Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Another bug that I wonder if others have seen

For many f/w revisions I have seen the odd occurrence of a word going "awol" after hyphenation, depending on the font and size settings on the Kobo.

I have a nice little test document that contains a few paragraphs from "The Silesian Station" that demonstrates this problem.

Using (for instance) Georgia, at a size of 14 clicks over from the left, line spacing and margins at 0, justification at the middle (ragged right) setting, the first line of the chapter reads
Quote:
'Tell me'. Russell said, somewhat unneces-
. With one extra click on the size it becomes
Quote:
'Tell me'. Russell said, somewhat unnec-
essarily.
and one size down one gets
Quote:
'Tell me'. Russell said, somewhat unnecessarily.

If anyone wants to see this, I have attached the excerpt from the ePub to this posting.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Silesian Station Split - David Downing.epub (487.5 KB, 161 views)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For many f/w revisions I have seen the odd occurrence of a word going "awol" after hyphenation, depending on the font and size settings on the Kobo.

I have a nice little test document that contains a few paragraphs from "The Silesian Station" that demonstrates this problem.

Using (for instance) Georgia, at a size of 14 clicks over from the left, line spacing and margins at 0, justification at the middle (ragged right) setting, the first line of the chapter reads . With one extra click on the size it becomes and one size down one gets .

If anyone wants to see this, I have attached the excerpt from the ePub to this posting.
I have seen this twice. Seemed like more than one word missing but can't recall.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good It's always great to know I'm not alone in this.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have not seeen this on either of my devices using kepubs. Is this all on epub (vs kepub) files? I have basically given up on that format on the kobo devices. I no longer expect them to fix anything on the old epubs2 programming they have in place. They may yet prove me wrong, of course.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have not seeen this on either of my devices using kepubs. Is this all on epub (vs kepub) files? I have basically given up on that format on the kobo devices. I no longer expect them to fix anything on the old epubs2 programming they have in place. They may yet prove me wrong, of course.
I only do epubs so couldn't say.

Helen
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Its hard to say and seems to be one of these edge cases. I will try the rename and copy trick later and see.

I feel though that yet again this is an area where they have fallen down in their support especially seeing that the Adobe epub 2 support is the only way of reading library books on the Kobos, and in fact this sample was from the library.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

FYI first reported September 9th 2012!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Ok. I've forced the book to use the ACCESS engine. Now the problem seems not to occur.. however hyphenation of the unnecessarily does not occur either.

And no... I did not use the Extended driver, just did a manual transfer of the book to the Glo.

**AHH** If I force paragraphs to being right justified, then I do get hyphenation, but also do get the remainder of the word to appear on the next line.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sowhere does this leave you, Peter, what is your final workaround?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Frankly to keep reminding Kobo of this. I'm sorry but the ability to READ books is the key thing here, and this can impact anyone, whether it be a POWER user or a Joe-Blow regular user who borrows material from a library!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Frankly to keep reminding Kobo of this. I'm sorry but the ability to READ books is the key thing here, and this can impact anyone, whether it be a POWER user or a Joe-Blow regular user who borrows material from a library!
Actually I am agreed with you 100 percent on this, And I know we don't always agree on things . lol

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Hopefully. After all they do sell epubs to the public at large and so should support them IMO.

And if they are supporting them for other devices, it seems that Kobo device owners should get at least the same level of support if not better

Different perhaps if they were giving them away.
Helen
Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a solution. Turn off hyphenation in the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

But JSWOLF that is not the point. Sure I can also fix it by changing font size, or font, or concertimgn to kePub,

The issue is that these are solutions that the common user would not know.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But JSWOLF that is not the point. Sure I can also fix it by changing font size, or font, or concertimgn to kePub,

The issue is that these are solutions that the common user would not know.
Is this occurring in the new 2.6.1 firmware?

I do agree that the average user would not know how to turn off hyphenation. But, I wasn't suggesting it for everyone. I was suggesting it for those reading this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote