Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #466
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Actually, I would argue that it does the unexpected. It performs much better than I would have expected given my previous experiences with eink on other devices.

Web-browsing is remarkably good on the Note. Pleasurable even.
Eink is not going to do everything but it's alright for casual use, that is how it seems to me. You're probably not going to do some serious research with 20 tabs open basically.

Maybe you could with a BT mouse and keyboard.

(But I haven't tried the Note or Max2 yet.)

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 04-23-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #467
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
You're probably not going to do some serious research with 20 tabs open basically
Since it is difficult to match "serious" with something else than "desktop environment".

Who has tried the 20 tabs on Android has not reported. I used the "20 tabs" on the Max2 displaying a Linux desktop: no problem. So no, E-Ink is usable in that context.

Quote:
And exactly there lies the difference: power (of course meaning on Android) and real estate.

Last edited by mdp; 04-23-2018 at 08:04 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #468
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Since it is difficult to match "serious" with something else than "desktop environment".

Who has tried the 20 tabs on Android has not reported. I used the "20 tabs" on the Max2 displaying a Linux desktop: no problem. So no, E-Ink is usable in that context.

And exactly there lies the difference: power (of course meaning on Android) and real estate.
I was referring to the visual latency you mentioned before, and perhaps why an eink device might differ from a regular tablet (in extreme circumstances). Perhaps to say "for casual use" is a not giving enough credit. Power increases the usability, I recognize this already as I have used a quad core eink phone.

I was actually one here to call these devices tablets. I've been hoping to use eink in this way since the first kobo aura had scrolling without any refreshes. There is a fun geeky kind of feeling I have about eink, it gives me that feeling of using a really old computer, except backlit-free ofc.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 04-23-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #469
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Eink is not going to do everything but it's alright for casual use, that is how it seems to me.
That would be the expectation based on other eink devices. Which is precisely why I said that its performance is "unexpected".

It performs really well contrary to what one might have expected so that one would be able to get some serious work done on it (although maybe not 20 tabs, but I seldom have that many tabs open even on my workhorse).

Quote:
I think you may be surprised. However, as stated, it is not a tablet and will not perform in an identical fashion to one. But it is a remarkable and eminently useful device.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #470
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
Still not available in Amazon.com How are people getting it. I almost lost my interest now!
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #471
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvreviews View Post
Still not available in Amazon.com How are people getting it. I almost lost my interest now!
I recommend to do it with eReader Store, it shipped to me to Mexico flawlessly, maybe you will have some delays but this is because of the manufacturer.
There is no need to wait for Amazon.
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #472
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
That would be the expectation based on other eink devices. Which is precisely why I said that its performance is "unexpected".
I have used an eink phone with basically the same specs which is good (though it does indeed lack real estate). There is a note review however where the scrolling response looks rather similar to my n96ml. That may have influenced me.

Quote:
I think you may be surprised. However, as stated, it is not a tablet and will not perform in an identical fashion to one. But it is a remarkable and eminently useful device.
I thought there would agreement on my intended point, that when used as a tablet (swiping) it would have less productivity (under high work load, i.e. switching tabs often, skimming web pages) than a high end tablet. That seems like an acceptable compromise to me, but I’d be happy to be surprised.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 04-23-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #473
iFlak
Enthusiast
iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: reMarkable
Quote:

I got the reMarkable. Super happy with it.
iFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #474
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got mine from the ereader.store in Germany.

https://ereader.store/en/

I live in Canada. It is the second ereader I have bought from there without incident. Highly recommend.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #475
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
If it does, we will present a long petition to Onyx for the next firmwares (Max2 and Note).
Well, I gave this a try!

I edited build.prop, saved my edit, and rebooted the Note. I then went to Developer Options and enabled Multi-Window Mode. So far, so good.

I tapped the multitasking button to see my available apps. Sure enough, each one had that new icon to the left of the x.

However - when I tapped the new icon, nothing happened. No pop-up came up asking me where I wanted to position the app on the screen. I tried rebooting the Note again. Still, nothing.

Well, I didn't make anything crash. But multi-window mode isn't working.

Edit: in case someone doesn't know what I'm referring to, please check out post #462!

Last edited by downeaster59; 04-23-2018 at 06:57 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #476
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFlak View Post
I got the reMarkable. Super happy with it.
The reMarkable could be a good idea but the hardware specs are very oudated: RAM: 512 MB, PROCESSOR: 1Ghz and STORAGE: 8GB something similar like my old Ipad 2 from 2011... so reMarkable has a hardware 7 years old... no way I could even think in buying that thing, at least Note hardware is only 4 years old, better isn't it?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #477
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Four year old hardware isn't necessarily bad. A couple of years ago, I gave my old Nexus 7 (2013) to a friend. It actually holds up pretty well, even now!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #478
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Four year old hardware isn't necessarily bad. A couple of years ago, I gave my old Nexus 7 (2013) to a friend. It actually holds up pretty well, even now!
I've got a 6 year old Acer tablet which I still use, and a laptop which must be about 10 years old which is my main workhorse. They suffice for most of my needs.

Now, perhaps if I were into gaming, I mightn't be just as satisfied...
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #479
citytrader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
All depends, in the case of old architecture there is less battery optimization, is not only related to power; in the case of the tablets, the battery is mostly drained by the display and modems instead of the system architecture.

As I said before I believe the Note's CPU power is ok to manage the documents, something I don't believe the reMarkable could be able to manage to open some documents and maybe browsing the web at the same time because of the memory and the cpu heavy limitations.

The same for the phone, I never buy a phone with a battery less than 3500mah @5.5" screen, for this I prefer a phone from 2016 instead of the last flagship from Samsung and I don't care how much they cost because I can buy any phone.

About other devices, I need a fast laptop because I run virtual machines in there for the job I do and something less than i7 and 8GB is not possible to use, so all depends of what kind of use anyone do with their device.

Last edited by citytrader; 04-23-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #480
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I thought there would agreement on my intended point, that when used as a tablet (swiping) it would have less productivity (under high work load, i.e. switching tabs often, skimming web pages) than a high end tablet. That seems like an acceptable compromise to me, but I’d be happy to be surprised.
Just for a trial, I opened nine apps, including the browser which had three open tabs. Wifi was on. Had no trouble jumping between apps and open tabs on the browser.

Was it as fast as a tablet? No.

However, transitions were relatively fast and smooth.

Would it please everybody? Probably not. Depends on what you need it to do.