britain.
I registered my Italian address.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #23
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
I have just tried on Thalia.de, and it looks like it allows to register a UK address...
You can select as "Land" Großbritannien = Great Britain.
I registered my Italian address.
That is not an option on my Tolino, but of course I should have tried the Website via a browser
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #24
CyberPaul
Groupie

Exactly! It should allow you to use Tolino Cloud
Old 10-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #25
strico
Enthusiast
strico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-600
Church mouse, thanks for the advice

I guess I should also thank you for preventing me from impulsively buying the Tolino, and spending 150 euros in vain.

I believe I'll stay with my H2O, which I'm very happy with, and spend my money only if I find a worthwhile update for it.
strico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #26
CyberPaul
Groupie

Well, frequent database corruptions and impossibility to load on the cloud personal documents or books bought elsewhere are not acceptable for me. That's why I discarded kobo so far and I'm interested in tolino instead.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:16 AM   #27
church mouse
Evangelist

A stable Kobo is a lovely reader, but an unstable one is a right pain in the proverbial!

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #28
redbaron990
redbaron990 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo HD
I'm very interested in buying tolino vision 3hd.
But i have some doubt.
I'm italian, does it work with bilingual dictionary English-italian?
The alternative for me is the kobo glo HD.
Do you think tolino screen and dictionary are better than Kobo glo HD one or the difference is minimal?

Thanks for all
redbaron990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #29
church mouse
Evangelist

I have never tried English - Italian translation. However, I can tell you that the English dictionary on the Tolino is ok (it is based on Wicktionary) and I found to be no worse than the Kobo English dictionary. The screen is excellent and on a par with the Glo HD.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #30
redbaron990
redbaron990 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
I have never tried English - Italian translation. However, I can tell you that the English dictionary on the Tolino is ok (it is based on Wicktionary) and I found to be no worse than the Kobo English dictionary. The screen is excellent and on a par with the Glo HD.
Thank you very much for the reply
redbaron990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tolino, tolino vision