Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #16
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
If you're interested in hard science fiction, Alison Sinclair might be worth a look-up. There's an interesting article online about world building and science in her novel Blueheart: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/blueheart.htm
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I notice that garygibsonsf has been too shy to recommend his own excellent Stealing Light, which is available as an ebook from waterstones for the sony if you follow the link. I'm not sure if there's a kindle edition about the place, but you can always demand one from amazon. This is hard SF, but perhaps not "hard as nails".

I would not have been so shy to mention my own book if it were hard enough for you, but I doubt it

Definitely fitting that description is Blindsight by Peter Watts, but I can only find it as a kindle edition, unfortunately. However, earlier books of his are available for free on the download section of this forum.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #18
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Vernor Vinge with his A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky
Robert Buettner with his Orphanage series if you like your SF a la Starship Troopers

I am a big fan of Richard Morgan and his Takeshi Kovacs series.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
Definitely fitting that description is Blindsight by Peter Watts, but I can only find it as a kindle edition, unfortunately. However, earlier books of his are available for free on the download section of this forum.
Haven't looked too hard, have you?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21540
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #20
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I hang my head in shame

My only excuse is... *quickly leaves room*
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #21
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Great topic--I've recently been reading Scalzi and Richard Morgan and I recently re-acquainted myself with Vernor Vinge through the Kindle edition of Fire in the Sky (all of whom are mentioned above).

I would add to this list Chris Moriarty--Spin Control. Emergent systems, AI's, a conflict between humans on a dying earth and space-born genetic constructs, and a spy story as well -- all told with a great writing style and attention to detail and character.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #22
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Transhuman - a collection of short stories from Baen.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
Vernor Vinge with his A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky
Robert Buettner with his Orphanage series if you like your SF a la Starship Troopers

I am a big fan of Richard Morgan and his Takeshi Kovacs series.
Hmmm.. I really liked A Fire Upon the Deep, but I am not sure I would consider it Hard SF. Though set in the same universe (actually something of a prequel), A Deepness in the Sky is closer to Hard SF.

There are some really cool ideas in A Fire Upon the Deep, but certain aspects of it are too far out of our current understanding of the Universe to make it hard.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
[QUOTE=tHeFiRsTiDioT;292116]Vernor Vinge with his A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky

I'm with McHale here. I LOVE those, but wonder if it is true hard scifi.

Don't start with Blind Sight. It's #4 in the series. Start with Starfish, Maelstrom, Behemoth, then Blind Sight. I'm slowly making my way thru the series, and it is great. Now if I only had 5 uninterrupted minutes to actually read them!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #25
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I am so excited - what a great list of books - in browsing them, some just jumped out as exactly what I was looking for - and - I love finding new authors for me. Thanks again. I made a list of all the recommendations.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
John Scalzi is the new Heinlein.

Check Ray Gun Revival, too. Some good reads there for fans of hard SF.
Thanks for the ray gun revival link! Good stuff!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'm with McHale here. I LOVE those, but wonder if it is true hard scifi.
N00b question, but how do you define true hard sci-fi?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #28
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
How about some appetizers first, here are some short story suggestions.

Becoming Elijah by Bob Meads
Dinosaurs by Walter Jon Williams
Life Hutch by Harlan Ellison
Quarks at Appomattox by Charles L. Harness
Think Like a Dinosaur by James Patrick Kelly

Main course, novels.
Artifact by Gregory Benford

You didn't mention everything you had read, but I hope you have read Greg Bear's Eon, Legacy and Eternity; and Asimov's robot stories.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #29
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish

Surprisingly, no mention of Arthur C Clarke?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
[QUOTE=DixieGal;292262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
Don't start with Blind Sight. It's #4 in the series. Start with Starfish, Maelstrom, Behemoth, then Blind Sight. I'm slowly making my way thru the series, and it is great. Now if I only had 5 uninterrupted minutes to actually read them!
I do not think that is true. Check out http://www.rifters.com/ were you see that Blindsight is in a different time line and not in the same series. I have only read Blindsight and Starfish and I do not remember any overlap at all.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote