Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
cybook gen3 vs sony 505 vs bebook for Manga

Hi
I know that there are many sony vs cybook ( edit : vs bebook, it's now available in France ) thread here, but my utilization of this device is special.Indeed, i would use it to read manga. My manga are .jpg and .pdf.
Which is the better reader to read Manga and if I have to convert my manga, which is the faster and the easier tutorial ? ( My English is very bad and i see a lot of tutorial for manga or comics, but i don't know which is the best method to convert ..)
Thank you !

Last edited by Icey; 10-22-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
You asked the question I've put on separate threads. So bump and +1
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
up!
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The Sony is probably best - it has 8-level greyscale and calibre supports cbr/cbz conversion to LRF with excellent dithering.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Between the 505 and the cybook, the 505 is definitely the better choice. The grey scales on the cybook makes most pages seemed overbrightened compared to the larger range of the 505.

As for ease, I find the the CBZ\CBR function in Calibre works very well and is basically a point/click/use solution.

The main problem you will have will deal with the source material itself. Not only are you reducing the size of the page you are reading but also reducing the sizes of the fonts used on the page. In many cases it will become harder to read than before with some fonts becoming completely unreadable (fonts that started out very thin to begin with will be nothing more than stray dots after being reduced).

Right now for manga reading using a dedicated E-ink reader would be:
Iliad>505>Cybook/Kindle (Iliad wins due to large size and good greyscale but is very expensive compared to other options.)

Another option to look at is the new set of mobiles called "netbooks". These are smaller and cheaper than standard notebooks, have very good resolution and screen sizes and can run pretty much any reader or viewer program out there. They are NOT as pocket portable or as long lasting between charges as a dedicated reader but are none the less a viable alternative. (I'm currently using a friends Acer Aspire while he's in a training lockdown and find that it would be an excellent complement to my either my Sony or my Cybook. The dedicated readers are better for text reading, the netbook for graphics and general use. (Though I will admit that lying on the couch with the netbook open on your stomach and a wireless mouse to scroll though the pages IS pretty nifty. Lazy but nifty.)
Advert