Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
quatermass
quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My last Kindle? #TeamVoyage

Let me start off by saying that the Kindle has been my favorite piece of tech since I first saw and purchased a Kindle 2. I've purchased and been happy with nearly every iteration since and wherever I go, my Kindle is close at hand. When the Voyage came out I wondered if we'd reached Peak Kindle; it was, and still is, close to perfect for me. Pocketable and with a glorious screen; white as paper with sharp contrast in the text. A clear improvement over the original Paperwhite.

Then the first Oasis was released and I had to sit out the release party as it was above my pay grade. I've since bought one used and love the little device; a screen as white and sharp as the Voyage but the battery in the case thing had me constantly worrying about how much charge remained at any given time, as I preferred to use it caseless. The last thing you should have to worry about with a Kindle, so I went back to my aging Voyage.

I've tried out the subsequent Oases and Paperwhites and have found them to be close to unreadable. Ghastly yellow tinted screens, soft contrast, fuzzy fonts, plastic screens (?). I struggle to read on them as they cause my reading speed to slow considerably. Just too fuzzy. I couldn't have a long reading session using one as my eyes got exhausted. Headache inducing. The press that repeats that "a warm screen is easier to read at night and is better for the eyes" is the opposite of my experience. Sounds like marketing. I prefer that cool bluish light at all times. Just me?

The Oasis 2 was the last I could read on somewhat comfortably. But each new device is getting yellower with the Oasis 3 being the nadir. Even with that orange screen slider at minimum, pages looked like a book that had been left open under the summer sun for a month. Is this really what the majority now prefer? A white screen with sharp contrast used to be the holy grail on Kindle forums, now few seem to want that anymore.

I took a chance on the latest Paperwhite as some posters reported getting screens as white as a Voyage. It was not to be. I returned three Paperyellows before giving up.

My second Voyage is now showing its age with diminishing battery life. I'm trying to find another Voyage for the future, as it's getting clearer that Amazon is no longer interested in keeping me, or those like me, as a customer.

I find it interesting that on Amazon's Kindle product pages, every Kindle photo, apart from those demonstrating the color temp slider, display bright white screens. If they believe most now want yellow screens, wouldn't their advertising show the true tint of the actual product? What goes on here?

Please, Amazon, for me, bring back the Voyage. Or something even better.

On another subject, has anyone noticed Amazon's Kindle customer service becoming as mediocre as their hardware? Used to be that reps were clearly Kindle users who kept up with complaints on forums. Now it's robotic reading from scripts with rote restart procedures and no hint that they're aware of the idiosyncrasies between the different devices through the years. It used to be a pleasure dealing with them. Now I dread it. Unfortunately it's no longer possible for me to be thrilled with a Kindle right out of the box, cuz I know what's coming.

- Disgruntled Old School Kindle Owner
quatermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I get what you mean. I do like my Oasis 3, but I too would prefer the screen to be a little less yellow with the warm light off. Still, I have no complaints about the contrast, which is good (at least with custom fonts).

Perhaps you should try a Kobo? The screen of my Libra is not yellow-tinted at all when the comfortlight is off. It's either bluish white or greenish white (depends on the ambient light). Be aware, though, that the Libra frontlight is more uneven than the frontlight of any Oasis (1, 2 or 3). That sort of thing bothers many people.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I agree the O3 screen should be whiter with the yellow slider all the way down.

Amazon is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one because they are getting slammed that the O3 screen is too white. It always amazes me that some people demand to forbid other people the ability to adjust to taste.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
In the meantime, buy a new battery for your Voyage. Doesn't look very hard.

I have 4 Voyages....
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I agree the O3 screen should be whiter with the yellow slider all the way down.

Amazon is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one because they are getting slammed that the O3 screen is too white. It always amazes me that some people demand to forbid other people the ability to adjust to taste.
The solution to that would be to use nice 14000K blue white leds, supplement with 1800K orange white, and have the default setting a mix of both to get 4800K as "normal". Then a slider to go more blue in one direction and more orange the other way. Complete adjustable to taste. Until the military people come in and demand green for night reading.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I recently changed the battery of my Voyage myself. Easy peasy! There's a good youtube video about how to do it.

Now my Voyage can last a while longer.

Edit: yes, like Tarana says!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
In the meantime, buy a new battery for your Voyage. Doesn't look very hard.

I have 4 Voyages....
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
I switched to Kindle just after the Voyage was discontinued and sold out. Then a few weeks ago Woot had refurbished ones for $69. What a deal! I didnt NEED another kindle, but I couldn't pass it up. Now the Voyage is my favorite. I find all the kindles I own, Paperwhite (latest), Voyage, and Oasis 2 to have white screens and sharp text. I see no need for yellow lights, I have a hard enough time staying up to finish my chapter as it is! Guess I am a non believer of the whole blue light is bad thing.

I will definitely be replacing the batteries to keep them going unless my dream kindle is built: thumb width side bezels with page turn buttons on both sides.

There are still some refurbished Voyages for sale here and there at $99.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have to admit that while I agree with the OP on most points, my Voyage languishes mostly unused. Yes, the screen is beautiful, but I prefer the larger screens and physical buttons of my other ereaders. I've never liked the Voyage from the ergonomic viewpoint, and the screen alone just isn't enough.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
AFAIK, the Kindle Voyage will be in stock on November 19, 2019, in both the Spanish & English Amazon shops (189,99€ or 169,99£, respectively).
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I switched to Kindle just after the Voyage was discontinued and sold out. Then a few weeks ago Woot had refurbished ones for $69. What a deal! I didnt NEED another kindle, but I couldn't pass it up. Now the Voyage is my favorite. I find all the kindles I own, Paperwhite (latest), Voyage, and Oasis 2 to have white screens and sharp text. I see no need for yellow lights, I have a hard enough time staying up to finish my chapter as it is! Guess I am a non believer of the whole blue light is bad thing.

I will definitely be replacing the batteries to keep them going unless my dream kindle is built: thumb width side bezels with page turn buttons on both sides.

There are still some refurbished Voyages for sale here and there at $99.

Same I have 3 Voyages , two are for back up. I love the white screen and sharp text on them. I also have an Oasis 2 nice white screen also. However the battery cannot be replaced on the Oasis 2 or 3. I think the white screen devices are going the way of the Dodo Bird sadly.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
AFAIK, the Kindle Voyage will be in stock on November 19, 2019, in both the Spanish & English Amazon shops (189,99€ or 169,99£, respectively).
A new one?
Or the original one?

(wasn't a brand new version of the Voyage rumored?)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #12
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle.../dp/B00IOY8XWQ

Here's three in stock right now. Seems to be the same one.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Notice that it's wifi only.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Same I have 3 Voyages , two are for back up. I love the white screen and sharp text on them. I also have an Oasis 2 nice white screen also. However the battery cannot be replaced on the Oasis 2 or 3. I think the white screen devices are going the way of the Dodo Bird sadly.
It is not possible to replace the Oasis 2 or 3 battery?

Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
It is not possible to replace the Oasis 2 or 3 battery?

No one has successfully opened an Oasis 2 (or presumably 3) without destroying the reader.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote