Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Pumpernickel
sandwich
Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: none
How to avoid dust getting into bezels of e-readers?

Has anyone had this issue with e-readers that have raised bezels? Dust will get into the sides of the screen near the bezels and it's really annoying. How can one combat this? A screen protector?
Pumpernickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Keep a can of compressed air around.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
A screen protector won’t do anything for dust, there’s still a crevice for dust to gather.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Can of compressed air and a microfiber towel

Don't ask about the cat hair ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It's not really a huge problem, is it? Blow at the edges, or use compressed air. Although I've never needed to go to those extremes. Dust doesn't build up that severely.

I do like the flush screens of the newer Kindles, but was not that bothered by the raised bezels. I put skins on my Kindles, so get a tiny edge from those. But the cover is closed if I'm not reading, so don't notice much dust buildup.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Can of compressed air and a microfiber towel

Don't ask about the cat hair ....
Does kitty like to read on Kindle?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll only read in a cleanroom facility.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Our house is hardly dust free - I have to wear Kevlar clothing to fight off the dust bunnies when I clean out the inside of my computers - but even given that, I don't see any dust on my Kindle.

If you're seeing a lot of dust, maybe you have static problem. Take you one of those anti-static drier sheets and lightly wipe down your Kindle with it - front, back and everywhere. We use those drier sheets for everything. Unused, as wipers to make things anti-static. After having been used with a load of laundry, as cleaning rags. They are much sturdier than paper towels (but they are not absorbent). They work good for scrubbing stove tops, sinks, showers, and anything else with a healthy coating of gunk. They are very very mildly abrasive - I even used one to rub off light surface rust on a steel surface. Worked perfectly! We actually get the most use out of them after they have already been used in the laundry. But rub your Kindle lightly - you only want to transfer some of the waxy feeling anti-static coating, you don't want to scour your Kindle.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Keep a can of compressed air around.
Nothing wrong with keeping a can of Compressed Air AROUND.

Just don't use it on the outside of things you don't want dust and things INSIDE of, when they were not there to begin with.
Where did I learn that I had been servicing things poorly? A class on how to maintain my wife's (then) new 5 thread serger. (She took me along, because I kept things running. And yes, I can run a sewing machine just fine. OTOH she can MAKE stuff that does not have 'sew here dummy' marks )

A very soft artists brush (natural fibers. less static), to dislodge the big stuff, FRESHLY CLEAN Micro-fibre cloth next, then a screen wipe towelette (or a barely damp micro fiber. Never spray directly onto the target. Spray the cloth, then wipe).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'll only read in a cleanroom facility.
They let you bring your reader inside?
They made me leave everything outside when I donned the bunny suit.
I had to bang on the window to get someone to turn the page.

theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I had to bang on the window to get someone to turn the page.
Wut, no approved zip-lock bag?
I've not tried it but people claim those are safe to read phone/tablet in the bath.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Wut, no approved zip-lock bag?
I've not tried it but people claim those are safe to read phone/tablet in the bath.
It works as long as it is capacitative touchscreen and not IR.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I must be one of the few people who prefers readers with bezels. The cloths bought for cleaning computer screens seem to get any fluff out of the corners of my kindle's screen; it removes grubby fingerprints too.

The artist's brush is a good idea, I might try that.

Re compressed air: some time ago I took my main laptop to be serviced. He blew high power air from a cylinder into it, sending out clouds of dust and cat hair. This was much more powerful than the silly cans of compressed air commonly available. So it has its place, if you have the equipment and expertise (she said).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I used to use a clean makeup brush now and then. Now I just rinse my reader off when it accumulates a bit much in the way of dust, cat hair, and fingerprints.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpernickel View Post
Has anyone had this issue with e-readers that have raised bezels? Dust will get into the sides of the screen near the bezels and it's really annoying. How can one combat this? A screen protector?
Leave the Reader in a clean room and never go in that room again. Problem solved,

Just get a microfiber cleaning cloth and use that to keep the bezel and screen clean.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote