Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #136
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yup, though they are similar enough that it's less of an issue than with older kindles. Mom hasn't even grasped how to get the "info stuff" when you touch the top of a book's page. She just mashes the corner a bunch of times until it works out right that it gets her back to HOME. She was surprised when I got "info" up there. But I don't think she'll have remembered that fact .....

She's smart, but totally non-mechanical or electronic in thinking.
I think we have the same mom. Electronic overwhelms her.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #137
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I like it enough that I'm gonna keep it. (I'm not real big on returning things, either, so that helps.) The lightness is a real plus, with my new found arthritis.

I still like my Voyage, though I haven't tried it since the Oasis arrived, so I haven't directly compared them. It's nice to have a "spare", in case something Dire happens!
Thanks that's good to know, right now I have two e ink kindles PW & Voyage so I have a spare also. I like the buttons on the Oasis, but not so sure I would like to have two separate batteries. I may still try one at some point in the future. Glad you are happy with your Oasis,
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #138
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Although I have a Boyue T63 Android e-Ink device, I was very curious about the Oasis. I read some reviews, and read some of the comments posted in this forum. Finally, I decided to buy one. It was a lightly used one on eBay, which came in very good condition.

I have attached a photo comparing the Oasis screen to the T63. Both have 300 dpi. I set the brightness of each one to 50%. The font sizes are obviously different, but you will notice how much darker the T63's screen is.

I wasn't sure if I would like the Oasis, but it is rapidly growing on me (as it has for many of you, I see). I've learned how to hold it with one hand so that my thumb can access the page turn buttons. besides that, even though my T63 is hardly heavy or large, next to the Oasis, it now looks bloated - even with the Oasis in its cover!

Too bad I can't install three or four Android apps on my Oasis. (Those would be apps like Instapaper - meant mainly for reading). That would really seal the deal! Since I have the T63 and the Oasis, I can use either, depending on which one is best for what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	156549  
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #139
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
- - - -
Too bad I can't install three or four Android apps on my Oasis. - - -
And just where did you get the idea that you can't?

Have you somewhere posted your most recent adventure in trying to get an Android application to run on the Amazon OS (and failed)?
If you kept a good record (blog?) of what you where doing, it would probably be possible to point out where things went wrong for you (and why).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #140
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And just where did you get the idea that you can't?

Have you somewhere posted your most recent adventure in trying to get an Android application to run on the Amazon OS (and failed)?
If you kept a good record (blog?) of what you where doing, it would probably be possible to point out where things went wrong for you (and why).
Oh... perhaps because I have scanned this forum, reading posts from people who are obviously far more brilliant and skilled than I am, and not one has yet said, "Eureka! I have done this!" Only, "Well, it COULD be done... maybe...."

All kidding aside, it seems that it can be done, but has anyone really done it? It might be fun to give it a whirl, though I might need something other than an Oasis to do it. And time to learn what I'd need to know to make it happen. Still, it makes for an interesting challenge. I'll keep researching!
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #141
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh... perhaps because I have scanned this forum, reading posts from people who are obviously far more brilliant and skilled than I am, and not one has yet said, "Eureka! I have done this!" Only, "Well, it COULD be done... maybe...."

All kidding aside, it seems that it can be done, but has anyone really done it? It might be fun to give it a whirl, though I might need something other than an Oasis to do it. And time to learn what I'd need to know to make it happen. Still, it makes for an interesting challenge. I'll keep researching!
Well, you are now in the wrong forum to find such information.

Go to the Kindle dev. forum, then find and read my thread on "ARMhf on Kindle".
There-in you will find that I posted a question if anyone wanted me to include in the write-up running Android applications.
And you will also find that no one spoke up, so I didn't waste my time.
But once you have read the thread, you can see how to run applications that are built against bionic rather than glibc.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #142
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, you are now in the wrong forum to find such information.

Go to the Kindle dev. forum, then find and read my thread on "ARMhf on Kindle".
There-in you will find that I posted a question if anyone wanted me to include in the write-up running Android applications.
And you will also find that no one spoke up, so I didn't waste my time.
But once you have read the thread, you can see how to run applications that are built against bionic rather than glibc.
Found it, and I've started working through it. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #143
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Found it, and I've started working through it. Thanks!
If you decide to only run applications on the Amazon OS, then not having access to a serial port on the Oasis should not be too much of an inconvenience.

Installing ssh access in both the main and the diags systems should be more than enough to maintain access even with a misbehaving application.

You should find people with time to help you in the technical (dev) forum here.
We have a large "read only" (non-member) audience, your project may bring a few of them into contributing.