Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
How can I sort a column so 'empty' fields are last?

I'd like to be able to sort a custom column so I see the entries in ascending alpha-numeric order with the blank entries last.

It's a column created from other columns via template programming, so I can put whatever value I want in the 'blank' entries.

The obvious solution would be to use a whitespace character that sorts past 'z' in the sorting sequence, but I don't know if there is such a character. (Actually I haven't been able to figure out precisely what collation sequences Calibre uses.)

I'd even settle for a nearly invisible character if that's the best I can do.

Thoughts anyone?

p.s. I'm on Windows 10, which may or may not make a difference.

Last edited by capnm; 02-06-2017 at 11:32 PM.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses ICU language based collation rules. I dont recall what they do with all the various unicode space characters, but I'd start looking there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Well .... that's what I was trying to do, but got lost.
Actually, I was looking at the collation charts at unicode.org, but I'm not sure if that's where I should be looking.

I'm wondering if it sorts all the punctuation/symbols before the digits, before the alpha characters. The unicode site isn't really clear (to me) about that.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just try it with a few of the unicode space characters starting with a simple space, then using non-breaking space, quarter, space, half space, double space etc, etc.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
capnm
Groupie

Tried that without any luck.
I was hoping I missed something obvious, or that someone else had done it already.
Guess not.

Thanks for the quick response, though!
Advert