Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
The developer says that he has not finished unpacking after the move to work on CC (CC forum on MR). The next "update" via Play store will have to comply with Google's restrictions that mimics crap apple's ios regarding this as the rules took effect in Nov.

So, save the "latest" copy of CC for reinstall when Play store; just copying an android app somewhere will make the copy into an 'apk' format.

I am also running 8.x in my mediapad m5.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Additional info ... I have a Samsung Galaxy S7Edge running Android 8.0.0 (no custom ROM no rooting). As far as I can tell there are currently no additional copies of epubs being made when I ask CC to open a book in Bookari.
That's really good to know. I'm not sure where I got that info, but I'm glad I was incorrect. Thanks.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Surprised no one has mentioned the Amazon Fire HD 8. Bought my GF one to replace her Samsung T230 Tab A 7". While the Samsung had a decent screen, the lack of a proximity sensor was an annoyance, necessitating turning the tablet off every time, rather than just closing the cover.

The Fire has a very respectable 1280x800 resolution, great battery life, and is a relative bargain (just went off-sale here in Canada at $69.99). Being popular, there's no dearth of covers available for it too.

The downside? The Amazon ecosystem that's baked in limits you to the Amazon App Store. However, with a quick Google search, you'll see that it's quite easy to mod it to allow access to the Google Play app.

When my 7" Asus bites the dust, the first tablet I'll be looking at will be the Fire.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:52 AM   #19
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned the Amazon Fire HD 8.
They do seem like a good value at the budget end of the scale. For my part in the OP, I was thinking of regular Android tablets not those tied to Amazon's platform.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #20
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
They do seem like a good value at the budget end of the scale. For my part in the OP, I was thinking of regular Android tablets not those tied to Amazon's platform.
Unless I had a requirement for a high-end device for demanding games, etc., I'd have no problems using the Fire as a regular Android tablet. With the few software mods mentioned, it will run virtually anything the others will. The latest generation of Fire is based on Android 7.1.

FWIW, I don't use the Amazon-Android ecosystem for ebook buying, reading or management at all.

However, If I were looking at a top-tier Android tablet, I would probably, grudgingly, go with a Samsung product. But boy, they aren't cheap. Just checking Best Buy up here, and a couple of their 8" models are north of $300 CDN.

Was a big fan of Asus, but they've all but abandoned the 7"-8" market. Acer tablets, from the reviews I've read, garner mediocre reviews at best.

Good luck in your search.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #21
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
[...]

However, If I were looking at a top-tier Android tablet, I would probably, grudgingly, go with a Samsung product. But boy, they aren't cheap. [...]

Was a big fan of Asus, but they've all but abandoned the 7"-8" market. Acer tablets, from the reviews I've read, garner mediocre reviews at best.

Good luck in your search.
Agree with you on both counts. Samsung cracks me up, they just released the S5e, the new 10" one, claiming it will be more affordable and like a "value premium" tablet compared the Galaxy Tab S4, which starts around $650 US. The new one will be at least $400 US. Maybe that is a bargain for a low/premium tablet, but geez, that's a LOT of money to spend for a little device that you use mainly for entertainment, doesn't have the chops to be a work machine, and becomes obsolete at an amazingly fast rate due to to Samsung not updating the OS very often. I may get one eventually, but I'll be grinding my teeth the whole time.

Yep Asus knows how to make a great tablet. They made some of the Google Nexus 7 devices back in 2012/2013, I still have one. If mine were not having hardware issues, I'd just keep using it. That tablet STILL to this day has better specs than most Android tablets in that size range on the market, a higher screen res for example. I was also sad that it seems Asus has quit making the 8" Zenpad or refreshing that hardware.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:37 AM   #22
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
It s an old thread but hopefully it's OK to resurrect it ?

Anybody has thoughts on the 7.2 inches huawei mate 20 x ??

I thought it could be used as a small tablet or an "average size" ereader ...
(I've just ordered one used on ebay, from Germany, 299E + 17E shipping to France ... there are cheaper ones from China which might be a good choice if you just want to use it as an eareader/tablet)
(did not see a lot of comments on it on the forum although a member, groot ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3615887 ), has it)

Last edited by pierro78; 05-18-2023 at 08:40 AM.
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
It s an old thread but hopefully it's OK to resurrect it ?

Anybody has thoughts on the 7.2 inches huawei mate 20 x ??

I thought it could be used as a small tablet or an "average size" ereader ...
(I've just ordered one used on ebay, from Germany, 299E + 17E shipping to France ... there are cheaper ones from China which might be a good choice if you just want to use it as an eareader/tablet)
(did not see a lot of comments on it on the forum although a member, groot ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3615887 ), has it)
It's rubbish. Doesn't use a proper Android and it's can't use the Google Play Store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #24
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's rubbish. Doesn't use a proper Android and it's can't use the Google Play Store.
did you have it ?

the global version has the play store as it was released before the sanctions ... if you are talking about the chinese version then you might be right about this version not having the play store for the chinese market ...
Old 05-27-2023, 04:07 AM   #25
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie

Writing this from my mate 20 x EVR-L29 (global version). Android working great with Google services although it s only android 10. Gorgeous 7.2 inches screen, with a wider 18.7/9 ratio, the best non-folding phone you can find if you want to read ebooks...