Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
mobamoba
Enthusiast
mobamoba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Apps to make life easier on Android Glo/Aura

I've been using Marek's v2 Android image on my Kobo Glo and, after playing around a bit, have found a few apps that have made operating Android on this device a little easier and thought I'd share.

Instead of Button Savior, I use Floating Toucher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ng.touch&hl=en). It puts a little dot to the right of the screen and allows you to use "menu", "show notifications", and adjust brightness and wifi from directly in the panel in addition to launching apps. You can long-press the dot to bring up Recent Apps. For me, it's easier to use than Button Savior plus, because I can control brightness (in a basic way - it does 100%, 50% and some low percentage like 7%), I was able to uninstall Display Brightness, which I found somewhat difficult to use. Since Moon Reader, my preferred reader, has a brightness control as well which can completely shut off the light, this combo works great for me.

Because I use Moon Reader and like its position syncing to Dropbox, I wanted Wifi to come on every time the device came out of sleep. To that end, I found AutomateIt (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nPackage&hl=en) which, in addition to a whole bunch of other controls, allows for a trigger than turns Wifi on when the screen comes on. It still shuts off when it goes to sleep without needing an additional trigger, so this works for me.

Finally, I installed Xposed (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2315). I'm not going to go into what it is or warnings as there's plenty about it on the web. The two Xposed modules I use are: (1) Disable Critical Battery Shutdown because I've found that Android miscalculates battery life and shuts down too soon for me and (2) UnbelovedHosts which kills all advertising in all apps, like 100% gone.

One request: If someone out there has figured out how to make a magnetic sleepcover work with Android on the Glo, please post here because that's the one feature that's missing for me.
mobamoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
rjbouw
rjbouw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Xiaomi redmi 5 plus
Hi, great tips i really want to try out.
But i can't seem to boot v2 from the external sd (i could with the older sd image). Do you boot from the external sdcard, or did you reflash the internal with v2?
rjbouw is offline   Reply With Quote