Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

There are times when I think Shakespeare had it right:
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." 2 Henry VI, 4
I don't mean to quibble and I am NOT a lawyer.
But a reading of the entire scene reveals Shakespeare had a different meaning for the often used quote than most of the people who use it.
It was intended to eliminate those who might stand in the way of a contemplated revolution -- thus underscoring the important role that lawyers can play in society.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #62
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I cant imagine being stuck in a car and being forced to listen to the wife's audio book of Sookie Stackhouse......
Well, she could have a road map and be giving you directions based on her reading of the map.
My last experience of the above ended with my wife's following quote, "I can't help it. The map is WRONG.", as we aimlessly wandered the backroads of rural Georgia, totally lost in the night.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #63
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I don't mean to quibble and I am NOT a lawyer.
But a reading of the entire scene reveals Shakespeare had a different meaning for the often used quote than most of the people who use it.
It was intended to eliminate those who might stand in the way of a contemplated revolution -- thus underscoring the important role that lawyers can play in society.
More likely, though, it meant exactly what it means today - lawyers are unpopular and the line gets a cheap laugh/cheer from the audience. Ol' Willie was a LOT less deep than English teachers want you to believe, almost always going for the cheap laughs and sex jokes. Frankly, if he were alive today, he'd be writing sitcoms rather than doing theatre.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You know some things are just stupid. I don't quite understand it but seems to me most people would use headphones at any rate.. and I cant imagine being stuck in a car and being forced to listen to the wife's audio book of Sookie Stackhouse......
Though I have seldom seen the law enforced, wearing headphones while driving in British Columbia is prohibited. The exact wording is quoted below:

A headphone, earphone or earbud may only be used in one ear, and only if it is part of a hands free telephone function. Using it for a function other than hands free telephone if the device is capable of another function in addition to the telephone is prohibited.

Basically, you must use the car's speakers to listen to an audio book which means no passengers allowed. I actually queried one publisher about how the policy would apply if I had my mother-in-law who was deaf as a post and a non-speaker of English as the only passenger in the vehicle. The response was that I would be violating their rights.

I have seen people dialing and chatting on their cellphones, texting, doing their eyelashes, breast-feeding a baby (this while driving at ~100km/h!) and pretty much any other activity that anyone with a moiety of common sense would avoid while driving at any speed.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
Well, she could have a road map and be giving you directions based on her reading of the map.
My last experience of the above ended with my wife's following quote, "I can't help it. The map is WRONG.", as we aimlessly wandered the backroads of rural Georgia, totally lost in the night.
Had that happen once the first time we drove down to Seattle from Vancouver back in the dim days when we didn't have GPS. A friend brought along a map of Washington in case we got lost. Unfortunately, when we did get lost and opened the map, it turned out to be a map of Washington, D.C. Shall I say it wasn't much use?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #66
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Is there any more news about the new kobo reader that can be written about in the thread entitled, "A new Kobo reader?"
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #67
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Is there any more news about the new kobo reader that can be written about in the thread entitled, "A new Kobo reader?"
Ahh, you're (comparatively) new to MR. Topic drift is a fine old tradition here. As far as I can tell, there wasn't much new to add after the first post! Speculating on unannounced products is also a fine old tradition.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #68
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Ahh, you're (comparatively) new to MR. Topic drift is a fine old tradition here. As far as I can tell, there wasn't much new to add after the first post! Speculating on unannounced products is also a fine old tradition.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #69
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Am I the only Kobo forum member despairing that apparently only Kobo forum insiders understand the devious manners by which we keep threads we like alive?

Apologies, apparently it was Hyde's night out. Who knew that potion contained Tequila and lime?

Last edited by TechniSol; 07-31-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I'm a victim of my own Id...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #70
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Sadly no physical page-turn buttons. Definitely liking the look of the less recessed screen, though.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #71
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
BBC News story confirms completely flat front featuring new capacitive touch screen with pinch zoom functionality.

Link: BBC News: Kobo flattens Aura e-reader to help challenge Kindle

Enjoy
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #72
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post
BBC News story confirms completely flat front featuring new capacitive touch screen with pinch zoom functionality.

Link: BBC News: Kobo flattens Aura e-reader to help challenge Kindle

Enjoy
I have my doubts that pinch to zoom will be implemented in the short term. I hope I'm wrong.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #73
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
It's a shame they didn't revise the Aura HD, even if it was only to change the case to a soft touch material like almost every other reader out there. That's the only thing that's making me dither over getting an HD.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #74
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I have my doubts that pinch to zoom will be implemented in the short term. I hope I'm wrong.
Kobo's own press release says "With pinch-and-zoom capabilities for FLePubs/PDFs", so I'm guessing that it will be implemented in the short term. (What are "FLePubs", though?)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
fixed layout ePubs
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote