Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Calibre forgot that I moved my library

I recently moved my Library to my DropBox folder using "Move library to a new location". It worked fine until I restarted the program.

Now, Calibre loads blank, with an empty library database in the old location. I have to go to "Switch/create Library...", choose the location I moved it to, and check "Use the previously existing library at the new location".

This loads my books, but next time I start Calibre, it forgot this location, and I have to select the folder again.

How to fix?
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the link, but it's not clear how that relates to my problem, nor does it describe what steps I need to take to solve it.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Dropbox is a Cloud or NAS type folder.

Solution: DON'T put it there. Full (2-way) sync is not Calibre safe. They can fight.

Use a file sync app to MIRROR or backup your library ONLY when Calibre is not running.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
garbanzo
bean

I moved my library to another folder, closed Calibre, opened again, and my library is not selected. Calibre still thinks my library is in its original location where it was when I first set it up. I don't think the problem is Dropbox...

Is it because I'm using Calibre Portable, and it won't work properly if I try to move my library outside the main program folder? I'm only using this because I don't want to have to back up my %appdata% folder when I reinstall Windows.
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre portable will not remember libraries outside the calibre portable folder as is noted here: https://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Dump Calibre portable and go for a full install. 64-bit version if you can. Calibre Portable is only 32-bit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
garbanzo
bean

I made a symlink to my library folder, and now Calibre Portable remembers finds my library on startup
Old 09-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
I made a symlink to my library folder, and now Calibre Portable remembers finds my library on startup
But you should still have a 64-bit Calibre. I've read a lot of posts on MR about memory errors with Calibre and the solution was to go 64-bit. So prevent any problem and go 64-bit now and forgo the portable. There's no reason to use it on your main personal computer unless you are using it alongside a proper Calibre install.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
garbanzo
bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no reason to use it on your main personal computer unless you are using it alongside a proper Calibre install.
I appreciate your opinion. Mine is different.

Nearly all of the software I use is portable. I have it installed on a non-system drive, and a lot of it is integrated into my file manager - Calibre included. I've been using this setup for many years. It keeps my system drive free of clutter, and it comes in handy when it's time to re-install Windows because the only thing I have to remember to back up is the config for my file manager, and it has a built-in tool for that.

In fact, Calibre is one of the reasons I started doing this. There was a time long ago when I used "proper" Calibre install, but I forgot to back it up during a re-install of Windows, and lost a custom icon theme that I had put a lot of work into creating. I was sad, but I learned a valuable lesson.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
I appreciate your opinion. Mine is different.

Nearly all of the software I use is portable. I have it installed on a non-system drive, and a lot of it is integrated into my file manager - Calibre included. I've been using this setup for many years. It keeps my system drive free of clutter, and it comes in handy when it's time to re-install Windows because the only thing I have to remember to back up is the config for my file manager, and it has a built-in tool for that.

In fact, Calibre is one of the reasons I started doing this. There was a time long ago when I used "proper" Calibre install, but I forgot to back it up during a re-install of Windows, and lost a custom icon theme that I had put a lot of work into creating. I was sad, but I learned a valuable lesson.
Why would you re-install Windows multiple times? Just curious, because I've never reinstalled Windows nor felt the need to do so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why would you re-install Windows multiple times? Just curious, because I've never reinstalled Windows nor felt the need to do so.
I've never reinstalled Windows either. Once it's installed, it's installed. And it works.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@garbanzo - FWIW

Windows can be reinstalled without losing installed 3rd party software etc, a search for 'upgrade in place' will find plenty of links.

Calibre keeps its global settings in the location that opens when you press the Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory button. On Windows the default is "C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\calibre". If you want to put it elsewhere use the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY Environment Variable.

Your custom icon theme should be in the calibre configuration directory.

Per library settings are in the library database.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #14
garbanzo
bean

I do a fresh install of Windows every 9-12 months. Things just get gummed up after a while. Software I needed once then forgot about, leftover folders that uninstallers missed, caches and Windows update installation files and other things filling up my system drive. Context menus become unruly, startup programs need to be monitored... It's just a lot easier to wipe the slate clean every once in a while than try to manage it all. And doing an upgrade in place doesn't accomplish any of this.

I do this with all my devices - my laptop, my phone, my iPad... It's nice setting things up from scratch now and then.

The Environmental Variable trick is good to know, but it's just as easy to use a symlink to redirect Calibre to the folder of my choice if I decide to use the regular installer. But even that's an extra step I can do without.

Now, I could call out the config folder from the command line when starting Calibre, then we would be on to something. I always launch Calibre from my file manager, and I could build that right in.

But in the meantime, the portable version continues to work fine for helping me to manage my small collection of ebooks
Old 09-17-2020, 03:43 AM   #15
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Hmm... for me it would be a huge amount of bother to set things up from scratch. Takes several days with all the customizations and the programs I regularly use. Much easier to monitor startup/context menu etc myself and run Disk Cleanup regularly. Obviously YMMV
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote