Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #91
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Those two features of the Kindle are NOT unique to the Kindle. Sony has the Pearl screen and all readers with Vizplex or Pearl have the same no glare. So they are outright lies saying that they are unique to the Kindle. They are not unique to the Kindle. Others have these very same two features.

And you are using the term troll incorrectly BTW.
I gave you the correct definition of *unique* in this situation. so sorry about your bad comprehension skills, which would explain why continuing to troll the kindle forums dispersing bad information and general negativity hasn't gotten through to you to GO AWAY!!!! WE DON'T NEED YOUR BAD JUJU HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use a Kindle 3 as my primary ereader. I just bought a Sony 350 on clearance to use for library books and for guests on extended visits. I'm quite happy that library lending is coming to the Kindle.

With this new influx of people borrowing books, I do care about the numbers. It can only mean longer wait times at current budget levels.
and guess what? increased library usage creates increased funding, and more "friends of the library"
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #92
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
With this new influx of people borrowing books, I do care about the numbers. It can only mean longer wait times at current budget levels.
This is true, but it was also inevitable. E-books are exploding in popularity right now. There was no way that wait times weren't going to increase.

I do wonder how much of a difference this will make, though. Obviously, Kindle users aren't used to looking to the library for books. I wouldn't be surprised if the increase in demand was relatively gradual. I don't anticipate half of Kindle users stampeding the library the day after the library borrowing capability is enabled.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #93
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I use a Kindle 3 as my primary ereader. I just bought a Sony 350 on clearance to use for library books and for guests on extended visits. I'm quite happy that library lending is coming to the Kindle.

Then by all means vote for more funds for your library! Limited library resources are a never ending problem, but cutting back funding to the libraries has just made this worse. I'm completely and unequivocably in favour of any step that makes public libraries more accessible to more readers. That can only be a good thing. Worrying that this might make my wait longer? Please, that's so shortsighted.

The announcement makes it clear that this will not require any additional purchases by libraries. It will just solve the format issues for library patrons, without requiring readers to remove DRM to use the resources they've paid for.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #94
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
So, now that we know the libraries will not be required to pay for additional licenses, the major complaint seems to be that more people will now have access to ebooks. For those of you who are concerned that an influx of Kindle users will result in fewer ebooks to go around, I have a few links that you might find helpful:

https://libwww.freelibrary.org/donate/giving.cfm
http://www.lfla.org/support/waystogive/
http://www.nypl.org/support
http://www.friendssfpl.org/?Donate

Worried that your library is strapped for cash? Well, guess what? There's something that you can do about it.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #95
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ok, if it's really true that no new copies of books are required, then I'm all for this!!!
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and guess what? increased library usage creates increased funding, and more "friends of the library"
Sure hope so; but in today's economic climate, I kinda doubt it. I know of several library branches in the greater Seattle metro area that have shut down for the year.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #97
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Our library has actually been doing pretty well budget-wise, although I know of a few area towns that are having problems.

I can tell you that usage demand is way up though. There's been a couple of evenings that I've gone up to the library and haven't been able to get a parking place in their lot. That's pretty significant.

Growing eBook demand does decrease demand in some other areas, but not a direct correlation. For instance, put Janet Evanovich's new release out on Overdrive and then the inter-library loan system won't be shipping the same 10 books on the truck from town to town for the rest of the year.

It's just like with anything else. You try to put your money where it does the most good. As eBook demand goes up, it'll attract more of a budget.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #98
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
World wide, ePub is the #1 format (Blu-Ray)

Where as Kindle is #2 (HD-DVD).
No Kindle is Blu-Ray - The least used format that was proprietry,
HD-DVD - Epub. the universal format.

Look who won.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #99
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
For those of you who are concerned that an influx of Kindle users will result in fewer ebooks to go around, I have a few links that you might find helpful:

https://libwww.freelibrary.org/donate/giving.cfm
http://www.lfla.org/support/waystogive/
http://www.nypl.org/support
http://www.friendssfpl.org/?Donate

Worried that your library is strapped for cash? Well, guess what? There's something that you can do about it.

Well said
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #100
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Those two features of the Kindle are NOT unique to the Kindle. Sony has the Pearl screen and all readers with Vizplex or Pearl have the same no glare. So they are outright lies saying that they are unique to the Kindle. They are not unique to the Kindle. Others have these very same two features.

And you are using the term troll incorrectly BTW.
It's absolutely hilarious that he even searched up the word for you, bolded, enlarged and used a different color for the relevant entry and you can STILL miss it. I suppose you can argue that most eReaders have the pearl screen, but then think again at all the devices that claim eReader capability. The iPad certainly doesn't have a pearl screen...

Quote:
But it will make the lines at the eBook counter a heck of a lot longer. And my question is, will there be a Kindle app for iOS devices after June?
I don't understand why you feel the need to whine and complain. First you complain about the format, then once that is proven to be completely false, you swap onto a new topic.

The people in this thread were sort of complaining about how Kindle users are selfish for splitting the budget of libraries to support their format. Funny how a simple announcement afterwards you guys are being the selfish ones. Instead of including everyone else in this library feature, you want to lock it to yourselves just so that you have shorter wait times?

Seems to me that they are doing this properly. And no matter what type of decision they make, they'll hurt someone and there will be some sort of negative effect. Someone will whine no matter how small the problem is.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #101
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
For sure the increased usage of eBooks in our library systems will most likely spark a change in how the funds are allocated. Perhaps some of the funds originally set up for hardcover books will be transferred to the eBook account. In the long run this will likely increase the overall number of books available in the library system.

Its rather novel to read here about the Kindle as the assumed messiah of eBooks. For sure, JB waited on the sidelines to see what would happen as the pioneers like Sony and the other pioneer brands fared. When he saw that eBooks had a chance he for sure jumped in with the massive marketing available to Amazon with the Kindle. Did he get it right with the first edition. Close, but other models soon followed. I have to admit, that at first I didn't see the advantage of WiFi or 3G in my eReader. However, since I've been using my Rooted NookColor, I find I like and most likely will upgrade when a 3 or 4G system is offered. I like its versatility now that it is rooted. I'm sure JB will move the Kindle in that direction when he can get his techies all in a row.

Eventually, I hope all the various sellers get together and adopt a single format standard for eBooks. I'm tired of having to go jump through hoops to move my Sony ePubs to Nook ePubs, etc. When one reader dies, I don't want all the purchased books for it to die as well.

For sure there are interesting times ahead.

Last edited by Red Alert; 04-20-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added missing word
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #102
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Someone will whine no matter how small the problem is.
History suggests that someone will be JSWolf!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #103
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
When one reader dies, I don't want all the purchased books for it to die as well.
Nor should they. This is why you should proactively remove DRM from all your purchased books. Just to protect against loss. I doubt I'll move away from Kindle, but you never know - someone may come out with a model that I like better. If/when they do, I'll simply move my books to the new reader. Converting as required. Honestly, I don't give a hoot what format it is in, though I admit I'm not a big fan of PDF (because it doesn't reflow well).
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #104
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Excellent - books from the library without people writing in the margins and picking their nose and wiping it on the book - excellent!
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #105
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
CRussel, agreed! I'm in that process now. MY wish is to not need to do it. When I bought a CD for my Sony CD player I didn't need to convert it in order to play it on my Denon CD player. Reason why? Common format.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote