Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
KarenMarie
KarenMarie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can't get Calibre to Work Anymore

I am on the phone with Microsoft who is trying to tell me Calibre needs to "register some scrips" or "issue 2 or 3 commands" so I can run my calibre on Win7. My calibre was working just fine earlier today, until MS "fixed" something else in my computer (see brief synopsis below). Now, everytime I try to open Caliber, I get this error message:

"Python function terminated unexpectedly
NUL file missing in windows. This indicates a corrupted windows. You should contact Microsoft for assistance. (Error Code: 1)"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre 4 times now, each time with the same result. Any ideas what I can do?

The original problem today was that Silverlight auto-update from MS had never been able to install on my computer (for about a year it has been trying and failing). I have ignored it. I didn't know there was a problem until today I found that my Windows Installer Services was MISSING. When I googled about it, I learned it was related to the updater. I called the update help line and was helped. A woman manually installed the Windows Installer Services.

She then uninstalled all instances of Silverlight from my computer and then, installed it again, successfully. At this point, the update that had been failing went through just fine. BUT, Calibre now will not work and gives me the error message posted above.

Is it Calibre? or what can I do?
KarenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166163
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
KarenMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Peter,
I genuinely appreciate your note. Thanks for that link, but I don't know if that can help me. I did see it earlier, before posting my problem.

First, my error is referring to the absence of a NUL (not null) file. I am having trouble discerning why there is a variation in spelling, and the use of all caps, if NUL and null are the same thing. Are you saying they are?

I thought I would try it anyway, but this brings up the second issue. Step#2 says to download the null.reg file. When I double click it, it opens it up, but doesn't give me the option to download it. The instructions say, "say yes" but there isn't a means of doing so.

I apologize if I am missing something really obvious. I have googled for a while but don't seem to be finding a lot of info. Any other ideas about this error message?

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMarie View Post
Peter,
I genuinely appreciate your note. Thanks for that link, but I don't know if that can help me. I did see it earlier, before posting my problem.

First, my error is referring to the absence of a NUL (not null) file. I am having trouble discerning why there is a variation in spelling, and the use of all caps, if NUL and null are the same thing. Are you saying they are?

I thought I would try it anyway, but this brings up the second issue. Step#2 says to download the null.reg file. When I double click it, it opens it up, but doesn't give me the option to download it. The instructions say, "say yes" but there isn't a means of doing so.

I apologize if I am missing something really obvious. I have googled for a while but don't seem to be finding a lot of info. Any other ideas about this error message?

Thanks again!
A reg file is a set of Registry entries (changes)
double clicking should query you 'Do you want to make Registry changes?' (
You need to have Admin privileges AND elevate your privilege when UAC asks for permission to make system changes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
KarenMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You need to have Admin privileges AND elevate your privilege when UAC asks for permission to make system changes.
Thank you, theducks for attempting to help me figure it out.

The thread PeterT referred me to offered a link which would fix the null.reg. First, is NUL and null the same thing? or are they different? If they are the same thing, why are they referred to differently? If they are not the same, I don't think this thread can help me, so I am hopeful they are the same. Are they?

At PeterT's link, step #2 says to double click the null.reg file and say "yes" when prompted. However, there is no prompt. When I click it, a page opens with the registry changes (also shown at the bottom of the page), but no means of downloading them.

Thank you!
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
KarenMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
One other thing I forgot to add...the original poster at the thread PeterT referred me to never reported back, so I don't know if that solution solved their problem either. That would really have been helpful to know.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You can right click it and save file as. Have you tried repairing Windows? (Usually an F8 boot option).
Also when you reinstalled calibre did you delete the configuration directory?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMarie View Post
One other thing I forgot to add...the original poster at the thread PeterT referred me to never reported back, so I don't know if that solution solved their problem either. That would really have been helpful to know.
As I said: You must be in the 'Administrator' group of the PC. or you can't process a reg file.

Forget Case. Device names are always refereed to in Upper Case. like LPT1: . NUL: is a (null) device

Try this:
Type this: Windows Key + R (Run box should appear)

in that type: regedit

Be very careful not to do any wrong moves
On the Menu
File: Import: Select that Reg file Open: (this is where it should confirm you want to add)

NOTE:
You can (and Should) view any REG file with notepad.exe (Open with Notpad) and read what it says.

I don't have a NUL device in my registry (and Calibre works) so I picke another common device as an example.

Here is a Sample (it is for a LPT1: port that is no longer on most Laptops and some desktops) You con open it with Notepad and see this one is rather simple (I don't recommend you install it).

The first line declares it a Regedit of at least level x
the second line sets the 'Key'
The third line sets the Value part of the key

Regedit files can't contain a Virus (they are only Text) ,
But they CAN cause a Linkage to a Virus file if the proper Keys are used.

Know your reg file sources, and even peek at it with Notepad, looking for something strange about any file paths to EXE or DLL files (Yes, I have pulled the teeth of some bad stuff that got into a Registry. It was NOT fun: They killed Regedit, just to make fixing difficult.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt sample.reg.txt (286 Bytes, 246 views)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, nul file missing, windows 7