Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Audible replaces AudibleManager for Windows

Got a note from Audible today.

Quote:
Our records indicate that in the past, you may have used the Audible Manager software to listen to your titles. In the upcoming weeks, the option to download titles to and listen via this software, will go away. If in the future you would like to continue side-loading titles to supported devices, you will need to download a new software called AudibleSync. Find out more about it here.

If you’d like to learn more about other ways to listen to Audible, like via our smartphone app for iOS and Android devices, streaming from your desktop or laptop computer, or from an Alexa-integrated device, we’re happy to talk to you more about these options.

If you run into any issues, just let us know. We’re here for you 24/7.
Gee, thanks Audible...

skinmaan
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Got a note from Audible today.

Gee, thanks Audible...

skinmaan
I got this, read it, read the additional info it pointed me to, and have no clue. I've never used Audible Manager for listening, but the mention of sideloading makes me wonder if there's anything that will affect me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I got this, read it, read the additional info it pointed me to, and have no clue. I've never used Audible Manager for listening, but the mention of sideloading makes me wonder if there's anything that will affect me.
If you use a Sansa Clip (a lot of MobileRead'ers do) it affects you. If you have your Audible titles in iTunes (instead of using the Audible app) this affects you. If you back up your audiobooks this affects you. I think it is devastating.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you use a Sansa Clip (a lot of MobileRead'ers do) it affects you. If you have your Audible titles in iTunes (instead of using the Audible app) this affects you. If you back up your audiobooks this affects you. I think it is devastating.
I download the audiobook, run it through aaxtomp3, then load it onto my mp3 player. So ... I think I'm OK?
Old 12-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #5
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
I download the audiobook, run it through aaxtomp3, then load it onto my mp3 player. So ... I think I'm OK?
That's the thing. They just cut off step 1. No more downloading. You're fine for the audiobooks you've already done, but how about those you have yet to buy?
Advert
Old 12-02-2020, 01:08 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So far as I can tell, you'll still be able to download via a web page. But if not, then we have more annoyance, but we still have workarounds. for one, I don't use Audible Manager or any Audible product to download my files. For another, on Windows, the files for the Windows 10 version of the Audible app are stored in: %homedrive%\%homepath%\AppData\Local\Packages\Audi bleInc.AudibleforWindowsPhone_xns73kv1ymhp2\LocalS tate\Content. They appear to be normal aax files. So not a problem.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 AM   #7
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So far as I can tell, you'll still be able to download via a web page. But if not, then we have more annoyance, but we still have workarounds. for one, I don't use Audible Manager or any Audible product to download my files. For another, on Windows, the files for the Windows 10 version of the Audible app are stored in: %homedrive%\%homepath%\AppData\Local\Packages\Audi bleInc.AudibleforWindowsPhone_xns73kv1ymhp2\LocalS tate\Content. They appear to be normal aax files. So not a problem.
Reading Audible's message I too was alarmed. It looks very much like a way to stop users downloading their content. And being forced to use one of 3 mp3 players also points to some method of protecting the mp3's. So I thought I'll try it out. But I can't even log in. Every time I enter my mail and password I return to the sign in screen.
Great going Audible.

Anyway, if, as you say, aax files are still stored on PC, then there probably is no problem. But if not, then this is a dealbreaker.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:44 AM   #8
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
O, great. Trying to contact Audible about the sign in problem, the 3 options (chat, phone, mail) are all greyed out. I don't think Ill be returning to Audible any time soon.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
skinmaan
Wizard

Aha! Here are the problems. First, if you still use Windows 7 or XP you're DOA (from the FAQ):

Quote:
The AudibleSync app is a Windows 10 app for your computer that allows for quick and easy downloading of your titles. You can use this app to transfer your titles to a supported MP3 player.
Also, it looks like the purpose of this is to make sure the file is not downloaded to your computer. The audiobook goes straight from the website to your player via the app. This will likely mean that the file will not play on your PC if you copy it from your player to your computer. I think that means most of the jailbreak programs will no longer work since the rights authorization does not exist on your PC. The Audible Download Manager places the rights on your PC when it downloads currently.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Oh, shoot. Glad I saw this before now. I like having the files backed up in case something odd happens to account or computer. I haven't converted any or figured it out, but will work on that this week with figuring it out. I use the Audible app to listen, but have spent a considerable amount of money (for me) on the audiobooks purchased, so do not feel comfortable not having downloaded copies.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 12-03-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
I *believe* the current system of downloading using the Audible process/app that they are removing. The new system will perhaps send to devices directly once you download - not sure if you can still download onto computer directly to convert or back up. I could be wrong, though, but it is worrisome just in case.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Aha! Here are the problems. First, if you still use Windows 7 or XP you're DOA (from the FAQ):

Also, it looks like the purpose of this is to make sure the file is not downloaded to your computer. The audiobook goes straight from the website to your player via the app. This will likely mean that the file will not play on your PC if you copy it from your player to your computer. I think that means most of the jailbreak programs will no longer work since the rights authorization does not exist on your PC. The Audible Download Manager places the rights on your PC when it downloads currently.
My desktop PC, which I use to download, is running Windows 7. Fun.

Are you sure that it's the Audible Manager that authorizes the rights? I have often had a problem with titles taking an excessively long time to be added to the Audible Manager after downloading, such that I give up. Or I will get a popup telling me that a title hasn't been added to Audible Manager and I should add it myself. I have converted these fully downloaded titles without any problem.

I wish there was a way to know in advance exactly what the heck they're doing. I am still sitting on two gift cards from last year that give me six credits, plus several credits from my Silver membership. If Audible is going to be screwed up, I'll use up all the credits and say adios.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
My desktop PC, which I use to download, is running Windows 7. Fun.

Are you sure that it's the Audible Manager that authorizes the rights? I have often had a problem with titles taking an excessively long time to be added to the Audible Manager after downloading, such that I give up. Or I will get a popup telling me that a title hasn't been added to Audible Manager and I should add it myself. I have converted these fully downloaded titles without any problem.

I wish there was a way to know in advance exactly what the heck they're doing. I am still sitting on two gift cards from last year that give me six credits, plus several credits from my Silver membership. If Audible is going to be screwed up, I'll use up all the credits and say adios.
It's actually Download Manager that copies the DRM access to your computer. This usually happens during the step that say "adding to Windows Media Player" I believe.

While it is probably not that helpful at this point the Download Manager will fail to add your titles to the Audible Manager if the Audible Manager is already open. Close the Audible Manager after each download and this will not happen. Or, alternatively, let it happen, then re-name the file to something that doesn't contain 72,000 extraneous characters, and then add manually. I do this for the best results.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I downloaded that thing last night to try and get the few books I hadn't backed up. Unfortunately it does not appear to work correctly in Windows 7. I was able to run it once and download a book, but could not open it, play it or even find it. My audiobooks that I bought previously from Audible are in iTunes and get played on my (maybe) two versions back iPod, which I am not about to replace anytime soon. Just updated the Audiosync software and it says it's downloading another book but no idea where to find it or even open it. This sucks!
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #15
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
I downloaded that thing last night to try and get the few books I hadn't backed up. Unfortunately it does not appear to work correctly in Windows 7. I was able to run it once and download a book, but could not open it, play it or even find it. My audiobooks that I bought previously from Audible are in iTunes and get played on my (maybe) two versions back iPod, which I am not about to replace anytime soon. Just updated the Audiosync software and it says it's downloading another book but no idea where to find it or even open it. This sucks!
Congratulations on giving yourself a headache by repeatedly running into the perimeter of Audible's "walled garden." Down with DRM!