Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #16
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Note 8, 10 and 12.2 lol

Have you done a review of the 12.2? I have looked at it but not handled extensively enough to form an opinion...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post

Have you done a review of the 12.2? I have looked at it but not handled extensively enough to form an opinion...
Actually I have. Do you use Google+? There is a group dedicated to the note 12.2 over there you may find useful. Also the 10.1 2014 Ed has a group. These are similar enough that it can be helpful for the 12.
PM me your email or google+ and I will share my review. Its in the Google+ group and no way to link you to it.

I'm sure you've figured out a lot of it by now. But in the spirit of Edge, I think this is the closet thing you'll find. It doesn't have dual screens but with running 2 to 4 apps at a time, the ability to screen cap any screen, book or anything else your looking at, annotate it and save it to galley, email, dropbox, hangouts or however you want to use it is really nice.

As an example, my husband sends me to the hardware store. I take my 8" with me. I take a pic of whatever I think it is he wanted. The other day he sent me out looking for a generator, something I know nothing about! So I took pictures of the boxes with all the specs, watts, price etc. Adding a little note to it and dropped it in hangouts where he was able to view it, read everything and give me instant feedback.

The Inking is amazingly smooth. I use Lecture Notes or Papyrus. Lately I've used Papyrus. Now that OneNote is free on all devices, and finally on Mac too, I sometimes write notes on the 12.2 send them to myself as a PDF then print it to OneNote on my PC.

The Android version of OneNote is still lacking compared to the Metro Win 8 App or even the iOS app, hopefully we'll get an update for it.

Anyway, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Synergi; 07-05-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
................and I just lost the charging port on one of my pocket edges, still have 2 left. I guess I can use the bad one for parts...

The new "thinnies" do look appetizing... I still prefer reading on my edge... a little heavier than the new models, but still............
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
tarlcab
Enthusiast
tarlcab began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge x3, Boyue T62, Yotaphone 3, Hisense A6L
https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...android-4-0-4/

This is the next big deal i think. It has the Wacom sylus and Android 4.04.
tarlcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
Gerrye
Zealot

Cool New Onyx-Boox

If I'm calculating correctly the price is $404. USD shipped to Brazil before duties?

Not exactly Kindle pricing....

P. S.

I took a look at the specs and was not very impressed. It has a relatively slow processor (for these times anyways), a small amount of ram and not much internal storage. Will it store to the SD card, which seems to be limited to 32GB, (there are 256 GB cards out there now). The charging adapter is additional, so you have to charge it through the microSD port or your own plug in charger, if you have one. It will be interesting to see how well it does after it's release on the 21st.

Last edited by Gerrye; 07-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
tarlcab
Enthusiast

Yeah for those that like the digitizer, I think this might be the best there is at the moment at 9.7 inches. The Onyx Lynx with higher resolution and a 6.8 inch screen (and night light) is more sophisticated, but lacks the digitizer.

The Ent. Edge to me, is still a cool machine.

I am also interested in the E-Ink phone that Onyx is pushing (sold out). I like they are invested in unique technology.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Oh man. The Boox looks awesome. I love my PE but having a higher resolution screen is something I miss. I... I may buy that boox soon. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #23
Gerrye
Zealot

Something to check out, regarding Pearl Eink screens....

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...s-e-ink-pearl/

I think that they'll have to have shave the price abit to compete with the Kindle DX...
Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #24
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Gerrye, the speed of the processor is totally irrelevant when used with an e-ink screen - the screen refresh rate is the limiting factor. Also, why would you want more than 32GB to store e-books? I have 800 rather large technical manuals (e-pub & pdf) that take up 1.8GB, e-pubs just for reading take up another 3GB. The remainder of the space on my 16GB card holds service software to check clients systems.

As far as I know the Kindle DX is now only available as a refurbished unit if you can find one (on the Amazon site they have 9 used from $250 at the moment - no new ones).
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The speed of the cpu is in /no way/ irrelevant. Yes, you have a refresh limit on eInk but you still have to render the files. Anything to make PDF viewing smoother is good imo, and that generally requires a fast CPU.

As for why need more than 32gb? 'eh, thati s entirely up to user preferences. My girlfriend is more than happy with her ~6gb of space on her nook and just asks me to load new books on it as she finishes.

I have 64gb in my eDGe and keep a huge book library on it as I like having an entire library at my finger tips. I have a couple 10k books. Someone recommends a book and I whip out my eDGe and do a search and 7-10 times I already have a copy
Old 08-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #26
Gerrye
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Gerrye, the speed of the processor is totally irrelevant when used with an e-ink screen - the screen refresh rate is the limiting factor. Also, why would you want more than 32GB to store e-books? I have 800 rather large technical manuals (e-pub & pdf) that take up 1.8GB, e-pubs just for reading take up another 3GB. The remainder of the space on my 16GB card holds service software to check clients systems.

As far as I know the Kindle DX is now only available as a refurbished unit if you can find one (on the Amazon site they have 9 used from $250 at the moment - no new ones).
Today on Amazon, Used DX $159.77

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tal-text%2C326
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #27
tarlcab
Enthusiast

Why the heck would you want a POS Kindle DX? That technology is 3 yrs old and was not that great when it was new. Better to buy an old EE.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #28
Gerrye
Zealot

Well, I was using the DX as an example vs. the Boox... I have an older EE the operating system has been problematic and the battery is becoming an issue. As are the batteries for any of the eDGes... I think their time is passing... I'd love to find a decent, modern E-ink unit, but I think they all will have some issues....
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #29
helf
Zealot

Luckily the battery in the PE (probably the EE, not sure) are LiPo and should last a long time. I still get ~6 hours of heavy tablety use out of mine (web browsing etc) and 11-13 hours of straight ereader use. So it is holding up well.

I will probably replace it with something else in the next year or two, though. The Boox looks fantastic and I have my heart set on the Earl, too (meetearl.com)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #30
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
get an earl and let me know how it turns out :d
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ee pe, new age, samsung galaxy note, tablet