Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I don;t want buttons. They are too easy to accidentally press. Even easier to do so then a touch screen.

Jon.....Jon....How many times have I told you to go in for surgery!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Too Many Fingers for Jon.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	155359  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #17
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Jon.....Jon....How many times have I told you to go in for surgery!!!!!
ROLF !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
growingcow
growingcow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Been carrying the Oasis everywhere I've gone, fits very nicely into my back jean pocket. And instead of reaching for my phone when I'm waiting for something I find that I can just pull out the oasis, read a few pages and then slide it away. And it doesn't drag or weight my pants down in case anyone is wondering.

My hand size is 'medium' (according to the gloves that I wear) and i find that at times I will not hold the kindle the way they intended. There are times where I will have my fingers stretched out with the kindle resting on them instead of holding the kindle like i was griping paper/magazine.

I tried some night reading and so far it's been a mixed bag. Brightness is uniform and I see no splotches or unevenness which is nice. However, I have the brightness on at about 15 in the dark which means it's pretty bright (24 is max). It's not uncomfortable but it's bright enough that I think it bothers my significant other who's trying to sleep. Reason for brightness at 15? It is because the screen looks 'white' to me at that brightness, going lower doesn't just make it dimmer, the tone start to get cooler and it starts looking bluish. Find it to be quite distracting and at times uncomfortable to read.
growingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I hope you wear loose jeans, and don't sit down, on the Oasis in the pocket! They are pretty fragile, in regards to bending type stress. (All the kindles are, I mean.)

Just sayin.... !
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #20
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You put it in your pocket without a case? At $300?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #21
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Even with a case I wouldn't put any kindles in my pocket. Not that I could fit it in there. I don't think I could fit even a half kindle in my back pockets. I think manly pockets are much larger than girly ones. . I can barely fit my phone in it and its a 5.5 screen. But I could not do anything but stand stick straight with it. How do you bend, how to do sit, move.

I shudder at the thought of the stress on that screen.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #22
growingcow
growingcow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Before anyone freaks out, I am a guy and my the jean back pocket is actually pretty roomy. It's deep and wide enough that when the Oasis goes in nothing is poking out. The kindle isn't forced in there, it just slides in. When i do sit down i take it out first and put it on the table or into my jacket pocket.
growingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #23
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcow View Post
Before anyone freaks out, I am a guy and my the jean back pocket is actually pretty roomy. It's deep and wide enough that when the Oasis goes in nothing is poking out. The kindle isn't forced in there, it just slides in. When i do sit down i take it out first and put it on the table or into my jacket pocket.
I'm not in the "You must use a case camp" (never had one) but if you can feel the kindle in your pocket when you pay attention to it, over time you're likely at a risk of stress induce micro-fractures (with or without a case) from the slight bending that your inevitably going to have just from normal movement. Might not be something that happens for a long time, but one day you'll wake up and wonder how your screen broke sitting on your dresser overnight (it didn't, but the stress fractures finally let go into a break).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I've got a K4nontouch whose buttons are starting to wear out. If you can think of it, would you mind giving another update of what you think of the Oasis after a month or so? I'm with you on the price, but as the others have said, if it's what you do, use the best tools :-) and since I read as my hobby, I'd like to know how the oasis works for you after some real time with it, good and bad.
I'd call Amazon support. I know it's been a while, but the little joystick on my K2 split, well after the warranty and after the K3 keyboard version had come out. I called and the lady on the phone said that was a manufacturing error and Amazon would be happy to replace it with a K3 for no charge. Happily took them up on that and my wife still refuses to give that Kindle up.
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You put it in your pocket without a case? At $300?

Jon, your help is needed here. Please respond.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #26
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
My hand size is 'medium' (according to the gloves that I wear) and i find that at times I will not hold the kindle the way they intended. There are times where I will have my fingers stretched out with the kindle resting on them instead of holding the kindle like i was griping paper/magazine.
Yeah. The back has just enough adhesion and the thing is light enough that with a normal-for-a-middle-aged-person level of skin oil it will just *hang* there on the palm of your hand and spread fingers, without even needing to be gripped.

It feels weird and likely to fall at first, but in the end I got so used to it that actually having to grip books now feels strange. Why don't they hang there on their own? Why do they have to be so *heavy*?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Been carrying the Oasis everywhere I've gone, fits very nicely into my back jean pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Jon, your help is needed here. Please respond.
And one day, you'll pull the Oasis from your pocket to find the screen shattered. Is this what you want? You are risking your Oasis. There is a much greater risk of being broken when you carry it around in a pocket. Now a back pants pocket is even more ricky. I don't think it's a matter of IF you will break your Oasis but a matter of WHEN. You WILL be putting undue stress and could end up either shattering the screen in one go or putting enough stress on the Oaiss that the screen gets enough micro-fractures to just BREAK when you least expect it.

Also, since the Oasis fits in your back pocket, your pants are too big. You NEED to get pants that are not so oversized (think clown pants).

If you MUST have a Kindle in your back pocket, try to find a refurbished Basic Kindle. Because when that breaks, you won't be out of pocket ($$) nearly as much as you will when your Oasis breaks and your Oasis WILL break.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-01-2017 at 07:26 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

I never cease to be amazed by people carrying their pricey electronics devices in the back pockets of their pants. Then one day when their fairly fragile $300 Kindle winds up cracked they cry, "Oh waaahhhhhh, I just cannot understand how 200+ pounds of butt-force against a hard bench could break such a fragile layer of glass...." Even worse are the people who put their $800 smartphones in their back pockets, or even front pants pockets, and cry when they discover that contrary to advertising they do NOT withstand the butt-force of the equivalent of twelve elephants standing on a dime at the same time.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, since the Oasis fits in your back pocket, your pants are too big. You NEED to get pants that are not so oversized (think clown pants).
People may disagree on covers, but I don't see how anyone could disagree with this.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #30
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I remember I used an ereader for a few weeks without a case, then the screen got a scratch. After that, I always have a case. And $300?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote