Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kindle
Exclamation Devanagari text not displayed properly in Kindle 4

I bought a Kindle 4 believing the "World's best selling e-reader" would obviously support the Devanagari script since it has Unicode support.

However, when I try to read Hindi language text files I find that the text is not displayed properly. The matras (vowel signs), samyukta akshars (joint letters) etc. are not rendered correctly. So much so it is virtually impossible to read even one sentence without getting a headache. Most Linuxes do a good job of rendering the Devanagari script so I wonder why Kindle can't handle it.

Can somebody tell me how to contact Amazon's development team so they can build an update to fix this problem?

Attached is a screenshot showing this problem.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Devanagari_problem.gif
Views:	603
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	111628  

Last edited by geekyworld; 09-21-2013 at 03:55 AM.
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm a bit confused now. Didn't you say in this post that the Kindle supports Devanagari???

When creating your own Kindle books please remember that only the new KF8 format (AZW3 files) support some Indic languages.

I.e., if you use Calibre make sure to select AZW3 as the output format or use Kindle Previewer, which will automatically generate both formats. Also transfer files via USB/Calibre do not use Kindle e-mail.

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-22-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kindle
Thanks for your reply Doitsu. It is working now.

In the referred post you forgot to mention that only the new KF8/AZW3 format supports Devanagari. Besides, I had not bought a Kindle then so could not cross check. My statement then was based only on your screenshot.

Anyhow, the issue is resolved now thanks to your help. Only I wish raw unicode text files also supported Devanagari. Amazon now has an exclusive e-shop for India, perhaps they should look into the matter of providing native Indic support and content.

Last edited by geekyworld; 09-22-2013 at 01:23 AM.
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devanagari, hindi, india, kindle, kindle 4