Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
jerry7171
jerry7171 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Abbyy Finereader 12 distorts pages

Hi. I'm using a VuPoint Magic Wand to copy pages from reference books for research. I've gotten great using the Magic Wand and the resulting JPG files are clean and sharp.

Abbyy Finereader 12 for Mac has no problem doing OCR on the page images, even the ones with Greek (impressive).

What I can't figure out is why it takes a random page and distorts it? Badly in most cases. I always double check the scans before importing them into Finereader as I want to get good results the first time.

Please see the before and after.

I can't find any options to reset just a single page. I have tried using the perspective distortion to attempt to undo what Finereader did but I have no success. I've removed problem pages like this one, finished the remainder and then tried to import the pages again. The same severe distortions happen again.

I've opened the problem pages in Prizmo and it has no distortions but the OCR leaves much to be desired.

Is there some tip or trick for getting Finereader to leave these random pages alone and just our them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Art of Praxiteles volume 1 - 158.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	160691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 10.03.40 PM.png
Views:	327
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	160692  
jerry7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
You can run those problem images through Scan Tailor before importing them into Fine Reader. I use Scan Tailor in OSX via Wine, as you can see from the screenshot. Once processed, Fine Reader will not distort the image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fr.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	160705   Click image for larger version

Name:	fr1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	160706   Click image for larger version

Name:	st.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	160707  
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry7171 View Post
What I can't figure out is why it takes a random page and distorts it? Badly in most cases. I always double check the scans before importing them into Finereader as I want to get good results the first time.

Please see the before and after.
Probably something about the way that image is stored is confusing Finereader.

If you go into Tools > Options > Scan/Open, you should see a few options. Here is mine:

Name:	Finereader12ScanOpen.png
Views:	375
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	160749

Maybe you have "Deskew Images" or "Correct trapezoid distortions" or one of the other options checked. (Scan/Open only works when you first import the document/images into Finereader. So you probably can't salvage the already messed up images.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry7171 View Post
I can't find any options to reset just a single page. I have tried using the perspective distortion to attempt to undo what Finereader did but I have no success. I've removed problem pages like this one, finished the remainder and then tried to import the pages again. The same severe distortions happen again.
To tweak an individual page image, you can push on the Edit Image button. That then shows you a bunch of the tools on the right side:

Name:	Finereader12EditImage.png
Views:	337
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	160750

If you get these types of distortions, maybe it would be best to tell Finereader to not preprocess your images at all. Again, you could go back to Tools > Options > Scan/Open + uncheck the "Automatically process pages as they are added" box.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abbyy finereader, distortion