Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur
ereaderundecided began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question How to export Highlights

Hey guys,

I'm currently still undecided which eBook reader to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Sony PRS-T2 OR the the PocketBook 622.

My main criteria is that there must be some way to export my highlights on ePub and mobi. (I don't care about any notes=drawings).

What I found out however, it that the PRS-T2 only support 140 characters with the send to Evernote feature. I'm mean WTF?! Why even bother with implementing that feature if it only supports 140 characters! That should have been a no-brainer

Now, the Kindle does, however, have a clippings file that you can work with and there are several tools out there for exporting these clippings e.g.

http://www.klippingskollector.com
https://sites.google.com/site/kindlethearr/klippings/

But, I don't like the Kindle because of the closed eco-system and it does not support epub.

Question: Is there anyway I can export my highlights (ePub and mobi) from the Sony or Pocketbook reader in a txt form? I wouldn't mind installing or findeling with some coded tool. I just want to export all my highlights from a book into an editable form.

Question: In what format are the highlights saved on the Sony PRS-T2?
Question: In what format are the highlights saved on the PocketBook 622?

Why hasn't this been implemented already? Is there no demand for such a feature? Am I the only one that really uses the feature?

Last edited by ereaderundecided; 09-05-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: .
ereaderundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
What I found out however, it that the PRS-T2 only support 140 characters with the send to Evernote feature. I'm mean WTF?! Why even bother with implementing that feature if it only supports 140 characters! That should have been a no-brainer
I just highlighted a full page of text on my mom's T2 and uploaded it to Evernote. It allowed 1,200 characters (222 words) before it cut off.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 09-22-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: correction
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

140 characters limitation is for DRM protected eBooks. Otherwise, there should be no limit unless the system may limit to a few thousand characters due to its resource constraints.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

@yts06mgr & @pssquirrel

Thanks for that info! That is in deed very helpful. Sony didn't mention anything about that restriction on DRM books, but makes perfect sense. It seems Sony doesn't know it product that well. As there claim here:
http://blog.sony.com/how-you-can-use...-reader-prs-t2

140 character limit.

Only drawback now is that Evernote save every highlight as a separate "file" or "filing". Can you guys confirm that?

Which eReader would you then buy if the highlighting export is most important to you? Sony, Pocketbook, Kindle?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
@yts06mgr & @pssquirrel

Thanks for that info! That is in deed very helpful. Sony didn't mention anything about that restriction on DRM books, but makes perfect sense. It seems Sony doesn't know it product that well. As there claim here:
http://blog.sony.com/how-you-can-use...-reader-prs-t2

140 character limit.

Only drawback now is that Evernote save every highlight as a separate "file" or "filing". Can you guys confirm that?

Which eReader would you then buy if the highlighting export is most important to you? Sony, Pocketbook, Kindle?
I would strongly suggest to the sony developpers to think a way to make the notes hierarchical, with different colors would be solved probably next years.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
...solved probably next years.
It's still inconceivable to me how we can send a man to the moon, but not have the most basic highlighting feature on eReaders. It's 2012 goddammit Maybe I'm the only one that is extremely frustrated about this topic.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Every highlight is uploaded as a separate "note." But once uploaded to Evernote, you can select multiple notes and merge them into a single note. Then you can cut-and-paste that single note into a text document or export it into a single html file.

P.S. Just noticed this question above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided
Question: Is there anyway I can export my highlights (ePub and mobi) from the Sony or Pocketbook reader in a txt form? I wouldn't mind installing or findeling with some coded tool. I just want to export all my highlights from a book into an editable form.
I should add that notes are editable in Evernote. So you have the option to leave them in Evernote and edit to your heart's content, or cut-and-paste them into a separate document to do with as you wish.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 09-05-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Every highlight is uploaded as a separate "note." But once uploaded to Evernote, you can select multiple notes and merge them into a single note. Then you can cut-and-paste that single note into a text document or export it into a single html file.

P.S. Just noticed this question above:

I should add that notes are editable in Evernote. So you have the option to leave them in Evernote and edit to your heart's content, or cut-and-paste them into a separate document to do with as you wish.
Thx again! That makes the process more manageable.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

@pssquirrel: I do have one last question. What happens when the Sony is NOT connected through Wifi and you highlight a passage? Does it ask for the credentials or cache the passage and uploaded it once online again.

Otherwise the device would need to be online all the time in order to use this feature.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
What happens when the Sony is NOT connected through Wifi and you highlight a passage? Does it ask for the credentials or cache the passage and uploaded it once online again.

Otherwise the device would need to be online all the time in order to use this feature.
Highlighting works fine with WiFi turned off. It saves to the T2's internal memory. When you want to upload to Evernote, simply turn WiFi back on. But uploading is not automatic. After you turn WiFi on, you'll need to open your list of notes/highlights then upload them. As far as I can tell, each note/highlight has to be uploaded individually, one by one. This can be a little tedious if you have a lot of notes. If anyone figures out how to upload in batches, give a holler!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

@pssquirrel Thx again! You insight in this device has been soo valuable to me. Guess I'm going to go for the Onyx device where you export it into a consolidated form. Otherwise the Sony (let disregard all the formats) is a great device!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
On the T1, your notes are kept in a SQLite database which is accessible on the READER disc when plugged in to a computer. There are a couple of threads here which tell how to do it, and even a .NET program to pull them all off. I may write a python program to do it someday.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

@ereaderundecided, if you need to export multiple highlighted passages in an ebook, then Sony 'Reader for PC' application has an option to export all of them in a single RTF file. This may reduce the number of steps you may need to take.