Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 03:15 AM   #1
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Night mode problem with one book

I usually read in Night Mode on my iPad as I find it easier on my eyes.

I have just got a third book from one particular author for review. The TOC and forward all work perfectly in night mode, however, the main book content does not display as it seems that the font is hard-coded as black.

I have looked at the CSS within the book and can't see anything obvious, I have contacted the author and he doesn't know but has not told me what he uses to prepare his ePub books.

Anyone got any bright ideas?
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Two things to try (not "bright" ideas, fairly dim, but might work):

- Marvin has 5 color presets to play with. Create or modify one of the presets. Try a medium gray paper color to see if text becomes visible.

- Change the "publisher's layout" setting. If it is on, turn off. If off, turn on.

Neither of the above will "fix" the epub, but might offer a preset that makes the epub easier on the eyes.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 02:51 AM   #3
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestions @MartyTX that is what I have done with the colour presets but publishers mode makes no difference.

Looks like I will have to dig through the CSS some more
Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I've seen this problem before with books from smashwords. Their guide tells authors to hard code the color of the text to black...apparently that is so they can use the same file to print it on paper...

You will either need to return the book to the publisher, or open the book in an editor like Sigil or Calibre, and edit the css file to remove any references to "color:___"...while there I would change any references from "indent:___in" to "indent:___em" so it's not a fixed distance indent - rather it changes with font size...but that's just my preference.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #5
Valkrider
Addict

Thanks @Turtle91 I have looked in the CSS, as I said originally, and the color is not hard coded in either of the CSS files or in the html files which is weird. I have found that the book was created in Jutoh and probably had it looks like the 'generate colour' option in Jutoh wasn't turned off BUT how this works without appearing in either the CSS or HTML I don't know. The author is checking out his Jutoh settings.
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hmmm... the only other thing you could check is selecting "Publisher's Layout" within Marvin. That would tell you if it is a book publisher issue or a Marvin issue.

Select the 'Aa' while you are in the book. Then select the 'Aa' tab. Scroll down a little bit and turn on "Publisher's Layout". If that fixes the problem then you have narrowed it down to something within Marvin's settings.

I hope that helps...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:11 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict

Thanks I did some more digging and found it in an inline style in the html and have altered it. Definitely not a Marvin problem, as I said above publisher mode made it even worse, but an author issue. I have now given him a corrected epub book.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Valkrider,

Thanks for explaining the cause of the problem. Good old Marvin isn't perfect, but it gets wrongly blamed too many times!

The author got far more than a "review" from you.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote