Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
pinosan
pinosan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre update problem under Ubuntu / "E-book converter and library management"

Dear all,

I'm new around here so first of all sorry if this is not the right place to post.

I am using Calibre under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Recently I decided to upgrade from the version distributed through the official Ubuntu repositories (2.85.1) to the latest available one (3.12.0). To do so I followed the method described in https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux ("Binary install").

Calibre itself appears to have been upgraded alright, but I since I did this I keep receiving an error message when running Ubuntu Software Updater. This lists a package named "E-book converter and library management", which is obviously related to Calibre.

Under the tab "Technical Description" / "Changes" for this package I can read the following:

"Changes for calibre-bin versions:
Installed version: 2.55.0+dfsg-1
Available version: 2.85.1-1~getdeb1
This update does not come from a source that supports changelogs."

If I try to install the package, I end up in the Ubuntu error message "Requires installation of untrusted packages - This requires installing packages from unauthenticated sources".

Can any one figure out what I should do to complete the installation of this package (or to avoid the error message each time I update Ubuntu)?

Thanks a lot.
pinosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit m first thought would have been to uninstall the repository version first via Software Center (or whatever means Ubuntu uses for adding / removing programs) and then install the official version.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Similar to what Peter, said. But, I will recommend that if you do a manual Binary Install, then for further subsequent upgrades just use that method to update to the next release, whenever it comes out. And don't touch the apt/Software Center version of it.

Your issue is not related to the binary install at all. So, firstly either fix your source for getdeb by properly adding it to your system by following all the 3 steps specified here: http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu...how_to_install or remove getdeb completely by doing so:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove getdeb-repository
in the commandline. Other things to note is as I said earlier keep only one version of calibre, not both. From what I glean you still have calibre installed from the Software Center. To remove it run:
Code:
sudo apt purge calibre
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote