Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #1261
paulvro
paulvro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Nope, you can safely use the same account.

Good luck
thanks, I will.

All seems to have worked out OK. Indeed I now have the 4.4.9349 software installed on the Reader. I don't see any error message on Calibre anymore (I don't remember what I did before that caused it to appear but the fact that it doesn't gives me enough hope that the problem is licked after all!

Thanks everyone who helped, I hoped that this is the final thing that needed resolving... :-)

Last edited by paulvro; 05-27-2017 at 03:18 PM.
paulvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #1262
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvro View Post
thanks, I will.

All seems to have worked out OK. Indeed I now have the 4.4.9349 software installed on the Reader. I don't see any error message on Calibre anymore (I don't remember what I did before that caused it to appear but the fact that it doesn't gives me enough hope that the problem is licked after all!

Thanks everyone who helped, I hoped that this is the final thing that needed resolving... :-)

moral of story, when e-reader is working to your complete satisfaction turn WiFi OFF.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #1263
paulvro

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
moral of story, when e-reader is working to your complete satisfaction turn WiFi OFF.

best wishes koboy
Great idea - stupid that I didn't think of that myself! Thanks!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #1264
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Though generally speaking you won't see such big changes. You happened into a perfect storm where you were new to Kobo, had issues with you device, and there was a major change to the homescreen all at roughly the same time.

To put it in some perspective I've not seen such a big User Interface change on my Kobo's in the last few years. Usually it's more subtle changes to how things work and tweaks to under the hood settings.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #1265
paulvro

Thank you MGlitch, that's reassuring to know. But thanks to the patience of you guys with me just helping me out where you could I guess I survived :-) Thanks once more to all!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #1266
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo screen is totally different than computer or TV screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #1267
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Aura One exchange

After a few months growing pains with connecting my Aura One to my PCs, it suddenly became impossible - I tried two computers and many USB cables. I phoned Fnac, and after explaining, they asked me whether I wanted to proceed via mail or a shop, I chose the nearest Fnac. They tried connecting to their computer, with no success, and exchanged it.

I am very pleased: I have a brand new One, with a better casing (no gaps on any side), a better screen (more even, especially with the red leds, no greenish tinge at all), and a new battery - mine was beginning to show the very intense use it had for more than a year (a minimum of 5 hours a day).

EDIT: and Pocket works now, just like it does in the H2o2 (it doesn't in the Glo HD).

Last edited by anacreon; 09-19-2017 at 11:27 AM.
anacreon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #1268
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
After a few months growing pains with connecting my Aura One to my PCs, it suddenly became impossible - I tried two computers and many USB cables. I phoned Fnac, and after explaining, they asked me whether I wanted to proceed via mail or a shop, I chose the nearest Fnac. They tried connecting to their computer, with no success, and exchanged it.

I am very pleased: I have a brand new One, with a better casing (no gaps on any side), a better screen (more even, especially with the red leds, no greenish tinge at all), and a new battery - mine was beginning to show the very intense use it had for more than a year (a minimum of 5 hours a day).
I had some problems a few weeks ago too. It would connect but as soon as I started Calibre, it would just stop responding. I finally did a complete factory reset. And that worked. I've not tried to connect it to my new PC (recently replaced my PC, going from W7 to W10...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #1269
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I am very pleased: I have a brand new One, with a better casing (no gaps on any side)
So they fixed that?

I think I'd have skipped the flush screen if I could... The KPW1 has a raised bezel, and while dust can get stuck against it, it's easy to clean off. The KA1 is almost impossible to keep clean.

As the KA1 is glued shut, I'm quite sure that it's also impossible to replace the battery, something I overlooked to check when I bought it because I wanted the bigger screen.

Sometimes, when thinking about it, I feel I should have just stuck with the KPW1 (which I also still have), because of the following advantages:

- Page numbers I set in calibre actually work there as well.
- It NEVER stays on when I shut the cover. The KA1 has stayed active times in the last month, messing up the Time To Read (a book suddenly has 30 hours read) and draining the battery
- The KPW1 has better build quality and a replaceable battery (for sure).
- It doesn't have the big screen, which is a disadvantage, but threfore it is smaller...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #1270
zillawill
zillawill began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Figured I'd ask here rather then new thread, wheres best place to grab a KA1 in UK? mostly for return purpose, not sure if 7.8" will suit me
zillawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #1271
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillawill View Post
Figured I'd ask here rather then new thread, wheres best place to grab a KA1 in UK? mostly for return purpose, not sure if 7.8" will suit me
You should be able to buy online from the websites of W.H.Smith, Argos and John Lewis.

Some of their larger stores may also have them in stock but you'd probably need to check before visiting.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #1272
zillawill
zillawill began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You should be able to buy online from the websites of W.H.Smith, Argos and John Lewis.

Some of their larger stores may also have them in stock but you'd probably need to check before visiting.
Yeah just not sure how good they're with returns, always buy my stuff from amazon cause they're good with that
zillawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #1273
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillawill View Post
Yeah just not sure how good they're with returns, always buy my stuff from amazon cause they're good with that
I've bought various things online from all of them but I've only ever had to return anything (once only and it wasn't a Kobo) to John Lewis. I had no problem at all.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #1274
ammar dawood
ammar dawood began at the beginning.

Light Coming From The Cover

Dear Friends,

I'm happy that I bought my new Kobo Aura One today!

However, I have light coming out from above the Charging/Loading indicator light, and from below the rear cover (beside the charging cable and can be seen with full brightness) please see attached pictures and advise if this is a defect; will it affect the waterproof feature?

Thanks in Advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2017-10-21_00-07-21.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	159570   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2017-10-21_00-07-36.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	159571  
ammar dawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #1275
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar dawood View Post
However, I have light coming out from above the Charging/Loading indicator light, and from below the rear cover (beside the charging cable and can be seen with full brightness) please see attached pictures and advise if this is a defect; will it affect the waterproof feature?
As long as the lights aren't bothering you when reading there is no issue. The waterproofing on the KA1 is done by coating of the internal parts (can't remember the name of the company at the moment, but if you search you'll find it) so water getting inside the device is not a concern.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote