Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
KU/Whispersync Question

I signed up for two free months of KU the other day, mainly to pick up some $1.99 Whispersync deals. Several of the KU titles I want are "read and listen for free"; when I borrow them with KU, the accompanying audiobooks show up in my Audible library. But I don't want to listen for free; I want to buy them for $1.99 because that small price is worth it to me to be able to listen on my mp3 player.

Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be an option to buy the audiobook once a "read and listen" e-book is borrowed. AM I missing something? I should think Amazon/Audible would be happy to take my money, but ... ?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I signed up for two free months of KU the other day, mainly to pick up some $1.99 Whispersync deals. Several of the KU titles I want are "read and listen for free"; when I borrow them with KU, the accompanying audiobooks show up in my Audible library. But I don't want to listen for free; I want to buy them for $1.99 because that small price is worth it to me to be able to listen on my mp3 player.

Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be an option to buy the audiobook once a "read and listen" e-book is borrowed. AM I missing something? I should think Amazon/Audible would be happy to take my money, but ... ?
From what I’ve read, you’re not missing anything. That’s the way it works.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
From what I’ve read, you’re not missing anything. That’s the way it works.
But it's crazy. Why should they want to prevent a purchase?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I found a workaround. Apparently I can send the audiobook as a gift to myself at the Whispersync price.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I found a workaround. Apparently I can send the audiobook as a gift to myself at the Whispersync price.
That’s an interesting wrinkle! One KU account could serve a lot of F&F totally legitimately. How very bizarre of Amazon.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
But it's crazy. Why should they want to prevent a purchase?
Perhaps because they want to push toward a higher subscription fee where they have tighter control over the content rather than a lower price where they have less control.

Quote:
That's cool. I will have to try that if I find myself in that position.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That’s an interesting wrinkle! One KU account could serve a lot of F&F totally legitimately. How very bizarre of Amazon.
Yes, surprised they haven't caught on to that yet, maybe many haven't figured it out or use it that way so Amazon has not worried about it.

Have to ask, what is F&F??
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Friends & Family
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Friends & Family
Thank you
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote