Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #31
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
I think this PW hits some areas I really like:

1. Waterproof (even though i don't read in the tub, but nice to have if I get rained on)
2. the size (Oasis form factor never did it for me; I like sticking my current voyage in my pocket and reading whenever and wherever, and i think it would be the same with this PW)

On the other hand, I think the kindle app on my phone to follow audio and read simultaneously is the best way for me to enjoy audio integration. So I leave audio integration and books with color illustrations to be enjoyed on devices that support that.

I will definitely not jump and rush to order a new PW to replace my voyage or kindle keyboard, as I have seen too many issues plague the first production runs for kindles; but this will definitely be a nice replacement to consider in the future, and am happy that they kept the price extremely fair for what it is, as opposed to the Oasis.

I look forward to reading the reviews on the PW.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #32
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
The comments of the pw4 on the verge states that the screen is a "seamless sheet of glass." But everyone else says plastic, and I suspect plastic is correct.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...r-oasis-voyage

Last edited by kaibob; 10-16-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Changed the word review to comments
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibob View Post
The review of the pw4 on the verge states that the screen is a "seamless sheet of glass." But everyone else says plastic, and I suspect plastic is correct.

I don't think that was an actual review. Seems more like just comments based on the specifications and press release.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #34
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
The comments of the pw4 on the verge states that the screen is a "seamless sheet of glass." But everyone else says plastic, and I suspect plastic is correct.

Yes, a review I just read says plastic.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #35
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I get the "options are good" argument. Fine. I just disagree from a design standpoint that a book-reading device should have a setting to "fix" the display color. How about we just get that color right to begin with? (The creamy/warmer white that most seem to agree is the most pleasant.)

The device is supposed to disappear. The story is all there is, not a whole bunch of settings to fiddle with.

What a disaster from a marketing standpoint would that be, to have photos out in the wild of orange-ish displays on a device named Paperwhite.
Well, do you also object to it having a light, with brightness you can change to suit your eyes and reading environment? You can get the basic if you don't want more things to fiddle with.

Right now, the light has a fixed temperature which may be too cool for some people at all time and/or many people at night. You don't need to buy into the whole blue light and sleep think, which may just be bunk, but I bet your home at night isn't lit with bright fluorescent lighting like your office, but with warmer yellow light. Just nicer and more soothing, especially at night.

The best implementation of this I've seen is with f.lux on a jail broken iPad. It slowly makes the screen warmer as it gets darker and you don't really notice it unless you turn it off and realize how blue the screen is without it. It doesn't turn the screen some weird color.

I think Amazon is capable of implementing a variable light temp feature without making it an ugly orange at the extreme. There's the cost issue, so they'll probably introduce it with the premium model, but I'm pretty sure they'll do it and the feature will trickle down eventually.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
The paper book years must have been rough for those folks who aren't satisfied with black text and papery white backgrounds. I'm sure Amazon is glad to let those people find another device. The Paperwhite is getting really close to successfully mimicking the warm, natural world of print; the people who want unnatural orange screens can go someplace else.
I'm pretty sure Amazon wants all the customers they can get. But this is fine. It gives Kobo (and others) a feature advantage over Amazon's Kindle. Win-win for them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #37
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Yes, a review I just read says plastic.
From the review/comment article:

"Nearly every aspect of the new Paperwhite is better: the screen is now flush with the front in a seamless sheet of glass — just like the now-defunct Voyage offered — there are more LEDs for the illuminated display, and storage has been doubled on the base model to 8GB, with another model offering 32GB of storage."
Old 10-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #38
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I think your arguments about books being black on white and that’s what the PW is going for are really naive.
Get out your blackest on whitest book and compare it to your Paperwhite under artificial lighting conditions at night in your house. If you did not go for ultra daylight when picking out your light bulbs, you will immediately notice that your book‘s page „naturally“ blends in with the environmental light while your Paperwhite’s lighting has a rather harsh blueish tone to it. Offsetting this difference is what all the yellow light solutions are about, making your „paperwhite“ act light actual paper. Don’t let the picture of yellow light cranked all the way up fool you.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #39
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From the review/comment article:

"Nearly every aspect of the new Paperwhite is better: the screen is now flush with the front in a seamless sheet of glass — just like the now-defunct Voyage offered — there are more LEDs for the illuminated display, and storage has been doubled on the base model to 8GB, with another model offering 32GB of storage."
I guess I misread, thanks for the correction
Old 10-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #40
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I ordered one. It's not exactly what I wanted but it's close. I like the screens on my current Paperwhites and they're plastic. The extra LED will be nice and it's a regular light.
I'm happy with no colored lights and no buttons. USB c with rapid charge would have been nice. I won't get my Paperwhite until January. I live in Mexico and my sister will bring it to me in January along with my new phone.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #41
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Nice, it looks like existing Kindle Unlimited Customers will still be able to get six months free of Unlimited. I was thinking this was a perk for new customers to the program, but apparently not. I subscribe, so that's 60.00 savings right there.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #42
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I am very intrigued by the 5 LEDs versus 4 LEDs for the previous Paperwhites and 6 LEDs for the Voyage. Plus they've moved the LEDs to the top on the new PW while the previous PW and Voy had them at the bottom. Any guesses on whether this will be an improvement as far as eliminating color blotches and uneven lighting?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #43
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I haven't had a problem with color splotches or uneven lighting when I'm reading on my Paperwhites.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I may get one in hopes of enticing my daughter to trade me so I can have my Kobo Glo HD back. (I think that's the model, it's 6" and not the Clara) I would feel better if hers was waterproof (and also I want my Kobo back).

updated to correct Kobo model. I am falling behind on my device info!

Last edited by booklover6; 10-17-2018 at 08:45 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #45
kaibob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I am very intrigued by the 5 LEDs versus 4 LEDs for the previous Paperwhites and 6 LEDs for the Voyage. Plus they've moved the LEDs to the top on the new PW while the previous PW and Voy had them at the bottom. Any guesses on whether this will be an improvement as far as eliminating color blotches and uneven lighting?
I don't know if the lighting will be more even, but I wonder if the LED location at the top of the screen will make any uneven lighting more noticeable. My pw3 does have light cones at the bottom but they've never bothered me.