Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Curiously enough, it seemed to behave itself better last night.
That was probably a bit premature. Today it's refusing to do anything.

Actually, that's not quite true. It's instead exhibiting a behaviour that I haven't seen before. If I slide the power switch the green light goes on for five seconds, and then flashes twice in rapid succession. And then it's back to paperweight.

Does anyone know what that means?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
That was probably a bit premature. Today it's refusing to do anything.

Actually, that's not quite true. It's instead exhibiting a behaviour that I haven't seen before. If I slide the power switch the green light goes on for five seconds, and then flashes twice in rapid succession. And then it's back to paperweight.

Does anyone know what that means?
I've never heard of that. Sadly, it sounds like it's not going to make it. You've done everything that I imagined would be helpful.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Have you tried the firmware update? You can download it to a computer and put it on the Kindle via USB.

There is also a sticky thread in the Kindle Developer's Corner (at the top of the page) you might want to look at. It's called "Simple debricking methods..."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #19
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Have you tried the firmware update? You can download it to a computer and put it on the Kindle via USB.

There is also a sticky thread in the Kindle Developer's Corner (at the top of the page) you might want to look at. It's called "Simple debricking methods..."
More details: In the case that your firmware is corrupted for some reason, reflashing it (simple debricking method) might help. The available good fimware image is version 3.0.2, which you can then update to the latest 3.4 (in stages as described at amazon).

EDIT: You cannot trust the power LED to show the charge status on a bricked Kindle. It can take up to 20 hours with a power adapter to recharge a discharged battery when the Kindle is bricked, because the firmware controls the charging and it defaults to a "slow charge curve".

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 10:32 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #20
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
More details: In the case that your firmware is corrupted for some reason, reflashing it (simple debricking method) might help.
Thanks!

I'll try this or this tomorrow.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet

I'm getting:
- conection error. Please reset the board and make sure the board in the boot strap mode
and
- failed to initial flash or do not support this flash, please reset the target
errors on ATK.
I'm open to any suggestions...
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
... I'm open to any suggestions...
You might have "USB driver" issues.

You may get more suggestions by posting to the "simple debricking" sticky thread in the Dev Corner.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
ok, thanks, I'll do that.
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #24
Popup
Zealot

I had very little success with the Freescale tools, nor with the k3flasher utility. Either the PC wouldn't recognize the Kindle, or I'd get mixed (and varied) error messages.

I put the whole thing on hold for a while, but yesterday I decided to have another look. I took it apart (again), but this time with a voltmeter and oscilloscope at the ready, to see what's happening. The first thing I checked was the battery, and to my great surprise there was no voltage whatsoever between the + and - terminals. Surely that can't be normal? (I've started a thread in the Dev Corner, which seems more suitable for that level of detail.)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
KTamas
Enthusiast
KTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with othersKTamas plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
My first Kindle Keyboard died this way. Froze up, out of the blue, middle of the reading. Rebooted, started reading, froze up after a few pages. Reboot, Almost insta-freeze. Lather, rinse, repeat. After a rather lengthy and multiple rounds of talking to the support, they exchanged it (it was still under warranty).

(yeah, first. the second and the third died by the usual broken screen.)

Last edited by KTamas; 10-03-2012 at 07:28 AM.
KTamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hangs, kindle keyboard