Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Theon144
Theon144 began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Kindle 3 got stolen, can't decide on a replacement

My trusty K3 (along with that leather cover with a lamp ) got stolen recently, and I haven't been able to decide which e-reader should I get instead.

I'm not against getting another K3 (I did like the keyboard a lot), but since the contrast and ppi of e-paper has gotten better since I bought it right after its release, I'd rather buy a reader with a prettier display.

A hard requirement for me is e-ink and physical page switch buttons, and some sort of Instapaper (or Readability or other article service) support - I used its service that sends a digest of articles to your @kindle.com address which worked okay, but I'm sure there's other options besides that.

From what I understood, for instance, there are some e-readers that run full on Android? Would I be just able to install the Instapaper app then? But don't the Android readers have worse battery life than e-readers which run a stripped down optimized OS?

Other than that, I have no strict requirements - I didn't use the Amazon shop so I don't need it; I'd like to read a bit of manga too, but I'm fine with converting it to whatever format necessary (same goes for epub/mobi).

Thanks in advance!
Theon144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
If you want a new device, among current "mainstream" eink devices, only the kindle oasis ($250) and nook glowlight 3 ($120) have physical buttons. I am not familiar enough with the nook to tell if it will support your other requirements.

If you want to try other brands, there are android devices from Onyx and Boyue that have page turn buttons as well as storage expansion slots. They work reasonably well and should be able to support your requirements. You should not have battery life issues with lightweight apps.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote