Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #136
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Unlike the Kindle the font sizes are not fixed. The smallest font size is determined by the book author and then scaled up from there. The older 505 and prior had 3 levels of fonts sizes (2 up from the default). The 700 have 5 levels which means the largest should be quite a bit bigger but still not an absolute number.

You can program the strokes to be what you want but I am not sure about just touch. The default for just touch is to zoom (increase the font size). I am not sure what other strokes can be recognized or how programmable they are.

Dale
That is one thing I didn't like about my PRS-500, one books large font would be the same size as anothers medium. When I would import Baen books in RTF, I would edit it first to increase the font size. But you can't do that with books from the Sony store.

I think I'll just have to wait to see it in the Sony retail store.

I think another good feature would be if Sony would allow people to browse their bookstore in a normal web browser, purchase a book and download it to be copied onto the reader with the USB cable. When on vacation you could use any available computer to purchase a new book.

For me, I think the most important new features might be considered very minor tweaks.

Carl
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #137
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
So I sent this thread to my wife and she replied that now they have one with all the features she wanted so we will be buying the 700 for her and giving her 505 to her 16 y/o sister who has been wanting to get a Reader but can't seem to save up the money. It would be as one heck of a Hanukkah present this year.

I guess we will see what happens. Hell, it may suck. First gen tends to be buggy in most hardware. And yes, I know this is not the first gen Reader but it is the first gen with touch screen and built-in lighting.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #138
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I do hope the pinch hitter is ok.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #139
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
So in all probability no dictionary support despite highlighting abilities? Especially since the press release is silent on it
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #140
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
So in all probability no dictionary support despite highlighting abilities? Especially since the press release is silent on it
Even if it's not available in this round, the hardware is all there. I'm sure a firmware upgrade will add the option. Keep posting messages like "I'd have bought it if only it had dictionary support". "Great device, shame about the lack of any dictionary support" and we'll get there .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #141
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Even if it's not available in this round, the hardware is all there. I'm sure a firmware upgrade will add the option. Keep posting messages like "I'd have bought it if only it had dictionary support". "Great device, shame about the lack of any dictionary support" and we'll get there .

Sony you are loosing a customer.....
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #142
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I don't see any reason for me to upgrade from my PRS500...unless the new bookstore offers a significantly wider range of books than I can get from other sources such as fictionwise and only offers them in a format the PRS500 cant use.

Other than that I'll be sticking with my PRS500 as it does exactly what I want it to do.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
Did someone say, "Plastic Logic?" My understanding is that their eInk technology is entirely plastic, omitting the thin, fragile glass membranes inside the current Sony screens THAT KEEP !@#$% BREAKING unexpectedly in 10-15 percent of the machines.
Where do you get your figure of "10-15% of machines" from? I'd be astonished if that figure were accurate - Tribble, the German seller for the CyBook Gen3, which some people regard as more fragile than the Sony Reader, tells us that he's seeing failure of rates of under 1% for the machines he's selling. If Sony really have a failure rate more than 10x that of Bookeen, there's something very badly wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #144
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'll stick with the 505.
Touch-screen not really useful, I hate fingerprints on my screen. And using the stylus is cumbersome. If you really want annotation capability and more software choices (not just books), the Iliad is the way to go.
Thumb swipe -
You will have a smeared and scratched screen quite soon. No way.

The light is no big deal, it just kills your battery sooner. Easier and cheaper to light it with a normal book-light.

Nice looking device, but I would not even consider it if it was cheaper than the 505.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #145
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
Why do they not understand? Mac support = more potential customers = bigger market share = more money.
= more support issues = higher support costs = less money. It's not as one-sided as you suggest!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #146
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporware View Post
I don't quite understand how 6 side LEDs wouldn't illuminate in total darkness well enough to read, but I reserve judgement for when I see it.
I wonder if it was just a quick "knock the lights off & look" trial, without waiting long enough for the eyes to adjust? That typically requires at least 20 to 30 minutes - although significantly longer if the viewer was previously in bright sunlight.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #147
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Don't know how similar the 700 screen is to the iPhone's, but with the iPhone it doesn't get dirty, per se, more lightly smugged after a while, though even that doesn't interfere with reading the screen. A quick swipe with a microfiber cleaning cloth and it's as good as new. I would imagine the 700's screen would be similar since they are both capacitive.

I also don't know how the built-in light on the 700 compares with the light wedge Sony sells for the 505, but if they are similar, then reading at night (in near to total darkness) should be no problem at all. I did exactly that for over two hours last night.

Last edited by Studio717; 10-03-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #148
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
The light is no big deal, it just kills your battery sooner. Easier and cheaper to light it with a normal book-light.

Nice looking device, but I would not even consider it if it was cheaper than the 505.
It doesn't look as if the light adds (significantly?) to the size of the device, so compared with the cost of a 505 plus the illuminated cover, the 700 seems a reasonable price.

I'd not upgrade from my 505, but if buying new, the 700 would certainly be considered...
Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #149
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Will it be sold in the EU?
I'll have it, if it'll be under 200€...
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 AM   #150
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Will it be sold in the EU?
I'll have it, if it'll be under 200€...
Nope. US only. At least for now. There's always B&H, though.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen