Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Paperwhite (2018) vs Oasis 2 vs Voyage

This is not exhaustive but just some observations....

So as has been mentioned Woot has refurbished Voyages' on sale for $69, so I bought one for giggles and grins.
I now have a Oasis 2 (with original half-back leather cover), Paperwhite (2018) and the Voyage. I will give at least one away to a family member soon.
Anyway, here are some of my observations. First, I love the bigger screen and design of the Oasis 2 above the others. It is still my go to reader. Switch back and forth between my hands is just easy and intuitive. More words to have eyes on means a little less flipping for me.
The paperwhite is nice but is thicker than either of the others and a little taller than the Voyage. What I don't like is touching the screen to flip pages. I guess my skin is more oily than most but it gets dirty pretty quick. I have the same problem with my iPads of course.
The Voyage is the newest edition and I have only used it for a few days but here is what I have noticed and experienced thus far. The display is different than either the Oasis 2 or the Paperwhite. The background is a little lighter and the text appears to be a little darker but let me quickly state that this could because of the lighter background. I do not think this is better and is not something I would have noticed had I not been clued in to look for a difference.
The other thing I noticed is that the Voyage is lit at a very low level even if you think you have turned the light off. I am not sure why this is as neither the Oasis 2 or Paperwhite do this. When their light is off they are dark. I tested this in a dark room. This low lighting could also be part of the reason the background on Voyage looks lighter and text a tad darker.
Lighting wise, they all work just fine. I typically do not read in a pitch dark room, rather I will read in a low light room and have to use the lights a bit. They all seem fine to me and I have not bothered to look for gradients etc.
Lastly with the voyage, I do like the touch controls but it took a bit for me to get used to them. In the end I prefer the physical buttons of the Oasis 2.
I certainly will be keeping my Oasis 2 (I love the case by the way) and I will keep my Voyage (its' nude, I just store in a sleeve). The paperwhite would be just fine if I didn't have other devices but it will be the one I will be gifting to someone in the family.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
What did you think of the condition of the refurbished Voyage? Did it seem like new? Used but very good? Something else?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
What did you think of the condition of the refurbished Voyage? Did it seem like new? Used but very good? Something else?

It was like a brand new one, wrapped in the annoying plastic and all. Only difference was it came in a vanilla box that was the same form factor that I imagine new ones back in the day came in.

The device itself was flawless, no scratches, dents, etc. Battery life seems fine but have had only a couple of days.

I am pleased with what I got.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
XK143
XK143 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Back again after trying them all!
Quote:

I picked one up as well - excellent shape and best of all, no ads!
XK143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #5
TheSmitty
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK143 View Post
I picked one up as well - excellent shape and best of all, no ads!
Let me know if they eventually appear. My Voyage at first did not have ads either. Then I saw some goodreads ads and now I am getting them as usual. They are turned off on my other two. I was surprised they arrived.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Just got my refurbished voyage today. It is in like new condition. I really like having page turn on the bezel, and I am just thrilled that the power button is on the back, instead of the bottom where I always put a finger to support the device when reading one handed. The only thing that could make it better would be larger bezels and actual buttons for page turns, but after I use it for a few weeks I might not feel that way. Very Happy!

Old 11-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i really like the power button on the back of the voyage. wish they did this with all their kindles.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
I really like having page turn on the bezel, and I am just thrilled that the power button is on the back, instead of the bottom where I always put a finger to support the device when reading one handed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i really like the power button on the back of the voyage. wish they did this with all their kindles.
That's interesting, it's actually something I really don't like about the Voyage, at least with the origami case. When the case is open, it flips over to the back and effectively hides the power button; if the kindle goes to sleep, you have to actually lift the case to reach the button and turn it on again.

I like to leave my voyage in "standing" mode on the table; I really wish I could turn it on by pressing a button along the edge or the front, and not have to pick it up and fiddle with the case every time.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Tomk2
Groupie

I bought an Oasis on clearance, and now can also comment on the three readers. The Oasis and the voyage are almost a tie for me. The larger single sided bezel and actual buttons are great on the Oasis, but since I switch hands unconsciously the voyage has a big plus as well. The Paperwhite is nice, and I enjoy it as well. So the paperwhite is in my briefcase so it always goes to work with me. The Voyage is on my ground floor where I do lots of indoor and outdoor reading. The Oasis is at my bedside where I also do a lot of reading. No regrets on any of them.

That $69 refurbished Voyage was an unbelievable deal!