Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
harmtemolder
harmtemolder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
[GUI Plugin] KOReader Sync

I recently started using KOReader on my Kobo and absolutely love it! The only thing I’m missing is the way in which the Kobo Utilities plugin pulled my read progress into calibre. So I decided to remedy that:

KOReader Sync is a calibre plugin to synchronize metadata from KOReader to calibre.

KOReader creates sidecar files that hold read progress and annotations. This plugin reads the data from those sidecar files and updates calibre’s metadata based on them. It is inspired by the Kobo Utilities plugin, that synchronizes reading progress between the original Kobo firmware (“Nickel”) and custom columns in calibre.

Note that at the moment the sync is one-way—from the KOReader device to calibre—and only works for USB devices. Support for smart devices is on the to-do list.

Types of columns you can sync:
- A “Floating point numbers” column to store the current percent read, with “Format for numbers” set to {:.0%}.
- A regular “Text” column to store the location you last stopped reading at.
- A “Rating” column to store your rating of the book, as entered on the book’s status page.
- A “Long text” column to store your review of the book, as entered on the book’s status page.
- A regular “Text” column to store the reading status of the book, as entered on the book status page (“Finished”, “Reading”, “On hold”).
- A “Date” column to store the date on which the book’s status was last modified. (This is probably the date on which you marked it as read.)
- A regular “Text” column to store the MD5 hash KOReader uses to sync progress to a KOReader Sync Server. (“Progress sync” in the KOReader app.) This might allow for syncing progress to calibre without having to connect your KOReader device, in the future.
- A “Long text” column to store the raw contents of the metadata sidecar, with “Interpret this column as” set to “Plain text”.

Download:
You can download the latest release from the attachment at the bottom of this post, or from sourcehut.

Issues:
If you encounter any issues with the plugin, please submit them here or in this forum thread.

Source:
The source code of this plugin can be found on sourcehut as well.

Version History
Spoiler:

0.1.2-alpha: 2020-11-21
  • Added
    • Support for KOBO and KOBOTOUCH devices

0.1.1-alpha: 2020-11-18
  • Added
    • Support for all possible filetypes
    • Variables to easily enable a dry-run when debugging and remote debugging

0.1.0-alpha: 2020-11-18
  • Added
    • Everything needed for a first working version of the plugin
    • dummy_device and dummy_library for easy debugging
    • Makefile to build a plugin release as a ZIP file
    • TODO to keep to-dos in one place
    • environment.yml, in case anyone wants to recreate my Conda environment
    • This README.md

I’m very curious to hear what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KOReader Sync v0.1.2-alpha.zip (61.7 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by harmtemolder; 11-23-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Add Version History
harmtemolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Please consider attaching the plugin to your post as opposed to making people head elsewhere
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
harmtemolder

Sorry about that, will add the latest ZIP right away
Old 11-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
harmtemolder

Release 0.1.2-alpha

I cannot seem to edit my original post, so I’ll attach the latest release of the plugin here. It should now support Kobo devices (tested on my Kobo Aura) as well as generic USB and folder devices.

EDIT: I crossed the threshold to be able to edit my original post, so added release 0.1.2-alpha there and removed it here.

Last edited by harmtemolder; 11-23-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Tags
calibre, koreader