Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #16
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Now how to restore it via serial line. I searched in this forum and found that it requires custom made serial to USB line ports which i cant make
Any easy/alternative to get serial console
There is no easy way to restore Kindle. It have recovery menu, but I don't have any information how to use it in right way. Also, you must have password to use Recovery menu (password can be obtained from serial number).
The second way - use serial line to boot custom Linux kernel and restore Kindle partition from it.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
ahonamous
ahonamous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
I have created small update for Kindle 3. It make File Sytems backup (excluding userstore) and places it into Kindle root directory (Userstore).
http://www.audi-bel.com/kindle/update_backup_0.01.zip
Backuping can take ~10min. Backup size will be near 700Mb so you must have free space on userstore.
Does this require usbNetwork beforehand? It looks like it will be q background job and nothing is required except jailbreak, correct?
ahonamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
There is no easy way to restore Kindle. It have recovery menu, but I don't have any information how to use it in right way. Also, you must have password to use Recovery menu (password can be obtained from serial number).
The second way - use serial line to boot custom Linux kernel and restore Kindle partition from it.
My kindle 3 broken now. Kindle os do not work. however doukan work properly. can I fix my kindle 3 in this way? how ? I did't understand what the serial line is... could you explain more. (I used ssh on kindle os, but on Doukan I dont know how to do...)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
mpercy725
mpercy725 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Image Kindle

I want to take an image of the Kindle over telnet or ssh. I have successfully jailbroken the Kindle, and can get into the root command line via both telnet and ssh. Now I want to take a FULL image of the device, including the file system, and have it on my local system.

Catch - my local system is running Windows 7, so piping dd, gzip, or tar through ssh hasn't worked. If necessary, I have Ubuntu in a VM, but I have not been able to connect the VM to the Kindle via telnet or ssh yet. I would much prefer to use Windows, as I need to then analyze the image using Windows software.

Thoughts?
mpercy725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpercy725 View Post
Now I want to take a FULL image of the device, including the file system, and have it on my local system.

Thoughts?
welcome!
Try WinSCP, you can search for the details on this forum...

Last edited by thomass; 05-09-2011 at 08:37 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #21
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
I want to take an image of the Kindle over telnet or ssh. I have successfully jailbroken the Kindle, and can get into the root command line via both telnet and ssh. Now I want to take a FULL image of the device, including the file system, and have it on my local system.

Catch - my local system is running Windows 7, so piping dd, gzip, or tar through ssh hasn't worked. If necessary, I have Ubuntu in a VM, but I have not been able to connect the VM to the Kindle via telnet or ssh yet. I would much prefer to use Windows, as I need to then analyze the image using Windows software.

Thoughts?
Easy. Use the dd command on the Kindle. Then copy it over to your computer from the userstore. That's how I did it on my computer.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #22
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Use my backup hack:
http://www.siralex.info/wp-content/p...nload.php?id=4
Info page: http://www.siralex.info/2011/03/17/kindle-3-backup/
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
mpercy725
mpercy725 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
welcome!
Try WinSCP, you can search for the details on this forum...
I am now using WinSCP and have successfully gotten into the root of my Kindle! Thanks! Any ideas about the most effective way to image it from the root directory up? DD keeps complaining about trying to image a directory, and from what I can tell in WinSCP I can't use a command that requires data transfer (I can't save an image on the device as it would overwrite data and likely wouldn't even fit).

Anyone know if there's a way to pipe a backup/archiving command through ssh or telnet onto a Windows 7 machine? (Yes, I know that telnet is not secure, but this is for testing purposes only. There is no sensitive information on my Kindle.)
mpercy725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #24
catau
catau began at the beginning.

Device: k3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyau View Post
^^It helped though i dont want wifi ssh access

Ok guys thanks a lot After extensive searching in the forum, finally gained SSH access

For newbies here are the steps

1. Download jailbreak and usbnetwork from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

2. Unzip both files and select appropriate file of install according to your kindle
(As always, k2 means K2 US, k2i means K2 GW, dx means KDX US, dxi means KDX GW, dxg means KDX Graphite, k3g means K3 3G (US [B006]), k3w means K3 WiFi [B008] and k3gb means K3 3G (UK [B00A]).

3.Copy the file in the kindle; First just copy jailbreak

4. Eject kindle. Click Menu >>settings. In settings select Update Your Kindle

5. Jailbreak will get installed

6. Repeat the steps to install usbnetwork

SSH access on Windows 7

Mount kindle and see and edit file \usbnet\etc\config file
The file must be saved in Unix format itself. Using notepad ++ is convenient here
I edited the host and kindle IP to my requirement in that file

Now eject the kindle
go to menu>>Search in kindle and type ";debugOn" and press "search my items", then type "~usbNetwork" and press "search my items"

Now connect the kindle to computer
The device will fail to install. Since RNDIS/Ethernet controller is not supported
To overcome this install Microsoft-Windows-Mobile-Device-Cente

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-W...-10714488.html

In case of vista and windows 7 even after installation it wont work
There is a solution for this

Source: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=240

On my machine, the new ethernet connection was created as "Local Area Connection 3" and shows up as "DIRECTV HDPC20". YMMV

Go into Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center.
Click on "Change Adapter Settings"

Do a right click on your main network adapter, click on the "Sharing" tab
Check the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection"

Click "OK"
You will get prompted that the adapter interface will be changed to "192.168.0.1". That's okay, confirm.

Now go and edit the other network adapter "DIRECTV HDPC20" (or whatever it's called on your machine)
Click on the "Internet Protocol Version 4" and "Properties"
change the IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 , subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Validate with OK.

Open a command line (windows + R, cmd)
(Note Telnet isn't activated by default in Vista / Windows 7, go into the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features", click "Turn Windows Features on or Off" and check "Telnet Client").

telnet 192.168.2.2

One can also use putty
The default root password is blank and just press enter

Hi guys,

I have followed this to the letter everything - here in this post - was ok except the last stage , after "telnet 192.168.2.2" the answer i get is :
"Connecting to 192.168.2.2 ....Could not open connection to the host on port 23: connect failed

what port ?

Can somebody please explain what is the problem and the solution ?

Thank you in advance...
catau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #25
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Hi How can I obtain password? please give a link where I can find the way or describe how to do it. Thanks in advance.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote