Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Figured out how to create "proper" Mobi books!

I've had a very useful day today; I've figured out how to create a "proper" MobiPocket format book (using the free "MobiPocket Creator" tool), using a BD-generated book at the starting point. I've posted a new version of "Bleak House" as my first example of this.

Once I figured out how to do it, it's pretty straightforward. I'd guess that, given a nice book in BD, one can have a Mobi version created with about 10 minutes work.

Anyone interested in a tutorial about how to do it?

The benefits of a proper Mobi version are many:

- Proper metadata in the file for author, title, category, etc, so it shows up properly in the library of a Mobi device.

- Full-sized cover image and pictures within the book (BD shrinks them down to tiny images).

- Centred text for titles, etc. (it all comes out left-aligned with a BD book).

- Proper "table of contents" link in the reading device.

etc etc.

I'm feeling very pleased with myself about this! I can now, finally, create illustrated MobiPocket books which as as nice as those I've created previously for the Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd love to see a tutorial - the version of 'Bleak House' looks brilliant; many thanks
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #18
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Boy, I'd really be interested, Harry, if you'd be so good as to take the time. And would you tell us what version of the Book Creator you're using and whether it's the Home or Professional edition?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've had a very useful day today; I've figured out how to create a "proper" MobiPocket format book (using the free "MobiPocket Creator" tool), using a BD-generated book at the starting point. I've posted a new version of "Bleak House" as my first example of this.

Once I figured out how to do it, it's pretty straightforward. I'd guess that, given a nice book in BD, one can have a Mobi version created with about 10 minutes work.

Anyone interested in a tutorial about how to do it?

The benefits of a proper Mobi version are many:

- Proper metadata in the file for author, title, category, etc, so it shows up properly in the library of a Mobi device.

- Full-sized cover image and pictures within the book (BD shrinks them down to tiny images).

- Centred text for titles, etc. (it all comes out left-aligned with a BD book).

- Proper "table of contents" link in the reading device.

etc etc.

I'm feeling very pleased with myself about this! I can now, finally, create illustrated MobiPocket books which as as nice as those I've created previously for the Sony Reader.
nice.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
DocSavage
DocSavage began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have been madly tweeking and peaking both HarryT's tutorial and the perl script if found for creating mobi files for my brand new kindle. On my Sony I was able to create 'collections' that could group series of books together in the order they were to be read. Is there a way to do this in the creation process for the Kindle/Mobi? Is there some sort of metadata that can be set?
DocSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could obviously indicate series order in the book's title. I don't believe the Kindle has any direct equivalent of the Sony's collections.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
Abraxus
Abraxus began at the beginning.

Device: x50v (and soon a Cybook)
Unable to make a page break

Hey all -

I'll ask this question here as this is the tutorial thread for BD... if I need to ask elsewhere, please let me know.

In using the guide at the beginning of this thread (thanks, HarryT!), I'm finding that I am unable to create a 'page break' in my BD file.

I use the 'create page break after selection' icon (after placing my cursor where I want the break), and I get an error 'beep.' If I select any text and try the same button, I get a message window that says 'page break can be inserted only after elements selected in the "one-click" element selector" mode.'

What am I doing wrong? I am in the 'editor' mode of BD, and everything else seems to work ok.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
Abraxus
Abraxus began at the beginning.

Device: x50v (and soon a Cybook)
Well, I just figured it out (of course, right after I get done with my question!).

For those that have had a similar issue, you need to click the mouse icon on the Corrector panel (top left icon). That gets you into 'one-click selector mode.'

Then, select a line-break (or whatever) and you can then choose the page-break button.

I think that BD must be a different version than what is referenced in HarryT's tutorial, as this and some of the other buttons were in different places, just FYI.
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, my tutorial illustrates a slightly older version of BD than the current one.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Very nice. Thanks!
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #26
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Page Breaks

Harry,
How do I remove/delete page break?

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
select
format/moretransformations/remove all page breaks.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A page break is shown in BD as a line across the page. Simply delete it, as you would any other text. You wouldn't normally want to remove ALL the page breaks, since you generally want a page break at the start of each chapter.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #29
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Page Breaks

Thanks to Patricia and Harry!

I must not have some elective enabled. When I click on the Page Break little boxes appear around it showing it to be selected. Neither the del key or the big X in the Corrector have any effect.

Patricia's answer worked, and I then selected Insert All Page Breaks and every thing came out fine.

Great tool!!

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #30
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How do I remove empty spaces between paragraphs?
I just got a book which has empty paragraph after every paragraph. It drives me nuts!

P.S. found it

Last edited by astra; 10-20-2008 at 01:38 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote