Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Quadzilla
Quadzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes and Noble color nook
nook frozen even after battery removal

Hello Everyone,
I'm selling my nook and so went to un-register it by using the un-register option under settings and then chose the option to reset the nook to factory defaults. However, when the nook rebooted after sitting to factory defaults, it froze on the welcome screen that reads" your nook and starting up". I tried pressing and holding the power button several times to turn it off but this did not work. I was told by tech support to remove the battery, plug my nook into a wall socket and then hold the power button for 10 seconds to get the nook out of its frozen state. However, after trying this several times my nook is still frozen in the same place.

I called B&N technical support again and was told by the tech to remove the power cord, install the battery and then to press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, release it for 4 seconds and press it again for another 20 seconds repeating this procedure six times total. I was told this procedure was "rolling it back" to factory settings and that I should get a message saying "installing the software" and then the nook should boot up normally. Again, I tried this whole procedure several times but my nook is STILL frozen.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this? Also, the screen displayed the same information even with the battery removed and no power cord, how is this possible with no power source or is there another battery inside the nook?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm selling my nook and so went to un-register it by using the un-register option under settings and then chose the option to reset the nook to factory defaults. However, when the nook rebooted after sitting to factory defaults, it froze on the welcome screen that reads" your nook and starting up". I tried pressing and holding the power button several times to turn it off but this did not work. I was told by tech support to remove the battery, plug my nook into a wall socket and then hold the power button for 10 seconds to get the nook out of its frozen state. However, after trying this several times my nook is still frozen in the same place.

I called B&N technical support again and was told by the tech to remove the power cord, install the battery and then to press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, release it for 4 seconds and press it again for another 20 seconds repeating this procedure six times total. I was told this procedure was "rolling it back" to factory settings and that I should get a message saying "installing the software" and then the nook should boot up normally. Again, I tried this whole procedure several times but my nook is STILL frozen.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this? Also, the screen displayed the same information even with the battery removed and no power cord, how is this possible with no power source or is there another battery inside the nook?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
Eink does not require power to maintain the state, so whatever is displayed when you pull the battery remains there.

Maybe you are not following the reset procedure correctly, try this:

(1) boot device
(2) as soon as you see the boot animation (the > symbol flashing), press and hold the power button until the device shuts down (the > freezes)

Repeat until you get a "Installing software" on the LCD, should happen after 6 or 8 cycles (can't remember exactly).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Eink does not require power to maintain the state, so whatever is displayed when you pull the battery remains there.
From the info under his name, it seems that he has a Color Nook.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
From the info under his name, it seems that he has a Color Nook.
Right. But "the screen displayed the same information even with the battery removed and no power cord" sounds like e-ink.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Quadzilla
Quadzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes and Noble color nook
Hello,
Thanks again for the info. Unfortunately, the nook (it's a nook classic, I upgraded to a nook color) is still frozen even after trying the reset procedure several times. FYI, when the nook froze upon rebooting after performing the reset to factory defaults procedure, even the blinking > was frozen, there was only one symbol and it wasn't blinking. It was then I removed the battery and plugged in the power cord per B &N tech support. I tried this several times with no luck so Barnes & Noble is sending a refurbished replacement.

The refurb had better be in as good condition as the one it's replacing as I've already had a buyer for that nook on eBay! At least Barnes & Noble is sending the replacement right away, they're also shipping a postage paid box for me to return the old nook in and will only charge my credit card if I don't return the old unit, wish more retailers handled returns this way!
Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
When I had a similar problem, it was because my batter was drained. I was reading with almost a full charge at lunch, and when I went home, it was frozen. I took the battery out, plugged it into a wall socket, put the battery back in and left it alone for about 4 hours. By the time I went to bed, everything was working fine. I don't know why or how, but it worked.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
pepoxone
pepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animalspepoxone is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
When I had a similar problem, it was because my batter was drained. I was reading with almost a full charge at lunch, and when I went home, it was frozen. I took the battery out, plugged it into a wall socket, put the battery back in and left it alone for about 4 hours. By the time I went to bed, everything was working fine. I don't know why or how, but it worked.
After 7 years of your post, it still helps!!!! Thanks a lot, I was disperate. I did
" I took the battery out, plugged it into a wall socket, put the battery back in and left it alone for about 4 hours. By the time I went to bed, everything was working fine."

THANKS A LOT FROM CATALONIA!!!
pepoxone is offline   Reply With Quote