Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
AndyW1691
AndyW1691 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Mac OSX
Question Date format

I am using the excellent plugin from pchrist7 to show the read status in a custom column. However, being English we like to see the date displayed as dd/mm/yy rather than the american mm/dd/yy. Is there anyway to change this?

Andy
AndyW1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Tweaks
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW1691 View Post
I am using the excellent plugin from pchrist7 to show the read status in a custom column. However, being English we like to see the date displayed as dd/mm/yy rather than the american mm/dd/yy. Is there anyway to change this?
Normally dates are shown using the current locale. Is yours English (UK)?

Regardless of "normally", as the date is being displayed in a custom column, and assuming that it is a date column and not a text column, change the display format for that column. Preferences -> Add your own columns. Click on the date column line, then click the I icon to edit the column definition. Change the format to what you want. You can see a complete list of format codes in Preferences -> Tweaks -> "Control how dates are displayed".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
AndyW1691

It's a custom text column

Hi Charley!

Where do I set the locale? I'm sure I have looked at every available option but did not see it.

The column type is a column built from other columns. The Sort/search column flag is set to text. When working, the Read Status column contains the text "Not Read", "Reading: x% or the date reading was completed. This is currently displayed as mm/dd/yy.

Following the terse suggestion to look at Preferences->Tweaks, I had a look at the 'Control how dates are displayed' option. As the column contains the text I didn't think this would work but thought it worth a try. The lookup name for the custom column is read_status. I played around with various combinations including gui_read_status_display_format in the edit tweak screen but nothing seemed to work.

Anymore suggestions anyone?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW1691 View Post
Hi Charley!
chaley, not charley.
Quote:
Where do I set the locale? I'm sure I have looked at every available option but did not see it.
The locale is set in your OS, not in calibre. For example, in windows it is set in Control Panel -> Region and Language
Quote:
The column type is a column built from other columns. The Sort/search column flag is set to text. When working, the Read Status column contains the text "Not Read", "Reading: x% or the date reading was completed. This is currently displayed as mm/dd/yy.
I think you are using pchrist7's custom template function, not a plugin. That function copies the date in the format the kindle uses. Does your kindle display in M/D/Y or D/M/Y? If it is M/D/Y, can you change it?

In any event, pchrist7's template function returns a text value, not a date. Even more interesting, the text sometimes contains a date and sometimes does not. Because of this, the formatting must done inside the function. If you want to change the format, you will need to change the function.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
AndyW1691

Apologies!

Hello chaley! (I do hope I got that right this time )

I am using a Mac with OSX 10.6.8 and the local is UK. However, I don't think this is the cause of the problem.

You are correct in that I am using pchrist7's custom template function and looking at it I also agree that the formatting needs to be done inside of the function. I think I might have to do a bit of research here as I have never played with python before.

Thank you for your wisdom!

Tags
date format