Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
kawaiinun
kawaiinun
kawaiinun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need suggestion

i'm staying in Bangkok thailand . mostly i read txt ,mobipocket and pdf books . i cannot find E reader here . i wish i can buy e reader that
- not more than 400 US .
- support files
- not too slow
- dictionary ( build in or buy additional )

which reader could be ? and where shoul i buy please ?

Thanks a lot ^^
kawaiinun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
BeBook (=Hanlin v3) http://mybebook.com/
You can read my review (see signature).
Don't know about dictionaries, haven't tried that yet.
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook Gen3 is probably your best choice. It has the best dictionary lookup facilities of any reader on the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
kawaiinun
kawaiinun

thank you ^^ Harry and Johanm
Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello kawaiinum, and welcome to MobileRead.

I'm sure you'll get lots of valuable, sensible advice here.

Read our "Wiki" (at the top of this page) and good luck to you!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HarryT, I can see where a built-in dictionary would be useful.
Now that I've had time to get acquainted with and really use my reader,
there have been times I wanted to be able to just click!

Does the Cybook let you look up a word within the book you're reading
then return you to your spot? If so, that is extremely convenient!

I have a Sony 505 and thought about adding a dictionary to it
but not sure if I want to go through backing out of story to find
dictionary and then make my way back to my spot.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Does the Cybook let you look up a word within the book you're reading then return you to your spot? If so, that is extremely convenient!
That is exactly how it works. There is an option within the eBook Menu to "Lookup" then you browse to the word you want to lookup and select it. If you have more than 1 dictionary installed you can choose which definition to view. Once you have read the definition you just click the "Back" button until you are back in the eBook where you left off.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
That is exactly how it works. There is an option within the eBook Menu to "Lookup" then you browse to the word you want to lookup and select it. If you have more than 1 dictionary installed you can choose which definition to view. Once you have read the definition you just click the "Back" button until you are back in the eBook where you left off.
Thank you, Justy!
That is a neat feature.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
kawaiinun
kawaiinun

Thanks for all advice ^^ I have read the amazon kindle feature ..there is also have build in dictionary that can look up at the time we are reading and go back to where we left ,too .
Kindle 2 opened preorder ..do you think it is a good choice for me ?
Though the wifi can not be used in bangkok but faster CPU ,bigger screen and More Ram memory looks really interesting
Old 02-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiinun View Post
Thanks for all advice ^^ I have read the amazon kindle feature ..there is also have build in dictionary that can look up at the time we are reading and go back to where we left ,too .
The Kindle does have a dictionary, but it's a "fixed" one which cannot be replaced. The CyBook has access to literally hundreds of different dictionaries. If dictionary lookup is important to you (as it is to me) the CyBook is the clear winner.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that Cybook is best for multiple dictionaries.

What the Kindle 2 has is in-line lookup to one dictionary (Oxford American is included), which is fast enough to be used routinely. Several of the demo videos show this in action (e.g. one of the videos at Engadget), going from one word on the page to another and seeing the definition updated at the bottom of the page as you do so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
kawaiinun
kawaiinun

Thanks ,Harry And Wallcraft.