Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Apparently completely disabled. I can not only NOT load the Appstore (and my apps there, including some unlock keys), I also can't load an app that is direct from a company (so, no controller for my A/V receiver or audio jukebox, for example).

It does have some pluses (and is nice to read books "in store" when at B&N).
Root, enable sideloading, disable root again. I think that will let you keep all the benefits of stock plus sideloading without needing to deal with root access. Or you can just root and keep it rooted. I think so long as you have stock still you can keep the in-store advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
These are great tablets especially at this price. However I hate the proprietary connector so will pass. If it was microUSB I'd be on it in a flash.
I thought I wouldn't like that, but I actually don't mind. It's kind of an advantage actually, I can always find the charger in the nest of cords.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Went ahead and bought the HD+. Going to root the sucker and play with it. I wanted a larger screen tablet to read comics on and watch videos.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I got an HD+ during the earlier sale (darn it!) and have left it stock so far and find I'm enjoying it. It's a nice little tablet. May try to root it later.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I also bit during the last sale (when they were taking the coupon off the sale price, before the weekend was over, so at a slightly better deal than this sale, but not by much).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Nook HD+ arrived today and even though the updated stock ROM is good since the Google Play store is available but I went ahead and installed CynogenMod and now the HD+ is a great Android tablet for the money.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
The 32GB version is the Today's Special Value at QVC for Sunday, 6/23 at $169.95 with an extra charger included.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
The 32GB version is the Today's Special Value at QVC for Sunday, 6/23 at $169.95 with an extra charger included.
So, $10 off and you probably get a refurb? Does it include a full warranty?

Not sure why you'd need two chargers, but I guess that's worth an extra $10, maybe.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
Here's the link to the QVC special: http://www.qvc.com/webapp/wcs/stores...atalogId=10151. The product headline states "Barnes & Noble NOOK HD 9" 32GB Tablet w/ 2 Chargers & Digital Content," but it's actually the NOOK HD+. The offer includes the additional charging kit (USB cable and power adapter) as well as $143 of digital content. I assume the tablet is new, as I see no mention of it being refurbished. There is a one-year warranty.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Not sure why you'd need two chargers, but I guess that's worth an extra $10, maybe.
Both the charger and the cable are proprietary, so loss or damage of either removes the ability to recharge.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Both the charger and the cable are proprietary, so loss or damage of either removes the ability to recharge.
Not quite true, as long as you have the cable you can charge using a PC or a standard charger. It will take about 4x longer to charge though.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Not quite true, as long as you have the cable you can charge using a PC or a standard charger. It will take about 4x longer to charge though.
Good to know. Can't say I'm surprised that B&N fibs on the matter.

Does the .25x rate apply to other high current chargers as well because of handshaking issues?

There is a hack for Nokia N900 phones to allow fast charging from non-Nokia chargers. Is there something similar for Nook HD?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Good to know. Can't say I'm surprised that B&N fibs on the matter.

Does the .25x rate apply to other high current chargers as well because of handshaking issues?

There is a hack for Nokia N900 phones to allow fast charging from non-Nokia chargers. Is there something similar for Nook HD?
I believe you can only get fast charging with the original nook chargers and nook cables.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

There's a thread at XDA developers where users are reporting that the Nexus 7 and HP touch charging blocks (you obviously must use the Nook cable) work. Apparently the data+ pins in the charging block must be shorted in order for the HD+ to be charged.

So, it's a hardware issue.

I need to add that the HD+ can charge with other charging blocks but it will take much longer.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 06-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #29
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Cable yes, but charger no. I use the samsung charger on about everything (as it is extremely picky and won't charge from the one for the nook, kindle fire or ipad, but the others are happy with nearly anything).
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

For a discussion of the BARNES & NOBLES NEWS RELEASE, please go to this thread in MobileRead's NEWS FORUM:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216599

----

This Deals/Freebies thread should be for postings of PRICE CUTS AND DEALS FROM B&N.

Thank you.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-25-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote