Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I never cease to be amazed by people carrying their pricey electronics devices in the back pockets of their pants. Then one day when their fairly fragile $300 Kindle winds up cracked they cry, "Oh waaahhhhhh, I just cannot understand how 200+ pounds of butt-force against a hard bench could break such a fragile layer of glass...." Even worse are the people who put their $800 smartphones in their back pockets, or even front pants pockets, and cry when they discover that contrary to advertising they do NOT withstand the butt-force of the equivalent of twelve elephants standing on a dime at the same time.
Jack, quit watching women's behinds. I see more smart phones sticking out of back pockets than I could ever count. Now if I am walking somewhere, I will put my phone in my front pants pocket. But never a back pocket.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And one day, you'll pull the Oasis from your pocket to find the screen shattered. Is this what you want? You are risking your Oasis. There is a much greater risk of being broken when you carry it around in a pocket. Now a back pants pocket is even more ricky. I don't think it's a matter of IF you will break your Oasis but a matter of WHEN. You WILL be putting undue stress and could end up either shattering the screen in one go or putting enough stress on the Oaiss that the screen gets enough micro-fractures to just BREAK when you least expect it.

Also, since the Oasis fits in your back pocket, your pants are too big. You NEED to get pants that are not so oversized (think clown pants).

If you MUST have a Kindle in your back pocket, try to find a refurbished Basic Kindle. Because when that breaks, you won't be out of pocket ($$) nearly as much as you will when your Oasis breaks and your Oasis WILL break.

These are certified 'Kindle-Safe' jeans and are sold right next to the Amazon Kindle.

They're available in two styles. (Sold without the model, of course.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-Safe Jeans.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	155376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-Safe pants.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	155377  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
These are certified 'Kindle-Safe' jeans and are sold right next to the Amazon Kindle.

Huh?? Sarcasm, I hope. Both of those jeans pockets show strong curvature!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Huh?? Sarcasm, I hope. Both of those jeans pockets show strong curvature!
A Kindle will NOT fit into those pockets. Therefore, these jeans are certified as "Kindle Safe."
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #35
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:

ROLF ! I think these are for the New Kindle Krack Dr. Drib.

I'm all for portability but there are limits.

Last edited by Wearever; 03-02-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #36
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
A Kindle will NOT fit into those pockets. Therefore, these jeans are certified as "Kindle Safe."
Yeah and those jeans are clearly too small, so JSWolf's assertion that if the Oasis fits in your back pocket, your pants are too big is clearly questionable!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #37
growingcow
growingcow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can we move focus away from my pockets and back to my experience with the kindle.
growingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcow View Post
Can we move focus away from my pockets and back to my experience with the kindle.
But pocket watching is more fun.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #39
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I remember I used an ereader for a few weeks without a case, then the screen got a scratch. After that, I always have a case. And $300?
Beyond the protective benefits of a case, there are other bonuses like the wake on open and the stand you get from the one on the Voyage too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #40
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I have an older thread on the Oasis I started when I got it back in December. I haven't brought the thread back lately because, well, I've been too busy reading.

The thing is great. No complaints. I use it so much more than I ever used my Kindle Keyboard (yes, it was a big upgrade for me).

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #41
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I have an older thread on the Oasis I started when I got it back in December. I haven't brought the thread back lately because, well, I've been too busy reading.

The thing is great. No complaints. I use it so much more than I ever used my Kindle Keyboard (yes, it was a big upgrade for me).

-HM
Thanks -- that's good to know. I'm still happy with my Voyage, but I keep _wanting_ an Oasis. So reviews of them are useful to me!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #42
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Thanks -- that's good to know. I'm still happy with my Voyage, but I keep _wanting_ an Oasis. So reviews of them are useful to me!
It's hard for me to say get an Oasis if you have a Voyage. It's going to be a similar experience, just in a smaller package. But for me...going to it from a Kindle Keyboard? Sheesh; what a difference!

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcow View Post
I want to know how your Oasis can fit in your back pocket of your jeans without then being rather overly large.

We've already told you that you WILL break your Oasis by keeping it in your back pocket. What more is there to say?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I want to know how your Oasis can fit in your back pocket of your jeans without then being rather overly large.

We've already told you that you WILL break your Oasis by keeping it in your back pocket. What more is there to say?

It's really just a matter of time...unfortunately.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:29 AM   #45
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... I'm still happy with my Voyage, but I keep _wanting_ an Oasis. So reviews of them are useful to me!
I went from a Voyage (which I love) to an Oasis (which I love even more). The Oasis is just so darn comfortable to hold. But it is an expensive splurge, especially if you already have a Voyage. I was kind of on the fence when I ordered the Oasis, figuring a 50-50 chance I would return it. But after reading on it for a while, I knew it was a keeper, and my poor Voyage now languishes in a drawer. So if you keep wanting an Oasis, I say give it a try. That's the only way to really know, and you can always return it if it's not everything you hoped for.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote