Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #46
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
This worked for me too. Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
Thanks for the script link. It works for me. I've never even used Nook for PC. I hope this script continues to work.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #47
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
... And, installed Greasemonkey and the appropriate script. It works. Thanks!

But I'm really, really peeved that I have to jump through these hoops to get access to what I've paid for.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #48
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I've never bought from Google Play before, and I have some problems with their apps being intrusive, but it's worth cultivating a new option.
The Play Books app seems to have improved in performance, though Google is Google in terms of intrusiveness, so that hasn't really changed.

You can also download Play books right from the site from your browser into ADE and use them with any ADE-authorized app (or Alf them if that's in your workflow). Standard ADE DRM. The download links used to be well hidden but now you just hover over the cover, click the three-squares icon and select "download epub".

Though I don't buy much there, they are actually one of my favorites in terms of usability / flexibility.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash

(insert several choice words here, most of them not suitable for this forum)
I'm sure many of us can imagine a few of those choice words with no trouble. They're probably either identical twins or at least close siblings to the ones running through our own heads at the present time. Definitly a on B&N's decision to do this.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #50
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded it and finally got it to open, but I can't get it to sync with my library. The only book that shows up is the user guide that comes preloaded on the Nook. I clicked on the refresh button (the circular one), but nothing happens.

Is there something else I need to do to get my books to load? Or perhaps it doesn't like Mavericks? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Wow thanks for the heads up. I can confirm that Nook for Mac can still download books. I just downloaded this application today.
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #51
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Just tweeted my annoyance to @NOOK_Care, and this is their reply:

"The ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So I guess the ability to download to your computer is gone for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
That's pretty much the answer I got at Facebook. In my reply I did say that it was something else for me to consider when deciding where to buy content.

I've never bought from Google Play before, and I have some problems with their apps being intrusive, but it's worth cultivating a new option.
Then the ability for me to purchase ebooks from B&N has been discontinued. We say to B&N go

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #52
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Or perhaps it doesn't like Mavericks? Thanks!
NOOK for Mac does not like Mavericks*. You can use NOOKstudy (still available as a download here) to get your books, but you'll have to click and wait for each and every one of them manually via View Details/Download and it's a very tedious process if you, like me, have acquired a lot of them over the years.

I hope B&N gets enough backlash from this that they reconsider, although given their past history of poor business decisions, e-book-wise, I have low expectations†.

* I'm going to try booting back into a backup of 10.8 or putting NOOK for Mac on my old Mac Mini and/or NOOK for PC on my old netbook and see if I can get the auto-download to work that way. Mavericks users with alternative OSes may also wish to do the same instead.

† Yeah, still bitter about Fictionwise.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #53
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
B&N is now like Amazon and the others. Kindle for PC, Nook for PC, ADE.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #54
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
In what way? I can (and have) downloaded all of my books bought from Amazon with no problem at all. I know that there are some books on the Kobo store that can't be downloaded, but most of them can be.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #55
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Not exactly, since B&N haven't been updating their computer apps. If you read the thread you'll find that Nook for Mac doesn't work with Mavericks for instance. Also anyone with a Kindle device can download a backup directly to their computer, no need for a program.

Since I cannot download a backup from Nook, I will not be buying anything else from them. Fortunately I have already downloaded everything, including two books I bought last week.

Last edited by Synamon; 09-18-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #56
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

I got NOOKstudy installed and it imported all my books, but where do I find the downloads on my hard drive? They don't appear in my Downloads folder or the Downloads menu on the Dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
NOOK for Mac does not like Mavericks*. You can use NOOKstudy (still available as a download here) to get your books, but you'll have to click and wait for each and every one of them manually via View Details/Download and it's a very tedious process if you, like me, have acquired a lot of them over the years.

I hope B&N gets enough backlash from this that they reconsider, although given their past history of poor business decisions, e-book-wise, I have low expectations†.

* I'm going to try booting back into a backup of 10.8 or putting NOOK for Mac on my old Mac Mini and/or NOOK for PC on my old netbook and see if I can get the auto-download to work that way. Mavericks users with alternative OSes may also wish to do the same instead.

† Yeah, still bitter about Fictionwise.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #57
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
I got NOOKstudy installed and it imported all my books, but where do I find the downloads on my hard drive? They don't appear in my Downloads folder or the Downloads menu on the Dock.
You really do have to download the actual files manually by going View Details/Download for each title (syncing your library only updates the list of books you have and your notes/highlights, unless you have much better luck with the app than I do), and they'll eventually show up in Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/[email address of your B&N account]
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #58
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'd say B&N is actually worse for doing this the way they did. Kobo is a close second for their kepub nonsense. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the desktop apps for both disappear soon - they're already hiding Nook for PC, you have to search for it. The "reading apps" page only has mobile devices + the windows store app. Kobo has done the same.

At least Amazon (from the Kindle era on) has always been the way they are so we knew what we were dealing with and what to expect, and they still have the desktop app and allow downloading, even if the download is device-specific.

Once Kobo completes their transition, that leaves just Google Play and the few remaining indie retailers using ADE.

Edited to add - I'm differentiating "desktop app" from Win 8 / Win Phone apps, in case it wasn't clear.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #59
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Just tweeted my annoyance to @NOOK_Care, and this is their reply:

"The ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So I guess the ability to download to your computer is gone for good.
Ugh. Wow.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Greasemonky script for B&N can be found at http://userscripts-mirror.org/script...152985.user.js

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-08-2014 at 06:35 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote