Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing if they had the authority to alter the databases, they probably weren't bottom of the line employees.
This is an important distinction, I think. Things could be different in China, but I can't imagine a) temp workers being paid a "pittance" having this level of access, or b) a chat-type website connecting sellers with those high turnover pittance employees even if they did.

So in my mind, this is just typical corruption -- plain and simple. The poor-indentured-slaves-being-forced-to-accept-bribes-to-put-bread-on-the-table angle doesn't really hold water in my opinion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2018 at 07:00 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Or, you know, pay them a living wage and improve their horrendous working conditions so they aren't as susceptible to bribes.
Do you really think anyone with the power to delete content on Amazon.com is working in those scary distribution centers?

EDIT: Oops, others making the same point. Should have read the whole thread.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #18
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This is an important distinction, I think. Things could be different in China, but I can't imagine a) temp workers being paid a "pittance" having this level of access, or b) a chat-type website connecting sellers with those high turnover pittance employees even if they did.

So in my mind, this is just typical corruption -- plain and simple. The poor-indentured-slaves-being-forced-to-accept-bribes-to-put-bread-on-the-table angle doesn't really hold water in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Do you really think anyone with the power to delete content on Amazon.com is working in those scary distribution centers?

EDIT: Oops, others making the same point. Should have read the whole thread.
I think that the bots who write the trumped up reviews would have the power to delete if they made a mistake, so it is actually possible that it is low-wage workers. Even if it's not, Amazon's corporate culture at all levels is absolutely nightmarish. From a Marketplace report:

Quote:
“Team members are ranked against each other," she says. "It’s a very competitive atmosphere,” and this can create an uncomfortable working environment because “at Amazon, it’s particularly direct. Because, for example, you can send secret negative feedback about your peers to your peers’ bosses. The bosses see who it’s from but other workers don’t necessarily see it.”

One of Kantor’s more surprising findings was about Amazon’s evaluation system. “The evaluations system is fairly relentless … we found a real pattern of people who had life crises when they were at Amazon; they had cancer, their parents died, they had really bad pregnancy loss. And that they said is that the company did not give them time to recover, and they felt the company was so relentless that they couldn’t pause and get back on their feet,” she explains.
I have no problems believing that a higher paid employee who had been bitten badly in one way or another would be willing to be a little fast and loose with his account access if it meant stealing a buck from the man.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #19
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Most of the people with the power to access to Amazon's databases probably don't even work for Amazon. They do their deeds from internet cafes in Russia, China, Romania...
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even if it's not, Amazon's corporate culture at all levels is absolutely nightmarish.
Sorry. We're clearly not going to see eye to eye on this. None of what you've quoted (nor any of the other tales I've heard about Amazon's corporate practices, or the conditions in their various US warehouses) comes even close to what I would consider "nightmarish." Even if they're 100% accurate. They just sound like every place I've ever worked (blue and white collar) all of my life.
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #21
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
If they are doing something criminal, they should be prosecuted and they likely should lose their jobs.
Amazon probably has to fire the bribe-takers, and they should decline to do further business with bribe-payers.

Whether the miscreants should be turned in depends on factors like how big the bribes were, whether there was some organized conspiracy, and the fairness of the local justice system.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry. We're clearly not going to see eye to eye on this.
That's fair. I come at it from having done HR lawsuits. But saying that, I'm sure that I'd never be able to change many minds on their perception of lawyers either
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's fair. I come at it from having done HR lawsuits. But saying that, I'm sure that I'd never be able to change many minds on their perception of lawyers either
Now that's funny.

I'm sure there's plenty we could find to agree on in other areas. No need to go to war over this one.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #24
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
best buy does it. there was a lot of bad battery reviews on the oasis then one day poof they were all gone.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
best buy does it. there was a lot of bad battery reviews on the oasis then one day poof they were all gone.
That doesn't mean bribery. It could be like an TV advertisement where they interview actual customers and pick out the most impressively positive comments.

I realize it feels different because of the technique of allowing a certain number of negative reviews in order to give the positive ones more plausibility. But how different is it than saying 4 out of 5 dentists recommend XYZ, and, thus, 1 out of 5 do not?

If a vendor did delete most bad reviews as a corporate policy, it would be only borderline bad IMHO. What's totally bad is the amazon.cn policy of not selling mainstream non-fiction books that are even mildly critical of the government. I just did a search there on author Jung Chang and confirmed they are still censoring (self-censoring?) their China web site book selection.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #26
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
An interesting metric to measure the fairness of a wage is "payslope" --- the multiple of the lowest paid employee to the highest paid employee --- this keeps increasing, to the detriment of society.

Excellent article on it here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle15472738/
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
An interesting metric to measure the fairness of a wage is "payslope" --- the multiple of the lowest paid employee to the highest paid employee --- this keeps increasing, to the detriment of society.

Excellent article on it here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle15472738/
Unfortunately there are very few companies like Lee Valley Tools. The norm now, especially in the United States, is for corporations to lay off hundreds/thousands of workers ("to cut costs") and then pay the CEO a bonus big enough to have kept the workers hired for the year.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #28
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
it seems to me that this argument continues because everyone (or most everyone) is saying that only one thing could be the reason behind the dishonest act. as some have pointed out, some do it because they do not get paid well enough, and some who are very well paid also act dishonestly. but everyone who acts dishonestly is likely to have more than one reason and/or personal characteristics that contribute. everyone's purpose and reason(s) are different. to try to distill down to a single reason is pointless.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I realize it feels different because of the technique of allowing a certain number of negative reviews in order to give the positive ones more plausibility. But how different is it than saying 4 out of 5 dentists recommend XYZ, and, thus, 1 out of 5 do not?
From one book I once read on the advertising industry, it was unbelievable the number of dentists they interviewed to find 8 that would recommend the product being advertised. Once you have them, keep those 8 names on file along with 2 of the others and you are able to face the truth in advertising police with no qualms.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #30
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
Quote:
Or, you know, pay them a living wage and improve their horrendous working conditions so they aren't as susceptible to bribes.
Money has nothing to do with it. Everyone has their price, even rich people are susceptible to bribes. Its more how you are raised.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote