Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #31
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
It's a pentagram with 5 edges, David star has 6.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #32
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
It's a pentagram with 5 edges, David star has 6.
I see... Pentagram is actually even worse...
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #33
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
does it look like the screen is flushed with the bezel?
The video stated that it is flush.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #34
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
Btw Of all possible special symbols the decided to use "David Star" symbol as special symbol - I sense trouble from Jewish communities...
I sense you might have trouble with Russian community now.

Last edited by fgdas; 04-14-2017 at 08:19 PM.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #35
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
I just wish they had thought of something to make this device usable for text processing. With bluetooth it would be great if one could pair it with a keyboard. I'm doing a lot of writing (programming especially) and being able to do this on a paper like screen would be a dream coming true for me.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #36
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't want to spam this thread, but I just saw video from Hongkong show from Onyx and it leaves new Sony e-reader way behind.

For a similar price you get so much more, mainly Android and possibility of a screen mirroring. The latency seems really nice as well.

Supporting only pdfs in 2017 is like a slap in the face for e-ink enthusiasts around the world.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't want to spam this thread, but I just saw video from Hongkong show from Onyx and it leaves new Sony e-reader way behind.

For a similar price you get so much more, mainly Android and possibility of a screen mirroring. The latency seems really nice as well.

Supporting only pdfs in 2017 is like a slap in the face for e-ink enthusiasts around the world.
It's aimed at a different market. This is a device specifically for business users, for reading and annotating documents. The Onyx device is a general-purpose computer, but is significantly heavier. There's room in the market for both.

PDF is still the dominant format is many fields. Don't think it's obsolete .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #38
Agent69
Agent69 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I know that no one has one in hand yet, but assuming this model handles PDFs like the previous version, I have two questions:

1. Does it work with password protected PDFs?
2. Does it work with embedded fonts?

Thanks!
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #39
SnowRipple
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's aimed at a different market. This is a device specifically for business users, for reading and annotating documents. The Onyx device is a general-purpose computer, but is significantly heavier. There's room in the market for both.

PDF is still the dominant format is many fields. Don't think it's obsolete .
True, Onyx is heavier but both devices are so big that one have to use both hands to use them or leave it on a flat surface. Even with Sony's 350g it is very uncomfortable to hold it in one hand and scrible using second. If you have to use two hands then 150g does not make any difference.

I didn't say that pdf format is obsolete, I said that devices that only handle pdfs are obsolete.

Many people will buy it because it has Sony label on it but when you compare it with Onyx Max - you get much less with Sony for a similar price tag.

I am happy that Sony is back in the game but this product seems simply outdated by today's market standards.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:16 AM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We don't know enough about the new Sony device yet. Maybe you can root it install a custom Android ROM and run regular apps including connecting a Bluetooth keyboard.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #41
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Does anyone know whether it will be shown in any electronics fair, like Hong Kong's?

Last edited by viceant; 04-17-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: to correct orthography
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I didn't say that pdf format is obsolete, I said that devices that only handle pdfs are obsolete.
I'd buy one. I bought my 12.9" iPad Pro for the specific purpose of reading PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #43
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
Evreybody who used the Onyx devices in the past is HAPPY to finally use the Sony.
The 13.3 inch Onyx is a nice toy, finally.
The 9.7 inch units where crappy, heavy things with writing technology from the stone age!

The Sony is an easy and reliable tool and of course I trust Sony much much more than those Chinese copycats
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #44
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.W.G View Post

The Sony is an easy and reliable tool and of course I trust Sony much much more than those Chinese copycats
Interesting. It used to be the Japanese makers that were accused of being copycats.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #45
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Have they dropped the microSD support in the new model?
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote