Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Thanks, Coplate!
There are several 5.8.1 sources on the Amazon page.
I assume this is the one you're referring to?
Kindle_src_5.8.1_2974910023.tar.gz (Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation)
The will all be identical.
In fact, they are probably identical several version either side of that one.
After all, they are sources, and sources don't change all that often in a production environment.
At least when they don't include the major feature providing (proprietary) software.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #47
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, Coplate!
There are several 5.8.1 sources on the Amazon page.
I assume this is the one you're referring to?
Kindle_src_5.8.1_2974910023.tar.gz (Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation)

For best cases you should pick the one for your kindle. There can be some small differences between the versions, but if they have the same filename on that site, then they will be the same. Like @knc1 said, it does look like all version have the same source for 5.8.2.

If you look at the 5.8.9.2 source for example those have a slightly different filename for every device. But that also has a different setup process I haven't tried yet.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #48
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
I made an attempt to start with method 1. But got stuck: had downloaded and installed vmware player on a windows box. downloaded the debian vm image. but kept getting a file corrupt message from vmware player when i tried to load the image.

Then, I was just idly browsing through the search results for "gcc" query. Found this recent post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&highlight=gcc by theol0403.

This was more than enough for my needs!

On my Ubuntu netbook, I already had Qemu. I downloaded the debian wheezy armel image and the two associated boot files. Brought up the debian armel image. Took a long time to boot. Did an apt-get update. Installed gcc and make.

Then downloaded the latest source for the CLI application I wanted to port over to the Kindles. This is Popeye, which member encol had already done a port for me earlier in this thread, for the previous version.

Extracted the source to a folder inside the armel image. From within the folder, gave a "make -f makefile.unx" command. It took nearly 4 hours to compile. But the final executable worked on the debian image. I also copied over encol's earlier port and this too worked!

Finally, copied the executable over to my PW1. Here too it worked OK. haven't yet tried on my PW3, but I'm sure it'll work there too.

So, this method seems to be a simpler and quicker way to get stuff compiled for the Kindles. Also, the source code compiled cleanly without any need for tweaking the make file, etc. This may be something rare or a testimony to the developers !

Will update the separate Popeye thread next.

Thanks to coplate, encol, knc1 and especially theol0403 for his new thread!

Edit 13-Jul-17: Debian version wrongly mentioned as Jessie instead of Wheezy. Corrected.

Last edited by nasser; 07-13-2017 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Wheezy, not Jessie!
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #49
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
I made an attempt to start with method 1. But got stuck: had downloaded and installed vmware player on a windows box. downloaded the debian vm image. but kept getting a file corrupt message from vmware player when i tried to load the image.
Just if someone else wants to try this method, i used a brand new Debian installation on Virtualbox and it worked ok
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Just if someone else wants to try this method, i used a brand new Debian installation on Virtualbox and it worked ok
If you haven't made any personal modifications to that install - -
You could use the "Export Appliance" feature of VB to create a post-able image.
(Too big to post here, but you could @MediaFire's free service - or PM me, and I'll stick it on the (paid by me) file servers used for the jailbreak images).

Ah, - -
If you have it set to 'fixed size' VM disk image it will be much bigger an Appliance than if you had it set to 'dynamic size'.
Just a hint.
Oh - and mention if the guest is 32bit or 64bit (because I don't think people with 32bit VB host can run a 64bit VB guest - but we can experiment with that).
Old 07-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #51
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My VB disk image is about 10G at the moment, and i have some personal stuff on it, so i can't share.
Anyway, creating a new Debian machine is quite trivial: just create a new Linux machine (i used a 64 bit one), download the Debian ISO and install on it, then follow instructions of the post 2 to add armel architecture and create armdisk img
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #52
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
My VB disk image is about 10G at the moment, and i have some personal stuff on it, so i can't share.
Anyway, creating a new Debian machine is quite trivial: just create a new Linux machine (i used a 64 bit one), download the Debian ISO and install on it, then follow instructions of the post 2 to add armel architecture and create armdisk img
There are things about that in addition to its size (and personal contents) that keep it from being "General Purpose".

Currently, I am setting up a new Linux installation on my computer to replace the old one (eventually).
I was intending to make VB instances for my own use, so when I get started on that part of the project, I'll pay attention to coming up with a "GP" image that I can post.

But nobody hold their breath, I have been working on my new OpenSuse Tumbleweed install for months now. (Not that it is difficult, but I do a lot of 'customization' to get things 'my way').

So no ETA can be offered.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So no ETA can be offered.
The ETA has come and gone (I stopped trying to build it my hand):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288574

No cross-compile or chroot setup yet, but somebody give me a little feedback on the virtual host development build please.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #54
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks to encol's prodding, I finally decided to bite the bullet and attempt "method #1" again!

Since I was already on Ubuntu, had armel architecture in it, had qemu installed, I directly went to the 2nd half of the steps: wget vmlinuz, wget initrd, qemu-img create & qemu-system-arm..

Even though I wasn't running "an emulator on an emulator", and only qemu directly on Ubuntu, it still took almost a whole day for the last step to finish.

I completed the remaining steps and got the debian jessie image running.

But now, the network configuration of the VM seems to be faulty: not able to install any packages, not able to ssh into the VM...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #55
encol
Evangelist

from inside the VM, try:
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Code:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
and post results
Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #56
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks to encol's prodding, I finally decided to bite the bullet and attempt "method #1" again!

Since I was already on Ubuntu, had armel architecture in it, had qemu installed, I directly went to the 2nd half of the steps: wget vmlinuz, wget initrd, qemu-img create & qemu-system-arm..

Even though I wasn't running "an emulator on an emulator", and only qemu directly on Ubuntu, it still took almost a whole day for the last step to finish.

I completed the remaining steps and got the debian jessie image running.

But now, the network configuration of the VM seems to be faulty: not able to install any packages, not able to ssh into the VM...
Probable because you where using qemu-system.
That has to be slow, it is emulating bare hardware.

Use qemu-user (user-land emulation only) whenever possible.
That maps system calls from the emulated code to the host system calls rather than try to emulate the underlying hardware.

Of course, qemu-user does place some restrictions on the kernel version running on the host vs the kernel version the code being run under emulation was written for, so that the mapping functions work as intended.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #57
nasser
Evangelist

[/CODE]
Quote:
from inside the VM, try:
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
Code:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
and post results
For Debian-Armel-Jessie VM:
Code:
Ping 8.8.8.8
<After some time I pressed Ctrl-C>
38 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 37198ms

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 10.0.2.3
Old 07-18-2017, 05:40 AM   #58
nasser
Evangelist

One more:

Code:
apt-get install make

Bus errorackage lists... 0%
What's an errorackage?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #59
nasser
Evangelist

From my earlier install of wheezy, same result for ping and cat /etc/resolv.conf.
But for apt-get install make,
Code:
make is already the newest version.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
[/CODE]

For Debian-Armel-Jessie VM:
Code:
Ping 8.8.8.8
<After some time I pressed Ctrl-C>
38 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 37198ms

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 10.0.2.3
The command did what you told it to do, transmit a ping forever.
You probably wanted:
ping -c <count> where-ever

- - - -

I have seen 'ping' utilities where the default was one ping.
(Windows maybe? OS2? something I never use any longer.)
But the *nix ping defaults to continuous until stopped.

Tags
cross compile, debian, source