Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sync pages between eReader and android app for sideloaded ebooks?

Hi!

I have a kobo aura for some time now, but i dont bring it with me outside home. So, while commuting, i continue reading my books on my android device, but when i switch devices i have to manually search the page i was at.

Is there a way to sync my reading progress between my kobo ereader and any android app with sideloaded ebooks? (sideloaded with calibre).

I have been able to find some information online, but it is a couple of years old, and this was only possible with books purchased from the kobo store. Is that still true?

Thanks!

edit: evermind, just found this thread witht he same question https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315254

Last edited by gonzule; 02-19-2019 at 08:42 PM.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I do this all the time when reading on my phone away from home and on my Nook or Kobo, or even my Kindle with a non-Amazon book. I make it a point at the end of a session to remember a very short phrase near the top of the page. Looking at my current book I'd pick "daughters came home by train". Or maybe just "came home by train". Then when I go to the other device I open that book and do a text search for that phrase.

This is just about as fast as using the sync feature from my Kindle to the Kindle app on my phone. It's a bit more work but it doesn't take any longer in most cases.

Usually I'll get just one occurance of that text in the search results. Sometimes there'll be 2 or 3 occurrences but it's rarely any problem picking the right one. The text search on all my devices gives me enough context in the results to make that easy.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, use the last four words you read on one device and search in app/other device. Works between devices and apps not part of a walled garden.
Often faster than syncing both devices, which is often deliberately used to snoop on you.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you both for your answers!
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:28 AM   #5
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
I actually happen to have the very same question!

Is there a way to do it with some plugin or with any other software (other than Kobo's default reader software) running on the Kobo ereader and the Android device?
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Kobo will synchronize only Kobo purchased books. If You want synchronization for sideloaded books the only way I know is to install KOReader on Your Kobo and on Your Android device, I don't need synchronization so I can't help You but this plugin may be useful.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Progress-sync
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
cd2013
Connoisseur

Thanks. According to the page linked, "This plugin does not send file name or any file content to the koreader sync server." So how does sync work - with a direct wifi connection between devices? Would it also sync notes and highlights?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Thanks. According to the page linked, "This plugin does not send file name or any file content to the koreader sync server." So how does sync work - with a direct wifi connection between devices? Would it also sync notes and highlights?
I believe it uses md5 hash (or some other form of check sum) so books need to be bit for bit identical. Doesn't sync notes or highlights.

I use KOReader to read epub on my Kindles and progress syncing works great.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I use koreader. I have an android tablet, h20, hd, and a mini all that sync progress.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
cd2013
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I use koreader. I have an android tablet, h20, hd, and a mini all that sync progress.
Thanks. How does the sync work? Do you connect the devices to be sycned to each other via wifi? Can you sync highlights and notes, too? Can you do a two-way sync from Calibre to Koreader, and viceversa?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Thanks. How does the sync work? Do you connect the devices to be sycned to each other via wifi? Can you sync highlights and notes, too? Can you do a two-way sync from Calibre to Koreader, and viceversa?
You connect to a server where the sync data is stored. You can either create an account and use KOReader's servers or run your own. Right now, it only stores progress information. Doesn't sync highlight or notes.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any ereader or reading app that can do bidirectional sync with Calibre.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
If Kobo had personal cloud option, even if it had a subscription, I’d be more likely to use their ereaders
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote