Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
titi
titi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy Kobo Aura HD doesn't turn on

Hello all,

I bought a Kobo Aura HD from a friend, 6 months ago.
It worked until recently : one day, impossible to turn on the device (it stayed on the "charge your ereader" screen). No led, no signs of life !
I tried hard reset... no response.

First I thought it was the battery, then I purshased a new one.
The Kobo has worked some days, and the touch screen has stopped working ! the Kobo worked, because I could turn on the light and I could see the animations on the screen. Finaly, some days after, the screen returned to the "charge your ereader" screen. When I try to turn on, the led is on during 12 seconds, then it turn off.

Since that, I have tried to charge the battery (I have opened the ereader and I have tested, it seems to be charged -4,09V), I have tried to do a hard reset (by reset button and by the light button/power button), nothing new

I read a lot on this forum about different problems that the Kobo may have, generaly, a hard reset is the utlimate solution. But it doesn't work in this case.

Maybe it can be the SD card? Unfortunatly, I formatted it without knowing what was on it, before informing me ... beginner error! but before that, the ereader didn't work either.

Do you have some ideas ?
Thank you !

(I'm so sory if I use bad sentences or words, my english is not very good )
titi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Sounds like you formatted the entire sd card (I assume you mean the internal card was what you formatted)...you need the Kobo image for your device to put back on the sd card. There is a specific thread where you can request this.

I think this is the correct thread for your device:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...obo+aura+image

Sorry @davidfor if I pointed to the wrong thread....
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@titi: The power LED flashing like that can be a sign that it can't boot. A failing or otherwise corrupt SD card could cause that. As you have formatted the card, I have sent a PM with the link to the image.

The other alternative is that the screen is broken. Usually you can see defects. But, if it on the black "charge your ereader" screen, they will probably be hard to see. Try restoring the image to a new card and seeing what happens.

@Uschiekid: That's the right thread for a request. And my usual complaint is when people start a new thread just asking for the image. A post like this one explaining what is wrong, what has been tried and asking for help is always welcome.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
titi

Thank you @Uschiekid and @Davidfor for your advices, I just saw the PM for the image.
Indeed, I talk about the internal SD card.
I will test that, and tell you if it works thank you

Last edited by titi; 10-19-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
@davidfor Glad I got the right thread, as it was a very quick search.

I was purely going on the memory of reading threads where people resurrect a thread, and then post after post after post you direct them to the correct thread, which none of them bother to read before posting in it. I didn't want to cause ire/annoyance by directing them to such a thread. But on the other hand, I was too lazy to review more than a few posts looking for that kind of re-direct. :-D

@titi, hope it works!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
titi

Wonderful ! It works !!! I can't stop crying... it's a miracle
Images I have tested until now, have never worked !
I don't want to ask too much but... do you have an image... in french? it will be perfect ! Otherwise it will be very good like this.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titi View Post
Wonderful ! It works !!! I can't stop crying... it's a miracle
Images I have tested until now, have never worked !
Good to hear.
Quote:
I don't want to ask too much but... do you have an image... in french? it will be perfect ! Otherwise it will be very good like this.
Kobo uses the same firmware worldwide. You set the language during the setup or from the Settings on the "Languages and dictionaries" page.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
titi

I just monted my Kobo. The touch screen still doesn't work.
I don't see any obstacles to the IR sensors and it seems well connected.

Any idea? :'(
Old 10-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
titi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Good to hear.

Kobo uses the same firmware worldwide. You set the language during the setup or from the Settings on the "Languages and dictionaries" page.
Ho yes thanks !!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titi View Post
I just monted my Kobo. The touch screen still doesn't work.
I don't see any obstacles to the IR sensors and it seems well connected.

Any idea? :'(
Only that the screen has to be sitting in the bezel correctly. If it doesn't, then the sensors don't line up. It isn't an uncommon problem after reassembly.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
titi

Smile

Hi everyone,
After many attempts, it finally worked.
The pins of the box were damaged, and it didn't close properly in the left upper side of the screen.
But a point of glue, and it's ok !
Thank you very much for your help, I have a fonctionnal ereader now !!
Fortunately, Kobo use SD cards to store the firmware...