Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Best 5" Ebook Reader?

For now lets limit this to ones reasonably available in the USA. I have the Kobo Mini and the Sony PRS-300 and PRS-350 models.

Personally I think the Sony PRS-350 is my preferred model as I like the 5 switches across the bottom of the screen, the ability to handle and show photos and the mostly metal covers construction. The frame of the 350 is plastic. The note taking is also a nice feature. It, along with the PRS-300, is readily available at good prices on ebay typically.

The Kobo has the advantage of handling both Epub and Mobi book files but is touch screen only. It does have a accessory sleep cover originally made for it by Kobo if you can find one but both the reader and cover are much scarcer on ebay than the Sony models. The reader is typically more expensive too. I lucked into the reader in NOS condition and the cover a bit later, still in the original packaging.

I also have an Aluratek LCD screen 5" reader which I consider strictly a collectors item.

Any others I have not mentioned that I should look for? I would love to find a 5" model with illuminated screen. I have the Sony illuminated cover for one of my PRS-350 readers but while it works well it makes the reader about as bulky overall as the Sony PRS-T3 which is the lightest and most compact 6" e-ink reader I know of, even with it's lighted cover.

Last edited by Richwood; 03-14-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Best 5" Ebook Reader?
PocketBook 360°.
Unfortunately they are not made anymore and the availability in USA has been problematic even at the height of its fame.

I am not aware of any less than 6" reader being manufactured nowadays.

I have been on the look out for a 5" front-lit e-ink reader for ages and there is no such device.

There is YotaPhone with AMOLED screen on one side and an e-ink on the back. Fantastic device, but expensive and not strictly a reader.
I own YotaPhone 2 that I purchased for a heavily discounted price a couple of years ago.

Last edited by kacir; 03-12-2018 at 07:17 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
New ones are 7"+
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I like the 5" readers. I currently own (more than one) Sony 350 and 300 and an Astak EZReader Pocket Pro (just picked up) – this was one of the re-branded Hanlin V5s, along with BeBook Mini, Papyre 5.1 and Lbook V5. It's lighter and has more features than the Sony 300 or 350, but the build quality doesn't match up, nor does the screen seem quite as dark and sharp. They used that soft "rubbery" plastic for the case (which is nice when new, but can get tacky as it ages). But the Hanlin V5 had an SD Card slot, could play music, had justified text and nine font size choices. It also had a rocker switch on the right side for turning pages, two page turn buttons on the left side and the "9" and "0" buttons on the bottom also could turn pages (or go to the next footnote, kind of like the Sony). So that's kind of nice for page turning. The numbered switches worked kind of like the numbered switches on the Sony 300. The EzReader Pro is slightly smaller than the 300 and a good deal lighter at 5.6 ounces (about the same weight as the 350). If it had a little darker screen I would like it more, but it is still readable.

BTW, thanks for the Aluratek mention. These look pretty easy to find and relatively cheap.

Looking at Wikipedia, I see the following small eReaders (most of them probably really rare). (These are besides the ones mentioned above.)

Trekstor Pyrus Mini - 4.3" screen. Would like to find one of these.
Pocketbook 360 & Plus - 5" (look to be extremely hard to find)
txtr Beagle - 5" (ran on two double or triple AA/AAA (not sure which) batteries connected to smartphone via Bluetooth, originally sold for $15)
Bookeen Cybook Opus - 5"
Samsung Papyrus - 5" – This one looks really nice. I'm guessing very, very rare as it looks they only made them for a year.

(EDIT: Found another one not listed in Wikipedia, the PocketBook 515, which came out a little after the Trekstor Pyrus Mini.)

That's all Wikipedia shows. eBay doesn't have Pocketbook 360s, but they have replacement screens. What I find odd is that these screen assemblies are sold both for the 360 and the Sony PRS-300.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-11-2018 at 06:38 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
billthrow
billthrow began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600 prs300 Prst-1 Kobo Mini Nook HD+
Use your smartphone. They are more versatile and read Amazon books.
billthrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billthrow View Post
Use your smartphone. They are more versatile and read Amazon books.
Or, better yet, use a InkCase Plus as described in our wiki. This unit can be used independently or hooked to a smartphone giving you a screen on the back side along with a rugged case.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best 5" Reader is the Kobo Mini unless a 5" Reader with front light, Carta screen, and touchscreen is released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best 5" Reader is the Kobo Mini unless a 5" Reader with front light, Carta screen, and touchscreen is released.
Didn't you visit GoodEreader? The Kobo Mini 2 is on the way
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Didn't you visit GoodEreader? The Kobo Mini 2 is on the way
But Mother's Day has already come and gone.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But Mother's Day has already come and gone.
Touche!

I wish their 'Ultimate Ereader' would have worked out better.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Touche!

I wish their 'Ultimate Ereader' would have worked out better.
So . . . it wasn't quite as ultimate as they had hoped?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It wasn't even penultimate.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It is an ultimate Reader. An ultimate disaster.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
If you mostly side load book files then I would say the Kobo Mini or Sony PRS-350 are about equal. The major advantage of the Mini is the wi-fi. The Sony has the advantage of the hardware buttons for several functions including page turns. So to me a bit of a wash to choose the :best" between the two.

What I want is a 300 DPI illuminated screen, communications, current Kobo font controls and choices as well as page turn buttons or sensors.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
If you mostly side load book files then I would say the Kobo Mini or Sony PRS-350 are about equal. The major advantage of the Mini is the wi-fi. The Sony has the advantage of the hardware buttons for several functions including page turns. So to me a bit of a wash to choose the :best" between the two.

What I want is a 300 DPI illuminated screen, communications, current Kobo font controls and choices as well as page turn buttons or sensors.
The software on the Mini is better than the software on the 350. The biggest problem I had with Sony Readers is the way it rescans the books every time you reboot or unplug from USB. WIth Kobo, it on;y scans new books and once done. it's done. Plus, the version of RMSDK on the Mini supports more features, better fonts, and hyphenation. So IMHO, the reading experience of the Mini is better than that of the 350. I have a 650 and I know the reading experience of the Kobo software is better. And the processor is faster and it handles hi-res images much better.